Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 08:51 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,390,519 times

Advertisements

This is now just a dog and pony show. Short of the accuser going before the committee and saying George Soros paid me to make up the allegation, or the nominee breaking down A Few Good Men style and screaming "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH" before confessing, not one single person in the world is going to know anything more next week than now. She'll say it happened, he and the other witness she named will say it didn't. Both sides will attempt character assassination against those testifying. Those who believe her now will continue to, just as those who don't will not. The way the alleged event was described (she didn't mention anything like bruising), there would have been no evidence beyond he said/she said 35 years ago, much less now.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,932,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Many others do not. MORE do not report rape than do report rape. Duh.

I watched part of the Anita Hill hearings on Rachel M. last night. Wow. Men on the judiciary committee better hope they come off better next week than they did back then.

Times have changed.

What a gross spectacle they turned that into.

Read MY lips. There is no such thing as the Biden Rule
If "more do not report rape than do" then how would you know that they didn't or that it even happened?

Let's hope things haven't changed so much than a vague accusation with little to no facts to back them up destroy someone. Of course unless YOU want to be subject to those same rules?

Old 09-18-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
What's more, it is typically used to trivialize what are legitimate ethical concerns. I remember when the Trumpsters used that phrase a great deal when their boy admitted on tape to sexually assaulting women. Yeah, they used that phrase to excuse the inexcusable.

I don't know about you, but I think there's a moral hazard in binary political thinking, where people will excuse pretty much anything as long as it's done by the side they support.
Actually if memory serves he didn't specifically admit to DOING it, he said he could. Do you have some different information?

Old 09-18-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. Hard to tell at this point.

Since Kavanaugh has proven to be a liar, under oath no less, on multiple occasions, I don't put much faith in what he swears to.
Really? Provide the PROOF. Not some pundit yapping or a Democrat opinion/talking point but actual documented proof. If that proof existed his confirmation would already be over. Time to put up or shut up...
I'll wait...

Old 09-18-2018, 09:00 AM

46,200 posts, read 26,966,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I suspect he will withdraw his name before the testimony starts next Monday.

A reporter tried to track down those 65 women who swore Kavenaugh treated them respectfully in high school.

Only two still stand by him. Only two.

The rest have either declined to comment, or declined to return phone calls.

So that means what?

Old 09-18-2018, 09:03 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,065,167 times
There's no way this hearing on Monday "goes well."

A woman who is accusing a SCOTUS nominee will be GRILLED and republican committee members will purposely do whatever they can do attack her character and discredit her.

Democrat or republican, this is just sad.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:03 AM

10,500 posts, read 6,979,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Actually if memory serves he didn't specifically admit to DOING it, he said he could. Do you have some different information?
"You know, I’m automatically attracted to beautiful — I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything...Grab ’em by the *****. You can do anything."

Not to take this down a rabbit hole, but this sounds nonconsensual as hell to me. Plus it's pretty sleazy.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:05 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,065,167 times
Since many people on both sides are already saying that this hearing Monday will end up being a stalemate and "he said vs she said," would it only be right that an FBI investigation be opened?

IF the situation was flipped and a liberal SCOTUS nominee were accused of sexual assault and the hearings were a "he said she said," would republicans here on City-Data be calling for an FBI investigation? Yes, absolutely they would.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:08 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,159,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
"He also wrote a book about being drunk and blasted". So did Obama, again, your point? Just because you don't like your hero being pointed out doesn't make the statement wrong...
Again,

1. The topic was Mark Judge, not Obama.

2. Obama never wrote an entire book about being blasted in high school.

3. Deflecting to Obama on every subject is just pitiful.

Old 09-18-2018, 09:09 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,254,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And the women from macho cultures seem to love their role as being the sexy temptress. And most would take what happened to Ford as a compliment, that she was so attractive that the boys couldn't help themselves.
This is an absolutely disgusting mindset. People don't get raped or sexually assaulted because they're attractive, or because of what they're wearing. Babies get raped. Children get raped. Elderly people in nursing homes get raped. Were they raped because they're hot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies