Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 11:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
And has continued to lead an honorable and worthwhile life.

While Clarence Thomas has been an embarrassment on the SC.

and why; would you say that? Is it because you do not like his voting record?

VLWH you mentioned ignoring the facts and details: do you think the other side has to have details or facts. They just want to do anything they can to stall this appointment, hoping the Dems will take over in Nov. I doubt it will work.

Old 09-15-2018, 12:11 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Clarence Thomas has written almost no landmark decisions and rarely asks a question or even even bothers to pay attention during oral arguments. For years, reports have been that he reclines back and stares at the ceiling. His votes support the causes his wife gets paid to lobby for.

What if all nine Justices behaved like this?

Kavanaugh has lied to Congress on several occasion. He no more belongs on the Supreme Court than Thomas does.

Old 09-15-2018, 12:28 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
Quote:
Clarence Thomas has written almost no landmark decisions and rarely asks a question or even even bothers to pay attention during oral arguments. For years, reports have been that he reclines back and stares at the ceiling. His votes support the causes his wife gets paid to lobby for.

What if all nine Justices behaved like this?

Kavanaugh has lied to Congress on several occasion. He no more belongs on the Supreme Court than Thomas does.
At least he is awake.

Old 09-15-2018, 12:34 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I've reached a point of not caring, I just want to enjoy the entertainment value of the left wing extremists melting down because they cant control it. I'm sure there will be plenty of ridiculousness to go around on both sides though. The real entertainment will be if/when Ruthie or Bayer keel over during Trumps term and we see the Ds try to enact the whole Garland foot dragging defense. Definitely time to stock up on the popcorn.
I'm at that point too. I used to care a lot more, and follow things when there were actually people on both sides of issues accurately articulating questions that were reasonable and germane to the subject. Not it's literally a circus atmosphere. Certainly not fitting of what we should expect from our elected officials.

I watched one particular Senator from California repeatedly asking Kavanaugh questions she should have known full well he couldn't/shouldn't answer. If he were to have answered them he would be disqualified from even being on the court....in my opinion anyway. A judge isn't supposed to answer how he/she would rule before a case is brought in front of them.

She kept pushing these same series of questions, and making statements in her "questions" making it sound like he was hiding something if he didn't answer....despicable behavior from her. She was either ignorant (ie stupid) if she didn't know a judicial nominee should not answer such questions, or despicable person for repeatedly wasting time asking him questions he shouldn't/couldn't answer and trying to make it look like he was hiding something.

Best just to realize that we cannot control this circus, get the popcorn, and watch the inevitable meltdown.

We used to call the other side the "loyal opposition", now I believe they are more like bomb throwers with little room for understanding any point of view other than then one they are currently screaming about. When our kids were young, we called those temper tantrums! You know.....the kids would throw their arms and legs around, roll around on the floor screaming and threatening to hold their breath until they got their way......now unfortunately we call many of them recently (last 10-15 years mostly) elected officials.

Old 09-15-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
At least he is awake.
Hard to tell at times.

What should be most concerning is not that he goes years without asking a question in oral arguments, it's that he votes for decisions that his wife is paid to lobby for.

At the very least, it is a conflict of interest, if not outright bribery.

Old 09-15-2018, 01:54 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,435,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I'm at that point too. I used to care a lot more, and follow things when there were actually people on both sides of issues accurately articulating questions that were reasonable and germane to the subject. Not it's literally a circus atmosphere. Certainly not fitting of what we should expect from our elected officials.

I watched one particular Senator from California repeatedly asking Kavanaugh questions she should have known full well he couldn't/shouldn't answer. If he were to have answered them he would be disqualified from even being on the court....in my opinion anyway. A judge isn't supposed to answer how he/she would rule before a case is brought in front of them.

She kept pushing these same series of questions, and making statements in her "questions" making it sound like he was hiding something if he didn't answer....despicable behavior from her. She was either ignorant (ie stupid) if she didn't know a judicial nominee should not answer such questions, or despicable person for repeatedly wasting time asking him questions he shouldn't/couldn't answer and trying to make it look like he was hiding something.

Best just to realize that we cannot control this circus, get the popcorn, and watch the inevitable meltdown.

We used to call the other side the "loyal opposition", now I believe they are more like bomb throwers with little room for understanding any point of view other than then one they are currently screaming about. When our kids were young, we called those temper tantrums! You know.....the kids would throw their arms and legs around, roll around on the floor screaming and threatening to hold their breath until they got their way......now unfortunately we call many of them recently (last 10-15 years mostly) elected officials.
He couldn't answer Harris s question because if he lied he d be busted and if he told the truth he d be busted.
The Hatch Republicans are the tantrum bunch by shouting out that Kav shouldn't have to answer the question because there are so many law firms in Washington...despite the fact that it was a simple Yes or No question. Talk about childish.

How's he going to answer questions now about attempt ed kidnapping and rape. Like Trump this guy is a bad guy.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:22 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

VLWH you mentioned ignoring the facts and details: do you think the other side has to have details or facts. They just want to do anything they can to stall this appointment, hoping the Dems will take over in Nov. I doubt it will work.
Even if they win in November there is still the lame duck session to vote for him. It’s not like the change happens overnight after an election.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
You aren't the least bit concerned about about Trump's hiring choices? Really?

Good grief, two of his campaign managers, his national security advisor, his personal attorney, and several others he's hired ... have all plead guilty to felonies.

Cohen stood in court and named Trump as a co-conspirator in a criminal enterprise.

The argument that Trump hasn't been formally charged with a crime yet seems short-term at best.
Trump didn’t pick Kavanaugh. He went with The Federalist list, and I’m fine with that. Plus Kavanaugh is a good man.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Trump didn’t pick Kavanaugh. He went with The Federalist list, and I’m fine with that. Plus Kavanaugh is a good man.
I don't know that he's a good man.

There is evidence that he knew about and had seen documents stolen from Democrats and he has lied repeatedly about that to Congress. It appears he has committed perjury on couple other matters as well, such as whether he was involved in vetting a particular judiciary nominee.

He tap danced around for a good long time before denying that he had discussed the Mueller investigation with anyone at Kasowitz' law firm. It was clear he didn't want to answer the question with all his hemming and hawing about how he didn't know what was at the law firm.

A former colleague and long-time friend is a partner at Kasowitiz Benson and Torres. Impossible to imagine Kavanaugh would not know that and difficult to believe he would not have discussed the Mueller investigation with him.

Also, he is not insisting that the documents be released that Republicans have blocked. If he has nothing to hide, then he should release the documents.

But from what we've seen so far, it appears that he is not truthful.

Old 09-15-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post

And the sad thing is that it’s all congress does now. They don’t vote on controversial issues because they always want to hold onto power. They might give a sop to their base every once in a while (like tax cuts or the ACA). All they do is hold fundraisers and hearings, where they are just fundraising. Cory Booker’s Spartacus moment was so he could send out that email asking for money.

When was the last time any of their many hearings amounted to anything but getting them some camera time? They’re all disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies