Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 03:30 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Um, stores lock up often stolen items.

I go into Walmart near me and video game stuff is locked up, pillows aren't, bras aren't, some cell phone stuff is, etc. etc. etc.

This is a sad commentary when keeping an often stolen product locked up is racist. Logically speaking, complaining about it is more racist as it assumes they're locking it up because of a certain race and not all races.

Trust me, there were plenty of white shoplifters in my hometown.
Complaining about racism does not make you racist. Why you are trying to call that logic is beyond me. At best you should have simply argued that you shouldn't assume racism, but it is certainly not racist to call someone racist.

Also, items aren't locked up based on how eloften they were stolen, if that was true costume jewelry would be kept under lock and key. It is a little more complicated than that

Items are locked up based on cost to the company . If you can't make up your lose by selling the very next item, then you lock it up. That's why video games, where the profit is only 4 dollars for every 60 dollar game , is lock up, but not the 10 dollar pillow(7 dollar profit ).

I doubt most hair care products make it to that level.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:54 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
I think it would be one thing if the decision was completely data driven. The store over the past year had 1000 items stolen. Maybe the top 500 get security tags (those things they put on clothing) or those security strips that have to be demagnetized. Maybe the top 50 are actually under lock and key. If it just so happens that those top 50 included hair care products commonly used by African Americans... I guess so be it?

I don't know if there are other factors though. Like the size of the item. What if the item is too small to affix some of this security stuff on there?

I remember that years ago, Toys R' Us would not have any games available on the sales floor. You needed that orange(?) slip - you'd pay for that and THEN pick it up at the counter. This was mainly because if the actual product was out on the shelf - customers could open the box, slide the cartridge/CD into their pocket and walk out. The security device would simply be left behind in the store in the opened box.

If that is what is happening with hair care products (people opening the box and taking the product with them), then there is some recourse needed by the store. In theory, as long as people are paying for the product, what's the problem?

Old 08-24-2018, 06:10 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’ve been saying for years that African Americans need to shop for hair care and skin care products online because they’re being overcharged at the big box stores and smaller black hair care product shops that are usually owned by Asians. And Asians own most of them because they dominate the line into the wholesale distributors. I almost NEVER buy so much as a wave cap in those places unless it’s black owned.

Secondly, seeing as how blacks are no more likely to shoplift than any other race, and I’ve seen no stats proving otherwise, why deal with retailers who treat you in this way if you can get the products FAR CHEAPER online from the company itself. All my pomade, butters, wave caps and co-wash products come straight off eBay for a steal. If the big boxers or the Asians depend on me for a buck, they’re going outta business. I’m doing all I can to spread the word but too many black folks aren’t listening.

Lock up all that expensive crap if you want to...you won’t have to unlock it for me.
And why would those stats ever be published publicly? Wouldn't that just be inviting another lawsuit by blacks? Numbers like that are kept in internal memos from the inventory control people.

Numbers like that are not obvious until the inventory is counted but the register tapes don't back up the sales for products low in inventory.

Of course, perhaps it is whites or Asians stealing black hair products to sell on the DL... I didn't want to say "on the black market". But if hair products that are only used on black hair are missing and not paid for, who is to blame except the black community?

And of course they need to steal those hair products, the hair weaves themselves are so darn expensive that they have to save money whenever they can.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:16 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Store makes a sound economic policy decision based on first hand evidence , outsiders use emotion and bias to second guess why.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 08-24-2018 at 06:24 AM..

Old 08-24-2018, 06:19 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
If I had a shop that sold black hair products, why can't I lock them up or keep them behind the counter in order to protect my inventory from shoplifters?

Or better yet, I just wouldn't carry any of the products. Why should I lose money or be hassled with that sort of inventory?

Yes, black people should just order that stuff online.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:26 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Some of those locked retail cases are not that secure. I worked as a manager in a Dollar general years ago and we found that most any small key would unlock certain retail case locks. These methods are really just an attempt to slow the shoplifter down, hoping it makes them look for something easier to steal and avoid those particular products.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:41 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Store makes a sound economic policy decision based on first hand evidence , outsiders use emotion and bias to second guess why.
Solid post...

Old 08-24-2018, 06:49 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,583,975 times
Quote:
I’ve been saying for years that African Americans need to shop for hair care and skin care products online because they’re being overcharged at the big box stores and smaller black hair care product shops that are usually owned by Asians. And Asians own most of them because they dominate the line into the wholesale distributors. I almost NEVER buy so much as a wave cap in those places unless it’s black owned.

Secondly, seeing as how blacks are no more likely to shoplift than any other race, and I’ve seen no stats proving otherwise, why deal with retailers who treat you in this way if you can get the products FAR CHEAPER online from the company itself. All my pomade, butters, wave caps and co-wash products come straight off eBay for a steal. If the big boxers or the Asians depend on me for a buck, they’re going outta business. I’m doing all I can to spread the word but too many black folks aren’t listening.

Lock up all that expensive crap if you want to...you won’t have to unlock it for me.

WTF is a "wave cap" or "co-wash"? Butters are in the dairy case, and never locked up.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:00 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
We have evolved so much as a society that there's now a thing called organized retail crime. Guess where organized retail crime is more likely to happen? Not in Long Grove, IL. The only thing our stores have locked up are razors, electric toothbrushes, video games, gaming consoles, cell phones, and other expensive electronics.

If something is not locked up today but is locked up tomorrow, it's an inconvenience, but common sense will tell most of us the retailer must have a problem with theft of that item.

Making this a big deal is either an attempt to cash grab (obvious when the attorneys appear with Ms Shopper) or thieves are ticked off they can't get their **** for free anymore.

You know who else should have a hissy fit? Males from the ages of 16-30 who pay higher car insurance rates. Oh wait, that's to offset the number of accidents males ages 16-30 get into. We all understand that, right?

Old 08-24-2018, 07:22 AM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:

You speak two fundamental truths in your post.

1) That's the truth about just about everything, go into most shops like that and you're going to pay a lot more than you can get with prime or other items. I don't care if you're buying shoes, shampoo or shag carpeting.

2) Vote with your wallet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies