Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2018, 09:18 AM

5,428 posts, read 4,426,170 times

Advertisements

John McCain likely suffered a lot over the past 18 months and had suffering over the course of his life. I'm sure it is also a difficult time for his family. I am appreciative of his military service, but I think his political legacy is far overstated.

1. McCain was elected to represent the state of Arizona, first for 4 years in the U.S. House and then for nearly 32 U.S. Senate. If you just consider McCain's time in the Senate and evaluate what he did for the people of Arizona, his legacy should unravel. By most metrics, Arizona has become a worse place to live during his time representing the state of Arizona. Some of it is not his fault. There are a lot of problems in state politics there. Since McCain took office as a Senator in January 1987, the population of Arizona has roughly doubled but the infrastructure has gotten worse. So has the urban heat island effect, especially in Metro Phoenix. Good jobs have not come to Arizona as a result of such immense growth.

McCain's failure to crack down on illegal immigration hasn't really helped Arizonans either.

2. McCain is a big part of the reason that the 2010 Affordable Care Act was not repealed when it had the chance to be repealed in 2017.

3. McCain's 2008 presidential campaign was a disaster. He lost in an electoral college landslide, eventually setting the United States up for 8 years for one of the worst presidents in the history of this nation (Romney 2012 probably deserves even more blame for this). While conditions as a whole were unfavorable to Republicans in 2008 due to the unpopularity of George W. Bush, McCain's candidacy didn't help the cause. It's a valid case to make that no Republican could have won the presidency in 2008, McCain probably under performed. I guess blame should be given to Republicans as a whole for nominating him. It also didn't help that at the time in 2008, he was 71-72 years old and didn't seem energetic enough to lead a nation compared to a much younger opponent. The VP choice of Sarah Palin was a complete disaster for both McCain and Palin.

4. After taking a national beating in 2008, he refused to retire in the 2010 election cycle or the 2016 one. At the age of 79-80 in 2016, why did he think another 6 year commitment was sensible? That decision right now is affecting Arizona Republicans as a whole, who now have 2 Senate seats open. The Senate race to replace retiring Jeff Flake is immensely competitive and one of the most important Senate races in the whole nation. Now with McCain's seat open, who knows who the replacement will be and whether that seat can be held by Republicans. Arizona might get 2 Senators from the Democratic Party. McCain had a role in this. There was some selfishness in his retirement/succession planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 09:20 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,187,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
And this is the real reason all the cult is going all out to bash McCain.

McCain asked that Obama and Bush (two opponents for office) to eulogize him and requested that Trump not attend.

While all of the Capitol is memorializing and remembering McCain--Trump will look rather isolated. Wonder if he'll play golf, tweet a string of idiotic comments, or fire someone, in order to bring the spotlight back on him.

Say what you like about McCain, his policies, his military service--the man had class and was well-respected by his peers.

These are things that will forever escape the loud-mouth hypocritical boor in the WH.

Last edited by Enigma777; 08-26-2018 at 09:48 AM..

Old 08-26-2018, 09:23 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,445,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
McCain himself said that he didn’t want Trump at his funeral.
I'm thinking Trump is really glad that was stated, I doubt he'd want to go. They didn't get along, and McCains death doesn't make him instantly more likable. He gave well wishes to the family because losing someone you love is hard. Good enough.

52,433 posts, read 26,453,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
And yes, they could have signed on anyway, but there is a world of difference between not doing something you're not required to do, and actively ducking out on something you're being tapped to do.l
Big fail. When was Trump "required" to go to Vietnam. When was Trump drafted?

This is nothing but the big democrat double standard. One for Trump, one for everyone else.

13,900 posts, read 9,739,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The rules are different when people are alive versus when they are dead. Unless Trump did that after he died, you have no case. You are just part of the evil Left looking to smear dirt.
Trump derangement syndrome.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:24 AM

68,297 posts, read 54,147,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Then why are you doing that very thing now to push an anti-Trump political agenda in a topic about McCain's death? It's very disparaging to the 1000s who suffered in that war because people hate Trump now.

It was also very disparaging when a man described his efforts to avoid getting the clap as his 'Personal Vietnam'!

Old 08-26-2018, 09:24 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,048,118 times
I remember when McCain was running for prez against Obama in '08 and a woman at one of his campaign rallies came up to him and starting railing about Obama being an "Arab" or some such non-sense. And McCain said "no ma'am, he's an American citizen and an honorable and decent man" or words to that effect. Showed a lot of class there. Something I can guarantee we'll never see from donald trump.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:26 AM

4,007 posts, read 2,686,528 times
Quote:

This is nothing but the big democrat double standard. One for Trump, one for everyone else.

Fail on your part, as I'm sure you're well aware, since Trump did every thing he could do avoid being drafted.

In addition, read the whole of my post. I mentioned that I felt Bill Clinton, a Democrat, fully deserved criticism for dodging the draft as well.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:26 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,979,049 times
Quote:
5 times and 5 times he got out of it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/02/u...ft-record.html

Old 08-26-2018, 09:27 AM

68,297 posts, read 54,147,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
If you would proudly show up to McCain’s funeral than you are excusing the deaths he caused in Vietnam, Central America, and elsewhere. And they were not justified, they were illegal killings.

He lived up to the oath he took, the real cause of deaths in Vietnam resided in the White House, Congress, and the Pentagon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies