Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 08:51 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
We are about two years into the national anthem debate and especially after it was turned into a weapon to divide us, I have to ask a critical question that to my recollection has not been answered once by anyone when I bring it up. That being: Why do we attack the players who kneel during a game but yet refuse to attack other fans who do not abide by the traditions of standing for the anthem if they are able-bodied? To me it is the same thing. I've seen this disrespect as a fan dating back as far as 2004 but nobody talks about it but athletes do it and every one loses their damn minds about it. So I ask, what's the difference?
Why don't you ask why the public is no longer as interested in NFL, movies, liberal stand up comedians, etc., which on itself shouldn't by now be a question anymore as smart people know the answer.

Trying to deflate the issue to blame the public is so despicable and dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 09:30 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
No I am saying the hardball I would take due to breaking it just to protect the shield and not give a damn about the players, nor the agreement between the owners and players as collective groups. I would seek to revoke the CBA based on the league breaking itis. This is why once the NFLPA made a stink about the kneeling (and the Dolphins suspension policy) the owners quietly went back to the no punishment while they looked for a "better solution". They tried what you asked for and got burned.

As for your comment about not recognizing the union, in a shorts league good luck with that. Almost every professional sports league in America has one and they are quite powerful. So your naïvity is showing. That would blow up in your face like the NHL owners who continually lock the players out every time a CBA is up and their market share dwindles. They try doing what you want and they always get burned.
" Almost every professional sports league in America has one"

So?

That is like old story when little Johnny asked to do something and hs mother said,, NO.
Little Johnny replied, But mommy ALL the other kids are doing it.

"So your naïvity is showing"

NOTHING naive about it. I am fully aware of the other pro sports having unions. Which mean NOTHING.

As a former union member AND being a union Steward, I have a LOT of personal experience with them.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT against people voting to have one. That is their choice.

The NFL union has been silent on a LOT of the bad things the player have done, therefor I do NOT respect it.

I have MORE.

"

Old 08-20-2018, 10:30 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Why don't you ask why the public is no longer as interested in NFL, movies, liberal stand up comedians, etc., which on itself shouldn't by now be a question anymore as smart people know the answer.

I don't notice liberal Hollywood being too much of a problem, Disney made two 150m+ movie openings this year and one was right after the Roseanne Barr firing. What hurts movie studios are pet projects that are high-balled money yet have a horrible return on the money. Christopher Robin for example. Middle America seem to not care. Stand-up has other issues related to technology such as streaming it for personal use too.

As for the second part of your opinion that is your opinion and i disagree with that that deflates the issue. The issue is people are so microscopic on the players but that's it. I'm trying to bring attention to every other anthem or flag issue not covered in the anthem debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" Almost every professional sports league in America has one"

So?

That is like old story when little Johnny asked to do something and hs mother said,, NO.
Little Johnny replied, But mommy ALL the other kids are doing it.

"So your naïvity is showing"

NOTHING naive about it. I am fully aware of the other pro sports having unions. Which mean NOTHING.

As a former union member AND being a union Steward, I have a LOT of personal experience with them.

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT against people voting to have one. That is their choice.

The NFL union has been silent on a LOT of the bad things the player have done, therefor I do NOT respect it.

I have MORE.

"

There is an old saying, for those that get it, no explanation is needed, for those that don't get it, no explanation will ever do. This is relevant here. I have shown how these issues hurt the league in the end all while protecting the shield. By you being a union steward, you should understand why the owners shouldn't have made that decision without NFLPA consent on the matter which broke their CBA.

As for what you mentioned about the union not commenting on drug arrests or wife beatings, the NFLPA actually handed over control to the league per their 2011 CBA. Domestic Violence And The NFL: What Impact Has The League Made? Now yes, the union can and should get out in front but ultimately it is up to the board of owners and the individual team owners themselves.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:32 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Fox Sports will no longer air coverage of the national anthem before its NFL games.
ESPN will no longer air coverage of the national anthem before its Monday Night Football games.

Stail waiting on the networks to follow suit.

Problem solved.
Basically. Such a non-issue. That our baby President has to keep bringing up.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:34 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

Lol.

And that answer is...?

Stand up comedians?

I just watched a hilarious set on Netflix where Trump was utterly destroyed, and people loved it. What are you even talking about?

Old 08-20-2018, 10:47 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
The fans pay a lot of money to go to the games. The players are basically entertainers. They are getting paid way too much to play this American sport, so they can suck it up and show respect. The fans are often many beer guzzling dolts but they paid their money.

There was a time when entertainers, regardless of their talents were not revered. They were dancing monkeys there to do whatever the audience wanted. No one cared about their opinions, as it should be. Now you have entertainers running wild with their egos and it really is backwards.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:05 AM

37,196 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I've posted PLENTY of my opinions.

I have even CHALLENGED YOU to back up what you say and all I get is silence.

Why are YOU so AFRAID to engage in honest adult conversation? Instead all we get from you is the constant juvenile name calling and insults.
True. Almost entirely fact free. Please demonstrate where I have called any poster on this board any name whatsoever.

I'll be here waiting. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
We are about two years into the national anthem debate and especially after it was turned into a weapon to divide us, I have to ask a critical question that to my recollection has not been answered once by anyone when I bring it up. That being: Why do we attack the players who kneel during a game but yet refuse to attack other fans who do not abide by the traditions of standing for the anthem if they are able-bodied? To me it is the same thing. I've seen this disrespect as a fan dating back as far as 2004 but nobody talks about it but athletes do it and every one loses their damn minds about it. So I ask, what's the difference?

you are right, fans that sit, those that are able to stand, during the anthem should also be excoriated for it. unfortunately while you might see it as part of the fans in the stands, the cameras dont pick it up. also those fans are not often times protesting publicly like the players are.

and what do you do with a fan that refuses to stand for the anthem? you have to be careful what you do with them as you can trigger a huge loss in your fan base if you go too far, and that hurts the bottom line.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:25 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you are right, fans that sit, those that are able to stand, during the anthem should also be excoriated for it. unfortunately while you might see it as part of the fans in the stands, the cameras dont pick it up. also those fans are not often times protesting publicly like the players are.
And until Kaepernick had the story explode no one cared about Lynch sitting during the anthem either.

Quote:
and what do you do with a fan that refuses to stand for the anthem? you have to be careful what you do with them as you can trigger a huge loss in your fan base if you go too far, and that hurts the bottom line.
Not much besides shaming by fellow fans. You can't be thrown out for being "unpatriotic."

Old 08-20-2018, 02:34 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Maybe they are too fat to squeeze out their seat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies