Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2018, 10:10 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,550,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What is the code?
Here is the code as it pertains to McCain.

(m) The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff. The flag shall be flown at half-staff thirty days from the death of the President or a former President; ten days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. As used in this subsection -
(1) the term 'half-staff' means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;
(2) the term 'executive or military department' means any agency listed under sections 101 and 102 of title 5; and
(3) the term 'Member of Congress' means a Senator, a Representative, a Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico.

USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - United States Code

IMHO I think it should remain half-staff for a week but what do I know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 10:11 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,355,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
US war heroes are not the enemy.

McCain was no war hero. He was a spoiled privileged kid of a 4 star admiral.

McCain deliberately 'wet-started' his A-4E Skyhawk to shake up the guy in the F-4 Phantom behind his plane.

McCain crashed 5 jets, plus was responsible for the Forrestal fire. McCain's 'wet-start" made the plane behind McCain's, fire a rocket, which hit McCain's external center fuel tank, and caused a fire. McCain then totally panicked, and dropped two bombs into the fire.

McCain was put in a chopper and whisked away. McCain was the only Forrestal crewman to be immediately transferred.

The guy was an idiot then and was an idiot to the day he died.
He was deliberately shot down by "Friendly Fire" because he was a loud mouth "hotshot" that crossed the wrong guy.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:12 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,488,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Here is the code as it pertains to McCain.

(m) The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff. The flag shall be flown at half-staff thirty days from the death of the President or a former President; ten days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. As used in this subsection -
(1) the term 'half-staff' means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;
(2) the term 'executive or military department' means any agency listed under sections 101 and 102 of title 5; and
(3) the term 'Member of Congress' means a Senator, a Representative, a Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico.

USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - United States Code

IMHO I think it should remain half-staff for a week but what do I know?
It seems like it is for a week, at least for a Congress person.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:21 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,348,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
No matter what Trump does, you people complain. Yes - it would have been nice if he flew it half staff for another day or two, but calm down. McCain hated Trump - he's lucky that Trump did anything for him at all. And I"m not saying I agreed with Trump's comments back in '15 either.
And it this is what it boils down to. Trump to this day does not realize the US Presidency is not about him.

Agree or not with his politics but Senator McCain served this country in various ways for many years and upon his passing deserves the respect of the Office if not the president personally.

Shameful and petulant.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:23 AM

52,219 posts, read 33,962,855 times
Quote:
It seems like it is for a week, at least for a Congress person.
'seems like it'?

you just read this in bold type, and that's what you came away with?

and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress

Old 08-27-2018, 10:32 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,092,262 times
Trump simply followed protocol...he has the option to extend the half mast until the funeral as Obama did for KKK leader and Hillary mentor, Robert Byrd. He simply chose to stick with protocol....and I don't blame him!

Old 08-27-2018, 10:42 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,028,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
If you even think about voting Dem you are not moderate anything. The Dem party is so far radical Left it's sickening. BTW, a McCain Republican is a Progressive, McCain even called himself Progressive, is just as bad as the far Left so I can see why you are attracted to them.
Trumpies think that everyone to the left of Rash Limbaugh is a Marxist-Leninist. No middle ground in their book.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:43 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,488,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
'seems like it'?

you just read this in bold type, and that's what you came away with?

and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress
What about “seems like” do you not comprehend? For myself, it seems to ME that the flags were at half staff for a member of Congress in the past. Capisce?

Old 08-27-2018, 10:44 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,708,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...mpression=true

Self-absorbed much? I hope this idiot doesn't get a single vote.

And there's classy Tomi Lahren campaigning for Ward, calling McCain a RINO in his final hours.

https://www.newsweek.com/tomi-lahren...atment-1090659

Narcissists. And obnoxious too.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:48 AM

52,219 posts, read 33,962,855 times
Quote:
What about “seems like” do you not comprehend? For myself, it seems to ME that the flags were at half staff for a member of Congress in the past. Capisce?
'seems like' is present tense.

your attempted explanation refers to past events.

that's what i don't comprehend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies