Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 08:25 PM

31,915 posts, read 26,999,286 times

Advertisements

Instead the Houston jury sentenced Dr. Shafeeq Sheikh, to ten years probation.

Dr. Sheikh's defense attorney Ms. Lisa Andrews summed up things to the jury:

“He made a mistake, but he didn’t sexually assault her,” Ms. Andrews told jurors during her closing argument, the Chronicle reported. “Here we have this Latina woman with her fake [breasts] that came onto that little nerdy middle-aged guy and he lost his mind.”

A jury convicts a Texas doctor of raping a hospital patient

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.0f1443216057
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 08:37 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
He should have been sentenced to a tall tree and a short piece of wire.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:39 PM

5,997 posts, read 3,735,836 times
He must have been a Republican.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
He must have been a Republican.

No, an immigrant from India.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
He should have been sentenced to a tall tree and a short piece of wire.
I'm thinking are there no more flatbeds (or even a horse) and rope in Texas?

Old 08-20-2018, 09:03 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
If, as the defense alleged, the patient came on to the doctor, aggressively trying to initiate sex with him, and the doctor went along with it, what is the appropriate punishment? He acted in a highly unethical manner, but does he belong in prison? Maybe losing his medical license and being put on probation is about right.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:18 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
From everything I've read she was sedated. So let's argue for a minute that in a sedated state the woman makes some sort of suggestive remarks.

It would be criminal for a doctor knowing what he knows to take advantage of that.

He should have received a prison sentence.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:25 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
From everything I've read she was sedated. So let's argue for a minute that in a sedated state the woman makes some sort of suggestive remarks.

It would be criminal for a doctor knowing what he knows to take advantage of that.

He should have received a prison sentence.
From everything I've read, which is one article linked to above, the defense alleged that she was not very sedated, presenting evidence that she was calling and texting friends, and that she didn't merely make suggestive remarks but actually grabbed the doctor's crotch. Given that scenario, what is the appropriate punishment?

Old 08-20-2018, 09:31 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,190,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
From everything I've read, which is the one article linked to above, the defense alleged that she was not very sedated, presenting evidence that she was calling and texting friends, and that she didn't merely make suggestive remarks but actually grabbed the doctor crotch. Given that scenario, what is the appropriate punishment?
I read conflicting accounts, the first that said she was sedated and unable to defend herself, and the second similar to what you state above. Obviously, the jury found enough evidence to convict him, but the same jury then chose to give him probation, so there must be some mitigating factors. Regardless, his behavior is totally and completely unprofessional, unethical and a violation of a patient, and his career is, deservedly, pretty much over before it even started (and I mention that last part because I believe he was a Resident, not a fully licensed practicing physician).

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 08-20-2018 at 09:43 PM..

Old 08-20-2018, 09:39 PM

21,482 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
If, as the defense alleged, the patient came on to the doctor, aggressively trying to initiate sex with him, and the doctor went along with it, what is the appropriate punishment? He acted in a highly unethical manner, but does he belong in prison? Maybe losing his medical license and being put on probation is about right.
He lost his license and is required to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life. It’s a virtual prison sentence. He didn’t get off that lightly.

It said some people think the woman went there with the intention of filing a lawsuit. Maybe the jurors thought so too? We didn’t hear all the evidence so I’ll reserve judgment until I hear more about the case.

But the texting during that time period she was supposed to be sedated is a bit troublesome. And the doctor didn’t have to take the bait if that’s what it was, so he deserves his punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies