Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 10:49 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,115,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Dare I say that the markets as you imagine them wouldn't exist without the state. In fact, the very idea of an anarchist being excited over making "money" seems strange - largely because y'all think government issued currency is non-legitimate. Surely you realize your business is possible because the dollar is a stable currency, greatly reducing the burden of financial transactions.

Try running an economy or business with Bitcoin or gold - it's impossible. Way too volatile.
"Stable currency."

FRNs have lost 97% of their value since they were created in 1913, and nearly 80% since Nixon took us off the gold standard.

We only speak of "money" because it's still the predominate means of payment. If my mortgage company accepted Crypto I'd pay them that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
How could they influence to even a minimal degree without being capitalists?

No monopoly of currency.

No cronies on regulatory boards.

No lobbyists writing laws.

No infrastructure benefits to suit their needs (ever see a town bend over backwards in fire, policing, roads, drainage for a Walmart?).

Gone. All gone. You must rightfully own property. You can't commit aggression. The State gives them the property and commits aggression on their behalf now.

During Vietnam John Lennon famously started his "War is over...if you want it" campaign. The idea isn't you simply wish the war was over and the two sides would come to the table for a peaceful treaty. The idea is if you simply stop believing in the war it is over...even if it isn't.

The government isn't real. The people who are in it are real. The buildings exist. The papers exist. But the idea of legitimate authority is a belief. Any belief is only as good as you want it to be.

Stop believing in the government.
I'll just drop this here for the faithful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6uVV2Dcqt0

Old 08-18-2018, 10:55 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,077 times
I love it when you guys list all these books on ancap theory that everyone should read to free their minds from your so called stateism. Sorry, but all the takes is a freshman level textbook on human psychology to see that all those libertarian books aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:56 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Dare I say that the markets as you imagine them wouldn't exist without the state. In fact, the very idea of an anarchist being excited over making "money" seems strange - largely because y'all think government issued currency is non-legitimate. Surely you realize your business is possible because the dollar is a stable currency, greatly reducing the burden of financial transactions.

Try running an economy or business with Bitcoin or gold - it's impossible. Way too volatile.
Semantics on money.

I love competing to make my life better. I use "money" as the thing that allows me to take care of the people I need to.

You're actually onto something (by accident of course being a liberal Statist ) when it comes to some kind of currency being a sustainable model of exchange.

There's a long lost AnCap poster in here, irspow (awesome name ), who used to talk about a voluntary exchange of goods and services based on some sort of "time currency". Meaning you get certain time considerations in exchange for your labor/product because time is basically the most valuable resource, by default, for all of us since nobody lives forever.

It's an interesting idea IMO.

Ideas are what we need too. I break the balls of you Statists a lot but part of that is because we need your guys and your ideas to make it work. Relying on the government to think and do things for you is a hard habit to break. I still do it from time to time...mainly out of exhaustion of dealing with the government itself. It can be done though.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:58 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,424,992 times
The concept of public land is hard to imagine in (true) capitalism. If all land is available for homesteading then eventually all the land will be acquired and privately owned.

In such a scenario how could transport and free movement of people be sustained when everywhere one goes, they'd be trespassing?

Old 08-18-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I love it when you guys list all these books on ancap theory that everyone should read to free their minds from your so called stateism. Sorry, but all the takes is a freshman level textbook on human psychology to see that all those libertarian books aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on.
Anarchy and capitalism are the default settings of a human being.

Nobody is born into a morally or logically binding agreement with anyone. Nobody is born and is rightfully owed the labor to sustain life from society at large.

You obviously disagree with this which means you believe in the mystical social contract as well as slavery.

Bro, your system sucks.

Human psychology is risk/reward. People need an incentive to work. Your government indoctrination centers have convinced the masses that society is overly complex to the point that a group of folks (the State) need magical powers to have authority over others. Not only that but the powers this omnipotent entity possesses are derived from the individuals who loan them their powers.

In practice this is folly. Unless you think you have the right to kill, rob, and bully your neighbor without any repercussions from him or the government.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
The concept of public land is hard to imagine in (true) capitalism. If all land is available for homesteading then eventually all the land will be acquired and privately owned.

In such a scenario how could transport and free movement of people be sustained when everywhere one goes, they'd be trespassing?
Your problem is with nature/existence itself. A common problem with Statists because you don't follow natural law.

If all land on earth was rightfully owned and none remained for another person to exist without being a trespasser (a violation of the NAP) then that's where the population peaks...or not. Think about it...

Because that singular rightful owner has two options:

1. Eliminate the trespasser as is his right.
2. Negotiate another solution with that party despite being a victim of aggression.

You know Winterfall, just because I have the right of self-defense and to the fruits of my labor doesn't necessarily mean I end all scenarios where I'm violated with such extreme, yet moral and logical, measures. Each victim has the right to turn the other cheek.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:13 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,780,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Semantics on money.

I love competing to make my life better. I use "money" as the thing that allows me to take care of the people I need to.

You're actually onto something (by accident of course being a liberal Statist ) when it comes to some kind of currency being a sustainable model of exchange.

There's a long lost AnCap poster in here, irspow (awesome name ), who used to talk about a voluntary exchange of goods and services based on some sort of "time currency". Meaning you get certain time considerations in exchange for your labor/product because time is basically the most valuable resource, by default, for all of us since nobody lives forever.

It's an interesting idea IMO.

Ideas are what we need too. I break the balls of you Statists a lot but part of that is because we need your guys and your ideas to make it work. Relying on the government to think and do things for you is a hard habit to break. I still do it from time to time...mainly out of exhaustion of dealing with the government itself. It can be done though.
Time currency requires some form of governance, which seems to be incompatible with your ideology. Nobody can explain the intricacies of a potential anarchist market, it just seems to be intellectual chaos.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Human Action renders all psych textbooks moot.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:15 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,780,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
"Stable currency."

FRNs have lost 97% of their value since they were created in 1913, and nearly 80% since Nixon took us off the gold standard.

We only speak of "money" because it's still the predominate means of payment. If my mortgage company accepted Crypto I'd pay them that way.
Pay your mortgage with crypto? You're insane haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies