Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 07:38 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Looks like appealing to his sense of right and wrong worked, since Flake was the one who said he wouldn't vote yes without the FBI investigation. I still have no idea why Kavanaugh wouldn't have jumped at the opportunity for the FBI to be able to clear him... I'm sure he's thankful now that it will be done and he can rest easy, knowing that he did nothing wrong, that "boof" meant "fart," and that he just has a very weak stomach (and likes beer). Seems like a win-win situation for all involved.
They investigated him 6 times already and found nothing. They did background checks on him 6 times.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:38 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Very iffy, very unreliable measure. Some people can't go if they tense up and can't relax - this is not a realiable indicator of anything. But what a great detective you are!

Well, I DID state that it was a ridiculous thought. I stand by that statement, it is ridiculous.
Kinda like a lot of other posts on this thread.
Again, SSDD

Old 09-29-2018, 07:39 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
For me, it's exposed how in so many ways "we the people" are a sad and sorry lot.

For days I have watched on the TV and listened on the radio to the proceedings. And right there is the sad part, that I'm actually listening to this in the first place. Was Kavanaugh not properly vetted? Is Ford as credible as the #MeToo movement wants her to be?

To actually throw the word circus into the conversation about government is simply sad. I don't care if it's deserving or not (for me it is and Trump has earned it). The Trump presidency has seemed like a circus, and Kavanaugh's proceedings are just an extension of it all. People are more interested in spending time trying to chop the legs off of people than to attempt to work with them. Trump has been on the defensive since day 1. Kavanaugh supposedly did something a very long time ago that I bet many drunk young people have done, but because he's looking to sit on the highest court of the land, no longer can such an incident be termed a mistake. Instead it's worthy of destroying his name, his family, his life.

And so it is in 2018 - a world where no one is safe, all peoples past can be dug up, and the word bad to past indiscretions can be attached to almost anything. Maybe Kavanaugh doesn't belong in the Supreme Court because he almost raped a woman, a story for which we'll never know the truth to how much accountability Ford has in the incident. Yet Kavanaugh should now be termed a sexual predator. Maybe Kavanaugh inhaled pot once and that makes him a druggie. Maybe he masturbated once and is now a perv.

I think we've gone too far now, simple as that.

He'll still be a judge right?

Old 09-29-2018, 07:40 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,339 times
All the screeching about Brett Kavanaugh being innocent and Ford being a liar (when Kavanaugh himself has already been caught in several lies) is nothing but white male privilege rising up in indignant outrage that anyone should question that privilege. Kavanaugh's unhinged, partisan and bizarre belligerence was the behavior of a predator backed against a wall. If the situation had been reversed and Kavanaugh had conducted himself with quiet dignity (as Ford did), while Ford had come out yelling about Republican conspiracy theories and full of belligerence and hostility, Kavanaugh's supporters would have immediately labeled her behavior insane ravings. Now, they are actually claiming that Ford mistook someone else for Kavanaugh. They are actually trying to gaslight her. Appalling, not to mention an utterly absurd move on the part of desperate old white men.

Further, the maniacal claims that the Democrats are "evil" or dishonest are nothing more than right-wing projections of GOP tactics. It was the GOP who denied Obama the pick of a Supreme Court Justice, which no Congress in history has ever done. And the right wing response to this--"Elections have consequences"--is bizarre. Yes, elections have consequences, one of which is that an elected sitting President has the right to nominate a Supreme Court candidate for a hearing. To deny him that right was the most blatant, dirty move imaginable. And yet now the right wing is calling "foul"? People are sick of this bull.

21,932 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You know, we all sift through this stuff from our own perspectives and our life events shape our perspectives.

I was violently raped - no drugs or alcohol or party involved - by someone I thought was a casual friend when I was a teenager. I reported this event to the police. I developed PTSD. I went to counseling. I moved past it. It's not my favorite chapter in my life but it happened and I refuse to let that one hour of my life define who I am for the rest of my life.

I have a bevy of female cousins who are all around my same age. We have all the same uncles and grandfathers - only the titles change a bit between all of us. We all spent many summers around these same men, one of whom is my father by the way. I look back on these times as very happy times in my life. We were an affluent family by the way, just to throw that in. Without exception, my cousins and I grew up in at LEAST upper middle class families - several (not me) grew up in wealthy families. Note - my dad eschewed the family business (movies and theaters) and instead joined the military, so out of all these cousins, I was the most "middle class" - my dad didn't start his own business and become fairly wealthy till I was out of high school, but still - my point is that none of us grew up poor, and we all grew up with some level of affluence and comfort. I attended public schools most of my life, but nearly all my cousins attended private schools.

Anyway, as luck would have it, almost every single one of my cousins ended up as liberals, some very vocal liberals. In fact, at least one of them has "unfriended me" on social media because though I don't post political stuff on social media, she knows that I am a Christian and that my husband works in the oil and gas industry, and that we are comfortably upper middle class (she has cut off all ties with all of her immediate family and is now on 100 percent disability and a fixed income). So these elements of my life are damning enough in her book for her to "unfriend me" and block me. So much for tolerance, but I digress. Anyway, back to all the girl cousins. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE ONES WHO ARE NOW LIBERALS HAS ACCUSED VARIOUS UNCLES/GRANDFATHERS/ETC OF SEXUALLY ABUSING THEM WHEN THEY WERE KIDS. ONE OF THEM EVEN ACCUSED MY DAD OF "MAKING A PASS AT HER" ONCE WHEN SHE WAS IN COLLEGE. Now, keep in mind that I know all of these people, some of them very very well. I was a cute kid, same general age as all my girl cousins (we were all born within three years of each other), hung out every summer (this is the time period they claim to have been sexually abused), and get this - I was never treated inappropriately by ANY of the men in question. Not only that, I simply cannot imagine my dad ever "making a pass" at any of these young women - but especially the one in question, because I have known both of them my entire life and my dad has NEVER behaved inappropriately with any woman to my knowledge. This is actually a pretty serious accusation she leveled at my dad, and I remember when she did it, and how mad both my parents got at this accusation. This was when she was on a tear accusing everyone in the family, and my dad was talking with her and mentioned that as a young man (he was about 20 years older than her) he thought he would have picked up on at least some of this behavior from all these loved ones, and that's when she accused him of complicity as well.

Now all of these cousins continually bring up how they endured sexual abuse from the men in our family - serious, serious charges - and I've yet to see a smidgen of evidence of this. Talk about smearing someone's reputation (and they're all dead now so no one can defend themselves). It's like a huge black smear on our family - and honestly, honestly, I NEVER SAW A BIT OF IT.

I asked my husband yesterday, "What was I - chopped liver? None of my uncles ever tried to mess with ME!" OK, bad joke but come on - you'd think that somewhere along the way, I would have noticed SOMETHING.

I'll tell you something even more enlightening. We had a huge family reunion at "the old homestead" one year. I was about 12 or 13, as were my cousins. At night, since there were so many people there, the women slept in one big bedroom (it had three beds in it) and the men were sort of scattered all over the house in other bedrooms and on sofas, pallets on the floor, etc. I remember I was all wadded up in a bed with about three other girl cousins and I simply couldn't sleep. I decided I had to get out of that bed and that room, so I slipped out and tried to find my dad - I thought he was sleeping on a pallet and I was going to lay down next to him to get out of that stuffy room and hot bed. So I thought I'd found him, and I crawled under the covers behind this person and snuggled up against their back - and it was my UNCLE instead - the uncle that later on several of my cousins accused of sexual assault (after he was dead). It took me a couple of moments to realize it wasn't my dad. My uncle, who I woke up, didn't do a thing to me other than say, "Your dad is over there." Now, I was embarrassed, but I was certainly not sexually assaulted.

All these accusations by various cousins over the past few years has really been surprising to me. By the way, the only other girl cousin our age who doesn't claim that family members sexually assaulted her during those years is another Christian and a conservative. I just think that's interesting.
Well, I am very sorry all of that happened to you. You sound like a strong, amazing person.

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Nahhhh, just showing passion for his name and job....
Passion? He was belligerent, aggressive, bullying, attacking those interviewing him & so on.

How does that make him fit for the job?

Old 09-29-2018, 07:41 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
after this kavanaugh farce, even I, a woman, am afraid of other women.

If a woman can assassinate my character by only providing a believable story that I assaulted her, how could I fight back? I couldn't.
This happens in Divorce Court as well. A friend of mine recently came home from work to find a a Sheriff waiting in front of his house. He was not allowed to enter his home because his wife had filed fictitious accusations of being groped in bed!

They had been discussing divorce - he wanted to have an amicable divorce, but her attorneys persuaded her to play dirty and go for the jugular!

He has no control of any of his assets, and now even has issues with his young daughter.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:42 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Continues to demonstrate a pattern of democrat strategy where they sacrifice the innocent people they pretend to protect for their political advantage.

Who could embrace such a hate and fear mongering party, who will sacrifice anyone without notice, when it is to their political advantage. direct descendants of the people who burned witches based on rumors and lies.

No room here for guilt by political declaration.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:44 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
What follows is an analysis of the way Kavanaugh and Ford testified: https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...-hearing-chart

The chart speaks volumes about the evasion techniques used by Brett Kavanaugh.

Old 09-29-2018, 07:45 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
https://youtu.be/uGxr1VQ2dPI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies