Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 07:28 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,414,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
The farmer in Montana is poor because he shouldn't be farming in Montana. Now a rancher on the other hand...
I know you're trying be cute but:
Montanakids | Wheat
Quote:
Wheat is Montana's leading cash crop. Montana is third among the wheat producing states in the U.S. Wheat is grown in nearly all the counties in Montana, on more than 8950 wheat farms. The largest grain producing area though, is the north central area of the state called the "Triangle Area."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 08:04 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
someone who lives inland shouldnt be ripped off to pay for improvements to someones coastal property.
Seems fair. Oh, fyi we're going to raise the taxes of the people that live inland because they don't generate the tourism money that coastal areas do.

Also, going to need to charge you heavy fees for anything that comes in or out by boat as well.

Then there is all the state income from the industries that help the state as a whole which helps to reduce what they have to charge you in taxes.....

Like it or not, coastal areas are incredibly high revenue generators for most state and local governments, far more than in-land areas in general.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:52 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,621,220 times
If they can get oil from the Gulf of Mexico they can make something to still produce oil with a sea level rise. No excuses.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:16 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,173,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I know you're trying be cute but:
Montanakids | Wheat
I'm well aware of Montana's agricultural practices. I spent a decade there. You?

But yes, I was just making a joke.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:58 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,149,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
If they can get oil from the Gulf of Mexico they can make something to still produce oil with a sea level rise. No excuses.
How much money did YOU contribute to your senator’s re-election campaign?

I rest my case.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:00 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,414,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I'm well aware of Montana's agricultural practices. I spent a decade there. You?

But yes, I was just making a joke.
Yeah sure you were

Old 08-24-2018, 11:02 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,558,636 times
The oil companies realize, like most sane people, that the climate has always changed before Man, and Man's industrialization, and after. They also realize that there is no proof Man is affecting climate, so why should they have any reservations about what they are asking?

Old 08-25-2018, 10:14 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Seems fair. Oh, fyi we're going to raise the taxes of the people that live inland because they don't generate the tourism money that coastal areas do.

Also, going to need to charge you heavy fees for anything that comes in or out by boat as well.

Then there is all the state income from the industries that help the state as a whole which helps to reduce what they have to charge you in taxes.....

Like it or not, coastal areas are incredibly high revenue generators for most state and local governments, far more than in-land areas in general.
Losing battle to fight rising oceans with a wall!

Old 08-25-2018, 02:40 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Agreed. If idiots build where flooding is prone, they deserve what they get.
Some places should simply not be lived in. If people need to build sea walls or have the AC on all year, maybe it's not meant for human habitation, or at least not meant to host large cities.

Meanwhile there is plenty of more hospitable land across the country that is pretty much ignored.

But if people want to defy nature to that extreme, that's their choice I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies