Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next Failed State?
Greece 4 19.05%
Turkey 5 23.81%
South Africa 13 61.90%
Ukraine 0 0%
Argentina 1 4.76%
Mexico 0 0%
Russia 0 0%
Moldova 1 4.76%
Brazil 2 9.52%
Armenia 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 10:22 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
With all that's going on in Venezuela, I can't help but wonder if another former developed rich country will ever fail. I've listed some countries which either are currently considered developed or have been developed in the past, that all have some current problems. I'm wondering which is the most likely to completely fail.
Where is the United States? Especially with the coming race war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 10:27 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Where is the United States? Especially with the coming race war.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:38 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
I actually did mean to include Saudi Arabia in this. You know in case they can't find a viable solution besides oil. Or you know other reasons.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:44 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Illinois. Especially if the incumbent governor gets reelected.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:02 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
None of the countries in that list were ever rich countries. And Venezuela was never really a rich country either.
It's not the wealth that counts. It's the wealth's management.

But you're wrong about most of those countries being not wealthy. Brazil is the wealthiest nation in South America, and most of the others are far from impoverished today.

It's seldom wealth alone that causes a nation's government to collapse, although it most often plays a part in the collapse.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:04 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Why isn’t America on this list?

Old 08-25-2018, 06:24 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
None of them are exactly 3rd world though. Venezuela was the richest country in Latin America at one point, and had a higher GDP than Spain.
They've always been third world though. They had at one point around 50-60 years ago a very small population and a high oil production, so it had quite a bit of money, but it was never developed in the industrialized sense.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It's not the wealth that counts. It's the wealth's management.

But you're wrong about most of those countries being not wealthy. Brazil is the wealthiest nation in South America, and most of the others are far from impoverished today.

It's seldom wealth alone that causes a nation's government to collapse, although it most often plays a part in the collapse.
Brazil isnt the wealthiest nation in South America. Chile is. Brazil has actually had the worst economic development of almost any country in the world in the last 30-40 years.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:54 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Brazil isnt the wealthiest nation in South America. Chile is. Brazil has actually had the worst economic development of almost any country in the world in the last 30-40 years.
Brazil has the highest GDP in all of South America. Brazil is the United States of South America. But yes, Chile is the economic miracle of South America at the moment. Back to Brazil, Brazil credit rating dropped to C level which is not good in my opinion. Brazil will have to pay more money of they borrow from lenders, and also expect to see wealthy Brazilians to invest their money else where due to the decline of its credit rating. Brazil needs to tackle corruption, as well as crime, but also needs to improve credit rating. Brazil also needs to do something about the flow of traffic from one part of the country to the other in order to ship out goods and services. Example the closest port for the City of Manaus which is a city in the Brazilian hinterland. The closest water port is not in Brazil but in another country called Guyana with its capital of Georgetown which has a shallow port. Everything from that part of the country has to be brought in by air, or by truck, if not through navigable rivers. Also Brazil does not have a bridge that spans across the Amazon River. I think Brazil will be ok. Brazil must try to find a way to connect the coast with the hinterland.

The country I see that can collapse in the near future is Turkey. Turkey Geography is a problematic challenge. Like Russia, a part of the nation is Asian, and the other part is European. The European side of Turkey is very pro western, liberal leaning. European side of Turkey has always been European leaning due to the cities history of Istanbul being Greek and Western European oriented. One day this part of Turkey will want to break away from the Asian side of Turkey. The Asian side of Turkey is far different from European Turkey.

The next country that can collapse is South Africa. The current race issue is going to cause the remaining number of whites to flee Than again, I don't know where 5 million folks will move to other than Australia. A good question is colored folks, if colored folks will stay or will also flee. A similar situation happened in my parents country of Guyana where remaining whites left Guyana for United States, Canada and Great Britain and took their money with them too after racial issues ignited. My best bet for South Africa can be heading into a race war. I hope South Africa can keep its name as a rainbow nation, and try to divide land up equally.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 08-25-2018 at 08:05 AM..

Old 08-25-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Brazil has the highest GDP in all of South America. Brazil is the United States of South America. But yes, Chile is the economic miracle of South America at the moment. Back to Brazil, Brazil credit rating dropped to C level which is not good in my opinion. Brazil will have to pay more money of they borrow from lenders, and also expect to see wealthy Brazilians to invest their money else where due to the decline of its credit rating. Brazil needs to tackle corruption, as well as crime, but also needs to improve credit rating. Brazil also needs to do something about the flow of traffic from one part of the country to the other in order to ship out goods and services. Example the closest port for the City of Manaus which is a city in the Brazilian hinterland. The closest water port is not in Brazil but in another country called Guyana with its capital of Georgetown which has a shallow port. Everything from that part of the country has to be brought in by air, or by truck, if not through navigable rivers. Also Brazil does not have a bridge that spans across the Amazon River. I think Brazil will be ok. Brazil must try to find a way to connect the coast with the hinterland.
Having the highest GDP is useless when that GDP has to be divided by the highest population by far. Brazil's GDP per person is nothing special. Even a country like the Dominican Republic is about to surpass Brazil in GDP per person, which is crazy. Brazil's economic performance is truly awful. The elites have no reason to open up for reform and change unlike the elites in Chile who feel threatened by Argentina, Peru and Bolivia. There is no miracle. Just elites who reluctantly are forced to open up for change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies