Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 11:42 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Everyone no matter their political persuasion should be interested in whether or not Brett Kavanaugh is a liar...

Read these comments he made in his prep school yearbook featured in this article--
Note the one to the "Devi's Triangle"
Brett Kavanaugh's high school yearbook entry touts 'Keg City Club' membership, other references to beer drinking - NY Daily News

The woman who gave that yearbook to the attorney who is quoted did not want to have HER name revealed either when she turned it over--maybe it was her brother's, a husband's, maybe she knew someone who was a teacher---
As a teacher myself I often bought a copy of my school's yearbook...

The fact that Kavanaugh (and maybe others) made such comments--referring to illegal drinking and other activities --makes me think that was common culture in his environment and that the school authorities took little interest in even policing references to it in the yearbook

As someone who taught in the early 70s and then returned to teaching in late 90s-early 2000s--
In MOST public ISDs comments like Kavanaugh made would not be allowed by the 2000s...
Even if the behavior likely existed in the student body...

So if anyone has been reading recent stories about private schools and their own failures to police inappropriate behaviors on parts of their faculty abusing students and student to student...
Many schools just didn't want to expose the damaging behavior happening in its sphere
And still don't...

It is certainly possible for investigations to be done about past events even as long ago as this one because they have been done in other instances
Consider the investigations of child sex abuse among the Catholic diocese in the US---

It can be done
It MIGHT bring more questionable behavior to light
It MIGHT NOT--but saying that it is too hazy is just a cop out
Other women who were victimized might have much better memories and other evidence but for reasons like Ford's did not persue making their experiences known...
And frankly boys talk--boys brag--and I imagine Kavanaugh's follow preppies know more than they are saying about this...and his past behavior...
OMG!!!! Really? His posts sound typical of any teenage high school or college boy who wants to appear cool and fun to hang with. And what about all the kids who flock to those Spring Break party hangouts? Do you condemn all of them too as permanent lifelong losers??????

So what if as a teenager, Kavanaugh wasn't a teetotalling boy scout. Geesh!!! You need a reality check.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:44 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Everyone no matter their political persuasion should be interested in whether or not Brett Kavanaugh is a liar...

Read these comments he made in his prep school yearbook featured in this article--
Note the one to the "Devi's Triangle"
Brett Kavanaugh's high school yearbook entry touts 'Keg City Club' membership, other references to beer drinking - NY Daily News

The woman who gave that yearbook to the attorney who is quoted did not want to have HER name revealed either when she turned it over--maybe it was her brother's, a husband's, maybe she knew someone who was a teacher---
As a teacher myself I often bought a copy of my school's yearbook...

The fact that Kavanaugh (and maybe others) made such comments--referring to illegal drinking and other activities --makes me think that was common culture in his environment and that the school authorities took little interest in even policing references to it in the yearbook

As someone who taught in the early 70s and then returned to teaching in late 90s-early 2000s--
In MOST public ISDs comments like Kavanaugh made would not be allowed by the 2000s...
Even if the behavior likely existed in the student body...

So if anyone has been reading recent stories about private schools and their own failures to police inappropriate behaviors on parts of their faculty abusing students and student to student...
Many schools just didn't want to expose the damaging behavior happening in its sphere
And still don't...

It is certainly possible for investigations to be done about past events even as long ago as this one because they have been done in other instances
Consider the investigations of child sex abuse among the Catholic diocese in the US---

It can be done
It MIGHT bring more questionable behavior to light
It MIGHT NOT--but saying that it is too hazy is just a cop out
Other women who were victimized might have much better memories and other evidence but for reasons like Ford's did not persue making their experiences known...
And frankly boys talk--boys brag--and I imagine Kavanaugh's follow preppies know more than they are saying about this...and his past behavior...

So he liked to drink beer? So do millions of other young men worldwide and not a few women.

The absurdity of the FBI pouring over silly things he wrote in his yearbook when he was 17 or 18 should be self-evident.

Keg City Club! The horror!

Well there ya go! You got your smoking gun! Keg City Club! Call Senator Feinstein now!

Keg City Club!

Old 09-19-2018, 11:45 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Because Hill offered more and recent evidence than this Ford woman. Ford has zero evidence of any of it, and never mentioned a single name ever in her life until July. Hill was working with Thomas for years.

I would be all for an investigation if there was one single bit of supporting evidence, other than a "she said", and she did not even say it, not until it was politically convenient for her views that is.
I think Kavanaugh with his yearbook (contemporaneous to that timeframe), his later comments about the motto of keeping silence about borderline illegal activities, and his friend Mark Judge's two books which include references to "Barf O'Kavanaugh" are evidence in THEIR own words that their behavior was not that of choir boys...
THEY incriminate themselves as committing behavior (under age heavy drinking -- to blackouts in Judge's admissions--for one) that often accompanies these types of sexual assaults...

I don't think I have read of a sexual assault at a teen or college age party that was not also part and parcel of very heavy drinking or other drug use--
Sometimes willingly on the part of the female, sometimes not...but always on the part of the males...
Since drinking USUALLY can be a facilitator in rendering females compliant and lowering behavior thresholds for males...
Activities they might not do if sober become much easier w/alcohol consumption--even if that is just an excuse to do what they want/intend and not a prerequisite...

Old 09-19-2018, 11:47 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
Kavanaugh would have turned 18 several months before graduating high school. No way to say there was "illegal drinking".
In some states 21 could be the legal age for drinking--especially 20 yrs ago

Old 09-19-2018, 11:50 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,213,236 times
if this was Clinton nominating a liberal judge to the Supreme court who supposedly did this 35 years ago - do you think this accuser would come forward ?

waiting for the bombshell made-up diary notes to appear last second...

Old 09-19-2018, 11:52 AM
miu

Quote:
Check. The. Motto.

They were an inclusive, elitest nucleus nest of WASPs
They "vowed" to protect their activities from common knowledge
Why would you think he or Judge or Kavanaugh would admit to being jerkoffs and worse in a situation like this
It would derail Kavanaugh's very plush life and theirs...

And I bet that the people he was buying and splitting those sports tickets with could be some of the very same people who were at that party...

Did he NAME the people he was buying/splitting those tickets with during testimony--
Or just use the ubiquitous "friend" lable?
So you are just jealous of WASPs??? My stepfather is WASP and yes, during his prep school years, he and his friends did drink a lot, and IMO in part to the loneliness of being away from his family. And he matured into a responsible adult who was respectful to all women and who never broke his word. He is a man of integrity and back in the late 1970's, well before Romneycare, he offered all of his employees at his small business of 5 furniture stores, health insurance coverage. And when he closed his business down, any customer with a store credit was paid back.

I think that you have a problem with jealousy of WASPs and having such a negative stereotype of them. You are very prejudiced and not being objective about these hearings.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:53 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Instead of the entire situation ending in a "he said/she said" come Monday, would it not be best for Kavanaugh to have the FBI investigate? If Kavanaugh is telling the truth, the FBI will be able to investigate and clear his name of any wrong doing.

Monday hearing - Ford & Kavanaugh both testify, "he said/she said." No real answers. Somebody is lying but we don't know who.

FBI investigates - a "formal investigation" is conducted, the FBI will be able to release an official report that clears Kavanaugh of any wrong doing.

There are two possible outcomes: Kavanaugh forever having a sexual assault hanging over his head on the Supreme Court with no definitive answers.....OR.....a formal FBI investigation that completely exonerates Kavanaugh of any wrongdoing and the Dems have nothing else to say.

WHICH WOULD TRUMP SUPPORTERS PREFER?
I prefer to know exactly what is going on and certainly have no issue about the FBI finding out exactly what is going on. Here is the ISSUE - what exactly can they investigate in view of the following???

Even the Washington Post wrote that Ford's letter and recall are different from the notes of the therapist.
I would bet money that the Therapist won't testify - she has to come up with something better than:

1). I don't know what year
2). I don't know what month
3). I don't know what date
4). I don't know how I got to the party
5). I don't know how I got home from the party
6). I don't know who was at the party -- except for that guy I don't want to be a Supreme Court Judge
7). I don't know where the party was

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1). I do know I immediately hired a high power Attorney - from D.C. not from my own city
2). I do know that it won't be allowed to ask me ANY questions about my background or Politics.
3). I do know these accusations are enough to destroy the reputation of a US Federal Judge
4). I do know these accusations are enough to stop a US Supreme Court Confirmation
5). I do know that everyone MUST believe ME - despite the above items, because I'm a Woman
6). I do know I was drinking and think I was 15.

Lord is refusing to tell her story under OATH after saying she welcomed that.
Her story continues to "change". Justice Kavanaugh won't have an "assault" hanging over him because the woman told a Fairy Tale to the press and she won't even show up in person.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:57 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I might have agreed if they had proceeded without offering to hear testimony from her but if she doesn't show up to testify after all the demands to be heard then it is the Dems that will be on the losing end. The left will be the left, and the right will be the right, this is all a play for the middle. My sense is that they knew from the start that the Dems were desperate to delay this vote but given the seriousness of the charges that it was worth a small delay to hear her story. Now my sense is they are becoming convinced that it is all about delay tactics and she will never subject herself to questions under oath.
Not to mention that the Democrats on the Judicial Committee hid all this "urgent matter" since July.
That fact alone is just about an admission that this is nothing more than a Political Stunt, much like the way they PAID protestors to turn the hearing into an embarrassing (for them) Circus.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:00 PM
miu

Is that therapist allowed to testify?? And for what purpose?

1. Client-doctor confidentiality.
2. It's hearsay.
3. It's hearsay and told 30 years afterwards.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:03 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
In some states 21 could be the legal age for drinking--especially 20 yrs ago
Yea let's start busting people for underage drinking 35 years after the fact.

I guess you never sipped any booze before turning 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies