Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 05:04 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magaalot View Post
Well its definitely a trait I want in a Supreme Court Justice.
I'd hate to see a doormat become a Supreme Court Justice.
In fact after today's proceedings I now consider Kavanaugh my 2nd favorite public figure in the world.
He wasn't even on my radar before today.
No that is definitely not what you want in a supreme court justice, this was out of character for him, the president thought he was being weak.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:04 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
no. the confirmation vote will go to the full senate for a vote regardless of the committee recommendation. Mcconnell said this a few days ago.
Yep. And he'll be nominated last week. They should have skipped this sham of a hearing today. FBI investigation anyone? Not.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:05 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia
Did she ever explicitly tell them to stop? Did she say she wanted to leave the room?

A little hard to do with a hand over your mouth which is what she said he did when she started to screamed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Well it would have been nice to hear Kavanaugh answer the question that had already been asked 5 times, "would he ask the president to authorize an FBI investigation". Once again he answered he would do whatever the committee wants which of course wasn't the question. Why cant he just say "no".
God, an FBI investigation would scare him to death. That's why all his GOP buddies had to rush in and save his ass.

720 posts, read 500,385 times
Okay, I've watched this entire thing. Here are my thoughts:

I believe Brett Kavanaugh and I don't believe Christine Blasey Ford. Like, I don't think she's telling the truth, or at least the entirety of it.

I think it's possible to be believable without being credible. Credibility implies a certain degree of objectivity than believability. Just seeming emotional or crying or being visibly upset is enough to seem believable. But being credible is about facts.

Dr. Ford was believable because she seemed emotional and vulnerable. But she couldn't remember certain details not only from when this incident took place, but even a few weeks ago (i.e. the day she took the polygraph, who paid for it, if the Washington Post was shown her therapist's notes, etc). The number of people at the party changed in her retelling of the story, she doesn't know how she got to the party or how she left, and she can't name anyone who can corroborate her story. Add that to the fact that we can't see her therapist's notes and the overall shady way the Democrats have handled this, she doesn't seem credible.

I feel bad for saying that, but the truth is, and this is something we as adults need to understand about life especially in the times we live in...at a certain point we have to move on from things, true or not. I don't think she's a bad lady, but she doesn't have the goods to meet the rigorous standards we should maintain if we're going to accuse someone of sexual assault. Because there's no clean and simple way to refute those allegations, especially after decades have passed.

I don't think she wanted to testify. I don't think she's that sure it was Brett Kavanaugh who attacked her. I think her attorneys are just betting that the SJC would never vote to hold her in contempt if contradictory evidence came out. They would just say it was so long ago that she was mistaken and did not intend to perjure herself. So she was free to tell the most convenient version of her story.

I think Brett Kavanaugh was believable and credible. I was glad he didn't have a slick, lawyerly way about him. He came off angry, resentful, frazzled -- like a guy who has had a rough week. He shares a home with three women, so I know it's been tough trying to keep it together for them.

Last edited by jdmil; 09-27-2018 at 05:33 PM..

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
This is a dishonest tactic that I've seen used by both left and right to try to shut people down. It's just a hair better than "I bet you're a racist" and it's not something I would advise you to continue.
Oh please. It's a cute joke because she doesn't know who a famous 80s TV actress is. That's a far cry from calling someone a racist.

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Trumplings are in meltdown mode.
I'd rather be a Trumpling, as you say, that a member of the party formed to perpetuate slavery and who is actively and shamelessly sodomizing America. Any day, bucko, any day.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What's the point of the committee vote then?
Theatrics. Total sham.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:06 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,592 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I believe that somewhere in the US, there are two young men who do know the truth - who did this act and have gotten away with it. They, and only they know the truth.

Boy that would make a thrilling novel.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
No there doesn't need to be an investigation because its not a federal crime, its a local police matter.

Look I dont have a horse in this race, Im a conservative but It doesn't bother me 1 bit if he gets voted in or not.

That said its completely suspect IMO that Ford, who is an anti trump activists waits close to 40 years to finally come forward with this accusation. Now making these allegations if false are completely damaging, see Duke Lacrosse team. It should be a crime to damage someones reputation by making these allegations if not true.

Lets say they are true, why bring it up now. You can't prove it. What she is doing is basically a massive smear campaign which right or left is wrong.

By allowing this it does 2 things...It opens the door for anyone coming into public office to get a stigma rather true or false stick to their name and drag their family into it.

It also discredits people who actually suffered assault. It's becoming crying wolf. Eventually the police will just ignore it when it actually happens.
Then why don't we have an FBI investigation so they can prove that she's lying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies