Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 09:47 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about something that I've observed, not sure if my perception is accurate. When I grew up (in the 70s) nearly all teenagers worked at some point of the school year. At the least they did in summers (I spent my time on farms, picking fruit starting at 12-13 to bailing hay when older, to a summer in a plumbing shop). I can't really think of anyone in my neighborhood that didn't have a job, at least in the summer, if not during the school year.

My impression is that this has changed. I see a fair number of my friends with teens that don't work, as well as more teens "hanging out" during the summer that don't seem to have jobs. Is that just an inaccurate perception, or are fewer kids working these days?

Jobs are readily available for teens in my area. A couple years back when unemployment was higher, my nephew's son (16 I believe) and a couple of his friends were making $11-14 an hour bailing hay. They lasted all of about 2 weeks, and quit because it was "too hard". (I'll give them something-it is a brutally physical job-did it for years for a whole lot less money).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 09:52 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Kids around here work.

My son graduated High School and the next day he formed an LLC, paid for his business liscense, opened a commercial bank account and started his own Handyman/general labor services company and charged $20 an hour.

He works all summer then goes back to MSU for his engineering degree in school months. He does contract jobs during the school year, but not much.

His friends are employed as well- his roommate works in a machine shop and is also in engineering.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:52 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
bucking hay is one of the toughest bucks you can earn.
ask me how i know

Old 08-23-2018, 09:55 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Mine worked and most of their friends worked, too, when they could. Sports sometimes prevented them from working summer jobs because two-a-days meant they couldn't commit to working until school started.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:40 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Many studies have been done on it. Teen employment in the summer season peaked in 1978. That's link one. Link two is overall.

Fewer teens have summer jobs than in 2000 - and the jobs have changed | Pew Research Center

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4311406/

Old 08-23-2018, 10:55 PM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
bucking hay is one of the toughest bucks you can earn.
ask me how i know
I made and bucked hay when my kids were little and my wife was home. That was our meat money.

It is a tough job, but admirable.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:19 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Very rarely do we ever get applications from teenagers to work in our gas stations/ convenience stores, the few that have and were hired do not want to work and end up quitting very quickly. I have 48 stores in my district and our entry level cashiers are generally in their mid 20s up to about early 50s.

Its people in their prime, trying to support a family usually. Thats what many people that oppose a high MW do not understand, they still think its the old days, when kids, retirees, students, would work these kinds of jobs...TIMES HAVE CHANGED.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:52 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Very rarely do we ever get applications from teenagers to work in our gas stations/ convenience stores, the few that have and were hired do not want to work and end up quitting very quickly. I have 48 stores in my district and our entry level cashiers are generally in their mid 20s up to about early 50s.

Its people in their prime, trying to support a family usually. Thats what many people that oppose a high MW do not understand, they still think its the old days, when kids, retirees, students, would work these kinds of jobs...TIMES HAVE CHANGED.
Most of the low level employees around me at Walmart, the Quik Cheks etc are age 45-75. All 3 of the 70+ year olds that live above me work at Walmart.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:59 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
The kids here work. Since e-verify went into effect there have been many, many openings for the local teens. I did not let my daughter work during school because it was her job to study and make good grades. It paid off with a full ride scholarship so she was thousands ahead graduating with no student loans.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:02 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,699,219 times
Hard to say. It might be a combination of disinterest coupled with older people taking the job. I remember when I was 19, I tried getting a job as a shipping clerk at a parts warehouse over the summer. I had previously performed this task for two years working at a "Pack 'n Ship." I met with the manager, showed him how'd I do the job and we talked money. The moment I mentioned that I'd have to work part-time once college started up he didn't hire me.

Some businesses don't want that - specifically don't want people with what I'll call "higher priorities." Teenagers have to answer to parents and teachers and keep up their grades. Adults don't. They'll opt for that unless they can pay the teenager low enough.

What's funny is...back when I worked in the Pack 'n Ship business (today, places like this are UPS Stores) - the workers were mostly teenagers (high school or college age). When I go into stores like that now? I see people 30+ working there. Hey, everyone has to earn a living. I get that. But, this job was something teenagers could do. They've been pushed out by 20/30 somethings now.

I don't doubt that's been done in other businesses too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies