Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2018, 06:45 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,277,519 times

Advertisements

On a different forum, a discussion came up about tipping. Someone was complaining about tip cups being put at the check-out stations of a grocery store/market. As you might imagine, there were a lot of remarks about the OP being stingy, and if you don't want to leave a tip, then don't. There were a lot of comments about the workers not being paid a living wage.

So all this got me to thinking about my own tips, or lack thereof. I started a new job recently, but it's the kind of job I've had before and is something I've a ton of experience with. I have, in the last three months, received only two tips. My co-worker, on the other hand, gets them weekly.

I have more experience than she does, and management has started giving me the difficult clients and the harder work because "everyone likes you" (me), and I'm capable of handling even the most impossible-seeming things. The two tips I have gotten were from clients of others (including one of my coworker's clients), where something had been done poorly, and I fixed it.

So what's the difference? My coworker speaks heavily-accented English and is about ten years older. My thinking is that it's because the clients have a perception, based on her accent and appearance, that she needs the tip. This negates the whole idea of a tip in the first place - for appreciation of a job that has been well done and with excellent customer service.

I don't begrudge her the tips, but it makes me pissy that so many people tip these days because they're virtue signalers (as in the case of the store clerks), not because of a service that's been provided for them. Who do you tip, and why? Do you ever tip because you think the person needs it, regardless of what they may have done for you?

(That is all. Rant over. Never mind the ism - I'm already over wanting to be a victim, lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 07:00 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,362 times
I never see color, race, age, etc. when I tip. It never even crossed my mind until I read your post...LOL. I generally always tip the standard 20% unless I get really s****y service. I hate the idea of tipping in general but I understand the system and I know it's part of the server's income so I do it anyway. I've never tipped at a grocery or convenience store because I don't think it's necessary. Those jobs aren't structured to be dependent on tips.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illbeback2 View Post
I don't like tip cups. They try to intimidate you into tipping for a non tipping job.

There are jobs that get tips like waiters or bell hops and jobs that don't which have tip cups.

Maybe your coworker looks down at the tip cup or returns their change right over it or is doing something to guilt people into tipping. I was a customer at s subway once and the girl working the cash register complained about the previous person not tipping. I didn't either.

I think sometimes if you are too nice with people they won't tip because they don't fee bad. I worked bar tending at an open bar place banquet hall and I used to not get tipped when other co workers in other stations did. I'm not the kind to degrade myself by saying anything or giving someone a dirty look for not tipping but others are. It was a place that catered to rich people who did not like to open their wallets to take $1 out, but one day we had different clientele of working class and second generation Americans and I made amazing tips, more in one day than combined from all other days.
That's my view of it, too.

In my case, there is no tip cup. Tips are generally given either directly, or through the manager in a sealed envelope.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:35 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post

In my case, there is no tip cup. Tips are generally given either directly, or through the manager in a sealed envelope.
That's my sense of it, too. And it's really annoying when you go for a small gelato, priced at $6, and you are "guilted" into giving a tip too. With 50 cents of gelato priced that much over cost, and the lines going out the door (I'm in a large city and the gelato place is popular), why can't the owner compensate his employees out of his profits?

But what really gets me is when you have to provide all the service yourself, and it takes multiple steps, and they still want a tip. Take Panera. You have to 1) wait on line to place your order, 2) get a buzzer to pick it up when it's ready, 3) go to the beverage dispenser and get your own beverage, 4) carry your tray to a table, 5) realize they gave you one scrawny napkin and get up to get more, 6) throw your garbage in the trash when you're done, and 6) return your tray to the place they collect them.

And for this they want a tip?

Old 08-19-2018, 08:11 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
On a different forum, a discussion came up about tipping. Someone was complaining about tip cups being put at the check-out stations of a grocery store/market. As you might imagine, there were a lot of remarks about the OP being stingy, and if you don't want to leave a tip, then don't. There were a lot of comments about the workers not being paid a living wage.

So all this got me to thinking about my own tips, or lack thereof. I started a new job recently, but it's the kind of job I've had before and is something I've a ton of experience with. I have, in the last three months, received only two tips. My co-worker, on the other hand, gets them weekly.

I have more experience than she does, and management has started giving me the difficult clients and the harder work because "everyone likes you" (me), and I'm capable of handling even the most impossible-seeming things. The two tips I have gotten were from clients of others (including one of my coworker's clients), where something had been done poorly, and I fixed it.

So what's the difference? My coworker speaks heavily-accented English and is about ten years older. My thinking is that it's because the clients have a perception, based on her accent and appearance, that she needs the tip. This negates the whole idea of a tip in the first place - for appreciation of a job that has been well done and with excellent customer service.

I don't begrudge her the tips, but it makes me pissy that so many people tip these days because they're virtue signalers (as in the case of the store clerks), not because of a service that's been provided for them. Who do you tip, and why? Do you ever tip because you think the person needs it, regardless of what they may have done for you?

(That is all. Rant over. Never mind the ism - I'm already over wanting to be a victim, lol)
You are assuming the other person gets more tips because of what you think but you don't know.....so your rant is just a rant.

Has any customer ever said to you -- oh I tip her because I think she needs it and you don't -- lol.......

Old 08-19-2018, 08:12 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:

Are you a stylist/hairdresser/barber?

Old 08-19-2018, 08:16 AM

And where is the line drawn for who gets tips and who doesn't? Should we start leaving a dollar in the mailbox every day for the postal worker? Tip the train conductor when he punches a ticket?

So the person who scans your groceries deserves an extra something, but the person who just saved your damned wedding dress that was three sizes too small (maybe because you bought too much junk food at the grocery store!) gets nothing? In any case, I now have to get back to work. Yep, on a Sunday, because I got handed the nearly-impossible yet again.

Okay, obviously I'm not over it. I'm so grumpy today, lol. Must be PMS-ing or something.

Old 08-19-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You are assuming the other person gets more tips because of what you think but you don't know.....so your rant is just a rant.

Has any customer ever said to you -- oh I tip her because I think she needs it and you don't -- lol.......
Your absolutely correct that it's an assumption, and I even said it was a rant in the first post. I'd love to hear your ideas on why she gets tipped more. The only proofs I can give you as to performance are the facts that 1) I've had to fix a couple of her mistakes - one of them fairly major, and 2) the manager's quote saying that "everyone likes you" as a reason why I'm given the more difficult clients and work.

If my work is better, and I'm better with people (one of her clients was just handed to me because she couldn't deal with them), why does she get the tips? Make an assumption.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:33 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Your absolutely correct that it's an assumption, and I even said it was a rant in the first post. I'd love to hear your ideas on why she gets tipped more. The only proofs I can give you as to performance are the facts that 1) I've had to fix a couple of her mistakes - one of them fairly major, and 2) the manager's quote saying that "everyone likes you" as a reason why I'm given the more difficult clients and work.

If my work is better, and I'm better with people (one of her clients was just handed to me because she couldn't deal with them), why does she get the tips? Make an assumption.
Is she a minority? Then the 'ism' is liberalism. You know, that white guilt and all that the libs are always talking about.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:00 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
I always felt strange tipping an airline baggage handler who probably made more than I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies