Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 03:42 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,699,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Has anyone noticed this? He's born again politically. It's like he was under McCain's shadow. Today's speech at the Kavanaugh hearing was historic. Powerful and raw. I was never a fan before but am now
I think he sounded like a fool who was trying to help out Kavenaugh whose hearing was not going well. Kavenaugh refused to answer a number of questions directly. I'm sure those whose votes can make or break his approval were paying close attention. Funniest thing about him is that he is a closeted gay in the RepubliCON party. Complete hypocrite.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
He has become a Trump boot licker...

Lindsey Graham is being blackmailed
https://www.palmerreport.com/opinion...y-graham/7075/
Yeah, he did make a 180 in a short span. I've always thought Graham was unstable and he has always been a war hawk like his recently deceased buddy McCain. That's the main reason I dislike him. I dislike a lot of Senators - they are a pathetic bunch for the most part.

Bernie 2020

Old 09-28-2018, 03:48 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,824,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I feel the same, but I don't think it's that easy to flee to Canada -- they don't let just anyone come in. I also think we should stay and fight the Nazis that have a foothold here. Our forefathers pledged their lives and all they owned to protect our democracy.

I believe they have destroyed too many of America's institutions ,and have already taken America past the point of no return. I am 67,too old to fight or stomach what America has become. New Zealand would be my first choice, but I am hoping that Canada would be easier to emigrate to, than NZ is.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
There's no mystery here.

He has been promised the Attorney General job, if he gives a pledge of loyalty to Trump, which he apparently has.

After the mid-terms (if the Dems don't take both houses): Sessions & Rosenstein are fired, Graham is AG (loyal to Trump, not the law). Rosenstein's replacement & Graham will cut off the Mueller investigation, or if completed, do what they can to prevent the public from knowing the results. If necessary, Trump will take the issues he's found guilty of to the Supreme Court, where there are two people who have pledged loyalty to Trump (not to the law).

That's the plan. Keep up! Things are moving fast, albeit under the table.

Graham's performance was despicable today. It was unprofessional, fake, unconscionable, disrespectful of the process. Everything in the country is devolving into ape-like behavior, because of the ape-like, vitriolic tone of the President. The President has historically been a role model, showing calmness in times of stress, a capable captain leading a steady ship. But not now.

Graham's performance (and that's what it was, a performance) will be shown in the future as an example of how the Republicans devolved into out of control hysteria for the perp instead of for the victim. He had the nerve to claim that Kavanaugh's life has been ruined? Poor thing...he is either going to the S.Ct. or to a Circuit Court as judge, and continu to live his elite, wealthy life, surrounded by his good ol' boy friends, and going to the country club every weekend.
I don't disagree with your scenario being a possibility. Gonna be sad if they approve Kavenaugh. They seem to not understand what is going on. It's irritating when you feel like you know more about what is going on than most Senators. I would love to be proven wrong and ignorant.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:52 AM

Quote:
I think he sounded like a fool who was trying to help out Kavenaugh whose hearing was not going well. Kavenaugh refused to answer a number of questions directly. I'm sure those whose votes can make or break his approval were paying close attention. Funniest thing about him is that he is a closeted gay in the RepubliCON party. Complete hypocrite.
You NAILED HIM!

Old 09-28-2018, 03:52 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,854,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
You are right in that we somehow expect Justices to magically park their partisanship in chambers and never display them in open court.
I am right that this has little to do with women being violated and everything to do with partisan politics.
Due process is being destroyed, the presumption of innocence is being railroaded. That is the issue I have with this circus.
All it takes is someone making a claim to destroy a person's life work, reputation and career. That is just wrong.
No proof, no evidence no nothing other than claims. The first woman couldn't even get her story straight.

I think about what if it were me? I have never done wrong, at least not in that regard. This demonstrates that my life can be ruined on a whim.
People lie all the time. Ive seen it where I work. Now watching this circus, I see that a very weak story started an avalanche.
Women never lie about rape? Never lie about sexual harassment? Happens far to often. Quite a few men went to prison only to have it later determined they were innocent. At least they had a fair trial and evidence was produced.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
^^^DITTO^^^

Graham was visibly angry, and rightly so. He is right.
He was performing for Trump, his new God-idol.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:53 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,672,119 times
I have supported the President from day one and continue to.

But I already had seriously doubts about this second nominee's honesty and character going into yesterday's hearings. Nonetheless, I expected to come out of them on the side of confirmation support. I expected that Kavanaugh's credibility gaps would be dwarfed by those of Ford. Exactly the opposite is the way it unfolded.

It is as though someone, perhaps the President or perhaps someone else, gave Kavanaugh a piece of the very worst possible advice that could be given. It is as though someone told him to try to be Trump for the day.

Only Trump can be Trump and come out ahead in the game - way ahead. For anyone else, the "don't try this at home" warning is critical.

I believe Ford and was not persuaded by Kavanaugh's repeatedly evasive denials. After yesterday, no one should have any problem fitting him into the stereotypical entitled and spoiled child of privilege.

And, though reason enough to keep him away from the nation's highest court, grave doubts about honesty and character are not my only concerns. Chances are this guy is going to come down on the side of wealth and privilege every time. Chances are this guy would be the best friend the oligarchy ever had.

I don't like to consider that most on the right end of the political spectrum are as blindly partisan as those on the utterly loony left, but I'm afraid those still supporting Kavanaugh after yesterday are just that.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
He has become a Trump boot licker...

Lindsey Graham is being blackmailed
https://www.palmerreport.com/opinion...y-graham/7075/

McCain would be sickened! I can't believe he was ever close friends with this CREEP!

Old 09-28-2018, 03:55 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,854,463 times
Quote:
The man is NOT ENTITLED to serve on the Supreme Court, but he seems to act as if he is entitled to be approved as was shown by his angry outbursts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...=.d409dd92e27b
No he isn't entitled. That said if he is innocent then he is being slandered and has just cause to be angry, very angry. As a judge he also knows that he is supposed to be presumed innocent until proven guilty. Can you honestly say that he has been treated that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies