Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 04:47 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
If they have arms and legs, have all of their toes and fingers, don't have any health problems, are standing on U.S. soil, and are here legally, then it isn't life that is miserable, the issue is a miserable attitude.
Nice try, but no - the issue is not a "miserable attitude," but rising COL and stagnating wages. Not to mention industry being shipped to China, since *someone* wanted to have the ever-growing profits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 04:50 PM

8,381 posts, read 4,366,655 times
A lot of various thoughts come to mind. Foremost I guess is why are you making babies if you can't afford diapers?

Old 08-24-2018, 04:54 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
A lot of various thoughts come to mind. Foremost I guess is why are you making babies if you can't afford diapers?
You might be surprised at how many people have sex without giving diapers a thought.

Old 08-24-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
But..those cloth diapers aren't very cheap when you have to go to a coin operated laundry every day to wash and dry them. In apartment complex coin ops, $3-$4 per load is standard around here. That can eat up the money saved with cloth diapers pretty fast.
I listed the cost for 100 diapers, pins, waterproof pants, and a diaper pail earlier in this thread. $100.

That's enough for a week.

At $8/load to wash and dry, you are still saving money on disposable diapers.

It is less convenient, of course. But people do it.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Often times a mortgage payment is less than rent.
The point is for many middle class after THEY pay their rent/mortgage, utilities, insurance premiums, Dr. bills, food etc. they often don't have anymore disposable income than those on assistance with their rent and utilities paid or subsidized, food stamps, medicaid, etc. yet they don't spend what they have left on tattoos, salons, booze, etc. to feel better about not having any money in their pocket. The only difference is one has to get up every morning take the kids to daycare then go to work and the other doesn't.
While I have to agree that the income of the middle class keeps on shrinking (along with the middle class itself,) it's silly to grow indignant and envious looking at those BELOW you.
They are not the source of your problem - those ABOVE you are.
The ones on the bottom were always there, and taking care of them were not as big of a problem as it seemingly becomes today. The difference between yesterday and today though, is those above you, are seeking bigger and bigger profits, yet they are not ready to live in a downright third world country ( not yet at least))) And that's why they are shifting responsibility for keeping the bottom feeders afloat on the middle class. They themselves want to stay free of such responsibilities.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
But didn’t Obama weaken the 1996 work for welfare bill? I read he made it super easy now to get out of the work requirement.
He did?
Can we read about it too?
Any link pls, or is it all hear-say?

Old 08-24-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Not my place to support the lazy and stupid who don't understand that tattoos, cigarettes and booze that they can't afford, just to escape their self-inflicted reality, is NOT "making good choices".

Just more excuses........
Errr.. that's not "self-inflicted reality" - that's the reality of capitalism. ( You know, the system that thrives on some taking advantage of others. )
Sorry for your self-inflicted delusions, but if they help you to feel self-righteous and sleep better - who am I to argue)))

Old 08-24-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
One of my friends used plastic buckets in the bathtub. She'd rinse the diapers out and then drop them in a bucket with the soapy water. If her children had "accidents" she would rinse out their things and drop them in as well.

After she bathed the kids at night, she'd wring out the bucket of diapers, panties, and pjs, rinse them in a tub of clean water, hand wring them and throw them in one of the buckets with clean water, empty the tub, wring out the diapers, etc., then hang everything up to dry on one of those foldable wooden dryers in her tub.

It was a bit of a process, but the little kids liked to help her with it. And the next morning, she had dry diapers and pjs.

She had a washer, but she only used it for weekly washings. She hung everything on the line when she could.
Sounds awesome, and it only keeps me wonder - why don't day cares want to follow this practical procedure, and accept only disposable diapers? Or did you miss the point brought in the article? ( No day care, no job kinda... )

Old 08-24-2018, 05:44 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.thenation.com/article/we...fford-diapers/

If they can't even afford cheap, plastic diapers they have no business having a baby then.

Having babies while poor has become a very profitable family business. They live lavish lifestyles already, the last thing America needs is subsidized diapers for children and diaper banks.

Amazing, how senior citizens who worked all their life don't have diapers covered under Medicare which should be included but these poor women with children get a big windfall each month with only a tiny amount of that big, fat TANF check going to diapers.

https://medicare.com/coverage/medica...adult-diapers/

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...-born-medicaid

It's all a bluff and desperate plea for higher taxes and more welfare so they can buy gold-rims for their Cadillac SUV's and trying to emulate Kardashian lifestyles.

Maybe they should use TANF money for diapers as opposed to manicures, gasoline for Cadillac Escalade's and steaks and lobsters.

As a single male without kids, I think it is interesting how many articles these days on pampered millennials who complain about child care being expensive and how diapers are expensive also.

If Jessica Frazier did "everything she can" to make the cost of diapers affordable, we'd be reading about how she uses cloth diapers and [gasp!] launders them, herself. What a concept.

I, too, am sick and tired of the increased number of bennies doled out to slackers, thanks to the largesse of taxpayers.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Sounds awesome, and it only keeps me wonder - why don't day cares want to follow this practical procedure, and accept only disposable diapers? Or did you miss the point brought in the article? ( No day care, no job kinda... )
Sounds like a lot of work. That's why I used my washing machine.

Of course, daycares aren't going to wash your kid's diapers. They aren't going to wash the outfits that get dirty either. They are going to send the dirty outfits home in a plastic bag.

They are also going to send the wet diapers home in a wet bag. Happens every day, all over the country.

Learn tips and tricks for using cloth diapers in daycare centers | Fluff Love University

Most children in daycare are there because their parents work. If they earn enough to pay for disposable diapers, go for it.

If not, cloth diapers are a less expensive option.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 08-24-2018 at 06:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies