Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 01:52 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times

Advertisements

Have you guys ever noticed that the portrayal of "liberals" or "the left" often includes a common trope of almost narcissistic altruism? Like "the libs wanna give everyone a pony so they can feel good about themselves" or some similarly outrageous sentiment?

I believe that it is time to put this myth to bed in light of the fact that the often bemoaned "giveaways" are a pragmatist's solution and the conservative mantra of "cut entitlements" is the fanatic's "principled stand".

Progressives: It's less expensive to house the homeless than to leave them on the street
Conservatives: but lazy people will game the system

Progressives: It's less expensive to provide healthcare to everyone through a Single-Payer system than our current private insurance system
Conservatives: but illegal immigrants might use it

Progressives: We should reduce our military spending to something more reasonable and invest that money at home
Conservatives: USA! USA! USA!

Conservatives portray themselves as the party of the fiscally responsible but time and again they want to burn money for the sake of "teaching someone a lesson".

Old 08-22-2018, 01:57 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times
Trump took the doofus in the tricorn hat and "Don't Tread on Me" shirt, gutted him and the whole Tea Party movement, and immediately increased the deficit. Said doofus must be in shallow grave because I haven't heard one peep from him in 18 months. Very principled, those Tea Partiers.

Last edited by TristramShandy; 08-22-2018 at 02:07 PM..

Old 08-22-2018, 01:59 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Conservatives portray themselves as the party of the fiscally responsible but time and again they want to burn money for the sake of "teaching someone a lesson".
That's because for them it's all about ramming a narrow-minded religious agenda down everyone's throats and forcing conformity.

Look at the War on Drugs (especially marijuana). Not only is it very expensive and not only does it ruin lives, but states could have a flood of new revenue from legalizing. We can't do that though because we can't legalize and promote "sin" as defined by conservative evangelicals.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:01 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Quote:
Have you guys ever noticed that the portrayal of "liberals" or "the left" often includes a common trope of almost narcissistic altruism? Like "the libs wanna give everyone a pony so they can feel good about themselves" .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RDLqb3umsw

Old 08-22-2018, 02:03 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
It goes back to the whole welfare = free stuff Reagan started. In reality the distribution of wealth is controlled by the economic control centers meaning input does not equal output.

Not hard to understand but decades of brainwashing can be very affective.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Not hard to understand but decades of brainwashing can be very affective.
Very true it also doesn't help that the right wing controls all the mainstream media outlets.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:08 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Have you guys ever noticed that the portrayal of "liberals" or "the left" often includes a common trope of almost narcissistic altruism? Like "the libs wanna give everyone a pony so they can feel good about themselves" or some similarly outrageous sentiment?

I believe that it is time to put this myth to bed in light of the fact that the often bemoaned "giveaways" are a pragmatist's solution and the conservative mantra of "cut entitlements" is the fanatic's "principled stand".

Progressives: It's less expensive to house the homeless than to leave them on the street
Conservatives: but lazy people will game the system

Progressives: It's less expensive to provide healthcare to everyone through a Single-Payer system than our current private insurance system
Conservatives: but illegal immigrants might use it

Progressives: We should reduce our military spending to something more reasonable and invest that money at home
Conservatives: USA! USA! USA!

So you are annoyed by partisans on the extreme right using ridiculous examples to shoot down your favorite political positions, so the best way you see fit to address this is to triple down on it and use 3 extreme left examples to shoot down why you think they oppose your political ideas.

If you can't see how your line of thinking is causing a huge political divide, then the homeless, healthcare, and military spending are the number 2, 3, and 4 political issues you should be worried about.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
If you can't see how your line of thinking is causing a huge political divide,
Truly my position is horrible housing the homeless ending the wars what a terrible person I must be.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:14 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Truly my position is horrible housing the homeless ending the wars what a terrible person I must be.
Right, ignore what my actual point was and have a pity party for yourself. Try not to hurt yourself while you pat yourself on the back.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:30 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Whenever Trump supporters call anyone else narcissistic, I have to laugh. No one on the planet has ever been more narcissistic than Trump ever ever ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies