Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 12:14 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Yeah, you know what, I’m not buying this faux ‘Oh we only want the truth’ BS routine from Democrats anymore. If they were interested in the truth, this would have been brought up in closed session where it could have protected Ford’s anonymity, or when the gave over a thousand written questions for Kavanaugh to answer, or when Feinstein sat down one on one with Kavanugh. They could have referred it to the police. There are a million things they could have done if they were interested in the truth. But no, they used it and Ford to make this a media circus, to smear Kavanugh’s reputation, to harm his family, to utterly destroy all the work he’s done, and call him a sexual predator in the public square without a shred of evidence. So yeah, this IS about the Democrats and Republicans. The Democrats played this super dirty and I have zero issues with the Republicans calling them out on it.
I agree and know lots of Democrats who also agree and will probably be #WalkingAway.

Silly Dems still don't have a clue how much they have damaged themselves.

Last edited by Blondy; 09-30-2018 at 01:25 AM..

Old 09-30-2018, 12:15 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
this is bound to put a crimp in a prized leftist talking point:

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonal...30634103025664

Old 09-30-2018, 12:15 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
What’s to prepare for?

Of course it’ll be pointless.

I knew that all along.

You need to stop thinking I’m a partisan type.

They’ll keep up this “investigation theatre” for awhile, then Jeff Flake can lean on “the FBI concluded that he’s innocent” as he casts his vote in favor.

There will have to be one hell of a shocking turn of events for Kavanaugh not to be confirmed. Repubs need to get him on before November. To hell with whether or not he’s guilty or innocent.

The whole committee pissed me off. ALL OF THEM.

LOL. We need new Congresspeople. These are either ancient, screwballs, or both.
You cannot really believe that you are are not a hyper-partisan type. Come on, now.

Let me guess, were you also one of those people who regarded Obama as a moderate/centrist? LOL.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:16 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
For any diplomat or a future Supreme Court judge or a future President, I would expect dignified anger.
Not the, 'I won't eat my Maypo' postures.

Impatience and frustration are to be expected...my gosh, the poor guy's life has been turned upside down!
Be an adult in a judicial position and glare if you want to, hit the table once with your fist, talk slowly to make your point....but this shrill shouting and quit unattractive facial expressions are not what I want
in a prestigious Supreme Court Judge.

So sue me...that is how I see it.
And I am sure he's a great guy and all the women in his life say he is. I believe them. But, I see severe immaturity in his presentation of himself.

It is, as most know, the telling of a man's character when under pressure....Dem or Rep.

I know this may sound terrible...I don't care if he was way drunk and did what he did...he was 17!
I don't know if I would have written any letter to my Rep...Dr. Ford needs EMDR therapy to get
over her trauma...which is very real.
His actions during that hearing concern me much more than something nobody will be able to prove from 1982.

I am compassionate toward both parties because, while I absolutely believe Ms Ford thinks he attacked her, I do not know exactly what happened.

But, to lose it like he did and lash out at one of the two major political parties tells me this man will have to recuse himself from every vote involving that political party. He’s a bad choice.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
While the CFO of a fast-growing medical tech company, I was accused by a female staff member of harassment.

When I was brought into the conference room with all the other executive team members, I confronted the CEO and asked him why he had taken a female member of MY staff on a week-long, pre-IPO, nation-wide tour of our company.

That kind of put a wrench in their argument.
That seems like a reasonable response to being accused.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:18 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I’ll take on your list.

My answers to each:
1. Yep, this was pure politics. Dirty, no, but political gamesmanship, yep. If the shoe had been on the other foot, the Democrats would have done it too. Why don’t I think it was dirty? No one’s reputation was destroyed, no one’s family was destroyed, no one was denigrated and called a predator in the public square. There is zero comparison. One was political and made people hopping mad at being outmanuervered politically. The other caused real tangible damage to people’s lives, reputation, and standing.

2. You must not have watched the hearing. This is precisely what the Democrats agreed to. Suggest you go back and rewatch.

3. Factually incorrect. Gorsuch was the person Scalia’s seat, the seat Obama nominated Garland for but was not confirmed. Kavanaugh is up for Kennedy’s seat, the one vacated after Kennedy retired.

4. Trump is the leader of the GOP. That’s the way this works. Just like Obama was leader of the Democrats when he was President. And no President, ever, and I mean ever, has been considered neutral. How do you not know this?

5. Trying to not lose it here on this absurd point. The GOP wa so careful to not even appear like they were being mean to Ford that they hired someone with experience in sexual assault cases to question her. She didn’t even get hard questions. The Democrats tripped over themselves calling her brave and heroic. Conversely, they did not treat Kavanaugh with the same sensitivity. They didn’t have someone skilled in sexual assault cases asking him questions. No, they tore into him. Only after the Republicans say the Democrats were clearly not having the same respect for finding the truth did they ask questions themselves of Kavanugh. Yes, it was an unbalanced hearing to the favor of the Democrats. I felt this was a mistake by the GOP - Ford should have been asked the tough questions too.

6. Kavanaugh was bring accused by those same Democrats of being a rapist, a sexual predator, and a gang rapist. Booker called him evil for god’s sake. He was 100% justified in his anger, disappointment, and frustration at the circus the Democrats created by their actions. His not showing any emotion would have been disqualifying because we don’t want sociopaths on the bench and only a sociopath could have remained emotionless in the face of such horrible accusations.

—— Break break ——-

This is what you consider dirty politics?? Kavanaugh has been labeled a flipping rapist without any proof. His family has genuinely suffered. His reputation is forever marred by an accusation that doesn’t even have a whiff of proof. And all of that is because Democrats decided to hold Ford’s letter until the day of the vote for political reasons when it would surely cause the most damage in the court of public opinion instead of dealing with it earlier in the closed hearings. That’s what real dirty politics looks like.

1) No Democratic Congress has ever done this. Neither has any other Republican Congress. It's beyond the pale even of political gamesmanship, and the Republicans didn't have to "outmaneuver" anybody: they just refused.

2) I watched the hearing. Disagree.

3) Aside from the main point I was making.

4) No, that is not "the way it works." At least, not among civilized people. Obama never, ever conducted himself publicly as Trump has done. Are you kidding me?

5) A total misreading of the situation, in my opinion.

6) Weak, because you're simply projecting your own emotional/political bias onto him (even if we all were). For all you know, Kavanaugh is lying. Nobody knows the truth.

The rest of your post: See #6.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:19 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
What has she lost? She's a liberal in the most liberal part of California and teaching at liberal schools. She has returned to celebration. She has lost nothing.
Exactly.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
While Kavanaugh is currently a public face, this sort of thing happens a lot, arrests for example. A person is arrested, mug shot tossed online, and charges never pressed/dismissed, or not found guilty, bu the fact the person was "arrested for such and such" stigma will always be there, and in the case of something involving a child, a degree of mistrust. Really sucks for that person.
True. But, when people go into such high-profile, public careers...this sort of thing is ALWAYS a possibility.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:20 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
You cannot really believe that you are are not a hyper-partisan type. Come on, now.

Let me guess, were you also one of those people who regarded Obama as a moderate/centrist? LOL.
I can’t stand when obviously partisan people claim to not be such. It happens here s lot and more so in this thread. I have no problem admitting my bias. Heck yeah, I’m partisan. I’ve seen what the other side had to offer, especially of late, and no thanks!

After this circus Democrats orchestrated with Ford, I’m even more convinced my choice of support is the right one.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:21 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post

Newsflash: Obama was a moderate/centrist. You would know that if you knew the history of politics in 20th-century America. If he were President during the 1950s, he would have been a Republican (Eisenhower taxed the rich 90%).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies