Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 01:38 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am pro-life, but I support family planning for the poor when it comes to providing contraceptives. It helps people getting pregnant in the first place. Funding abortion is already against the law, so the whole "defund them" is nothing but political football to get people to vote for GOP.
Condoms are free at many locations across the country.

Find Condom Locations - One Community Health Condom Finder
http://www.condomfinder.org/find.php

Free condoms can also be found:

At your doctor's office
At your local health department
At your college health center
At your college dorm

Isn't this enough?

Condoms alone are only 85-88% effective. But:

Condoms + Fertility Awareness = 99.96% effective with perfect use - 96.6% effective with typical use
Condoms + Withdrawal = 99.92% effective with perfect use - 96.2% effective with typical use
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 01:45 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post

Isn't this enough?

Condoms alone are only 85-88% effective. But:

Condoms + Fertility Awareness = 99.96% effective with perfect use - 96.6% effective with typical use
Condoms + Withdrawal = 99.92% effective with perfect use - 96.2% effective with typical use
Its a good start, but obviously not enough considering the number of unwanted pregnancies we have.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:45 PM

Despite Republicans having control of the White House and both houses of Congress,
they've been unable to:

cut off federal funding for Planned Parenthood
secure funding for the wall
repeal Obamacare

Oh well.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:48 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Abortion is a cash cow for the gop. They will never end it.
Agreed. When you get down to it, evangelical voters are Republican primarily because of abortion. Other issues matter too such as rolling back LGBT rights, keeping cannabis illegal, de-emphasizing science in government and education, and gun rights, but none are as crucial as abortion.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Agreed. When you get down to it, evangelical voters are Republican primarily because of abortion. Other issues matter too such as rolling back LGBT rights, keeping cannabis illegal, de-emphasizing science in government and education, and gun rights, but none are as crucial as abortion.
Sadly, many of them are also against birth control.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:14 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Ditto. Ending abortion makes a nice rallying cry by conservative politicians. But they don't really want to end it for real.

In my culture, we have a saying. Hard to translate because american culture doesn't have such concept. But it loosely translates to keeping the enemy alive so you can keep fighting him for rewards.
I never thought about it that way, but I think you guys are right. If abortion was made illegal, I bet the Republicans would lose a lot of their base. It's a huge issue they bring up every election cycle. I think they don't want it to go away either. That way Dems can be the enemy forever.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:35 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
What percent of PP are in rural areas?
What percent are in urban areas?
What percent are in suburban areas?
Get some facts.
That has nothing to do with anything. I said PP provides access to women who otherwise won't easily have it, and I told you it's because they don't need insurance for PP, its affordable, and often more accessible, espeically for women in urban areas. I also said there are a lot in rural areas with limited gyn access... "a lot" and a small percentage don't necessarily contradict. For instance 1 million americans would be "a lot"... but it's only less than 1% of the total number of Americans.

Quote:
Right. They do NOT perform mammograms. Stop pretending like they have a mammogram machine inoffice for all poor women to use. Wouldn't installing these be a great use of the 550 million dollars they get from the gov't?
I never said they did? Whay are you belaboring this point?

The vast majority of OB/GYN's don't do on site mamograms. You need to get them yearly, but it almost always involves going in for your annual pap smear and walking out with a referral for a mamogram. Women have 3 things we are supposed to get done ever year (5 if you count 2 teeth cleanings heh)... regular doctors appointment, lady bits doctor visit LOL (pap smear, breast exam, STD blood test if necessary) and mamogram. You can't get the mamogram without going to the doctor first. PP provides a cheap, accessible GYN visit. The end.

Quote:
Show me some statistics that prove otherwise.
You made the original claim. You provide the statistics.

Quote:
Or they just have a phenomenal marketing campaign.
And? That doesn't disprove the point that they may faciltate a high percentage of abortions for reasons other than they are "bad" at family planning.

Quote:
No, they aren't. It's a statistical manipulation. Learn to understand how they count the services. For example, a woman has 1 visit: She gets a tested for 2 stds, 3 packs of BC and her urine is tested for a UTI. She is couseled for HIV testing. Gets that test two. One visit = 8 services. Woman no. 2 comes in for abortion counseling, pregnancy and HIV testing, gets 3 packs of BC, etc. Comes back for abortion. 2 visits: 1 service. That's how they skew the numbers.
So... then they do provide many more services than abortions? Thats not "skewed", that's accurate counting.

Quote:
Did you know PP performs only 2% of total healthcare services for women in the USA? 2%. That's it.
2% of services or 2% of women?

There are 126 million adult women. That would mean planned parenthood covers 2.4 million women, many of them uninsured or who would otherwise find it unaffordable. Is that trivial to you?

Ditto services. If you estimate just from the amount of women there are the amount of services those women recive yearly, and calculate the raw number for that 2%, you'd end up with a huge amount of servces.

Quote:
There are between 12,000 and 14,000 low cost clinics women can go to that offer more comprehensive services to women. For example, what if a woman has high BP? All PP does is give her a referral. Where if she had gone to a low cost clinic, they could HELP HER.
Isn't that a bit of goalpost moving? They are there to provide OB/GYN services. I mean my regular GYN doesn't treat athlete's foot... does that mean my general practioner should do my pap smear every year? I mean I might need cream, and they can't give it to me! That makes no sense.

Quote:
Because they are an abortion provider. They are actually opening up abortion only clinics. Seems to me if they are as necessary and performing such wonderful *education* and *family planning* and *low cost BC* they would need to reduce the number of abortions they perform.

But they are trying to increase it. Explain.
Same logical fallacy as before. Is there a reason to believe that the people who they do reach with preventive services are having more aboritons? Why are you trying to link the two? Maybe they want to increase abortion services because there is a need... are regular abortion services becoming less accessble lately? Your answer is likely down that path.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:53 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Right. They do not DO mammograms onsite.
Neither do most gynecologists or family practitioners.

What part of "mobile" do you not get? Planned Parenthood hosts mobile mammogram providers, and process referrals to other providers.

Just like most other providers.

Simple enough. At least I thought it was ...
Quote:
Did you notice my use of the word 'generally' when stating they are GENERALLY in urban/suburban areas?
I did not, but it doesn't matter - you're still wrong.
Quote:
There are between 12,000 and 14,000 low cost clinics women can go to that offer more comprehensive services to women. For example, what if a woman has high BP? All PP does is give her a referral.
There are not.

That 14,000 number is the number of Title X providers in the country (look it up). Not all offer "comprehensive services"; not all are even open to the general public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
For any woman who receives health insurance via the ACA [snip] Medicare covers these types of services as well.
You're forgetting Medicaid, which many providers refuse to accept.
Quote:
That's swell if you want to chance it. But you can get low cost, more effective birth control at Planned Parenthood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies