Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 09:14 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
She’s going to testify. Start panicking.
This entire episode is nothing but a big left wing panic, a last ditch hail Mary to stop the inevitable.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:15 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
There was opinion piece in the WaPo a day or so ago suggesting that a classmate of Kavanaugh who resembled him might have been the real assaulted of Ford and she confused this "look alike" for Kavanaugh. Now two guys who are friends of Kavanaugh are taking that Hail-Mary pass and trying to run a defence for him...one is named Ed Wheland--was former clerk for Judge Scalia and has been helping prep Kavanaugh for these hearings and he is friend of Kavanaugh to boot as well as close friend of Leonard Le, the head of the Federalist Society who constructed the list Trump used to choose his pick for the Supreme Court...

Wheland even put out a blueprint of a house where it might have happened and a photo/name of a classmate of Kavanaugh's as the guy they think is the one who probably assaulted Ford and she just confused him with Kananaugh because Kavanaugh was so well know at Georgetown Prep

The only problem is that Ford answered that canard and said she knew both the boys (now men) at that time, socialized with them--and she would never confuse the two...
So she definitively dismisses that deflection by Wheland...

Now this guy who went to school with Kavanaugh---has been Suggested as the likely sexual assaulted of Dr. Ford instead of Kavanaugh--
He apparently is a middle school teacher--likely his name is making the rounds of all the alt-right conspiracy websites and he will be getting all kinds of hate mail threatening him to confess to this crime and get Kavanaugh off...

That seems to be a libelous action on the part of Wheland to defame an innocent man...
Then it would seem he, and Ford are two peas in a pod.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:19 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They are hoping she doesn’t appear, they do not want this optic.
Like Trump they are between a rock and a hard place.
They are losing female voters (and men w/consciences) right and left
Kavanaugh's popularity among voters to be approved has dropped to the lowest rating in recent memory
The PUBLIC does not want him to be on the Supreme Court
So the GOP runs the risk of really shooting themselves in the foot if they make this senario any worse by ignoring Ford's requests or seeming to strong-arm her testimony

They also run the risk of losing the opportunity to have a totally conservative justice if they delay and lost the election on the House and Senate side
That is the risk they run now I think--losing the Senate
And they know it

Using a female attorney to question the woman accusing Kavanaugh is just a flawed decision IMO
A woman isn't necessarily the BETTER choice--
The better choice would be to have a FEMALE GOP member of the Judiciary committee--
I don't know there has ever been one---has there?
There were ALL white men on both sides when Anita Hill was questioned
The Dems group reflects more the modernization of American society
The GOP group shows the recalcitrant policies and thinking of the GOP itself---all men many old; and all still white...
It is just terrible optics...but it isn't just OPTICS--a meaningless visual--it is reality of a philosophy that is insular, isolating, mysogynistic...

Old 09-20-2018, 09:21 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
She is the one that started this why must their be "agreed upon terms"? I would think all she wants is a chance to tell her story, maybe she is waiting to confirm the book deal....

It's a stalling tactic. She has no intention of testifying and taking questions because there are too many holes in her story. They hope to delay a week to negotiate "terms" and when that has played out she will declare they could not come to agreement. By then they will have thought up some new excuse to delay. They are quite literally counting days, trying to run out the clock.

Unfortunately for them, everyone sees through it and the GOP will not allow them to run out the clock no matter what.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
They can find out things about you that you never imagined they could. They did find out I was accused of stealing a tennis racquet when I was 16 when they background checked me at 34. What made it so remarkable was the fact that it wasn’t like I was suspected of stealing this from a store I was one of a few suspects checked at a camp I worked at when a camper reported an expensive racquet stolen. The inquiry was all of 2-3 minutes and I totally had forgotten about it probably within a year but somehow they found out about it close to 20 years after

And yet, 6 previous FBI investigations of Kavanaugh, that were undoubtedly more intense than yours, have failed to turn up these allegations.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:23 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,093,243 times
Quote:
Like Trump they are between a rock and a hard place.
They are losing female voters (and men w/consciences) right and left
Kavanaugh's popularity among voters to be approved has dropped to the lowest rating in recent memory
The PUBLIC does not want him to be on the Supreme Court
So the GOP runs the risk of really shooting themselves in the foot if they make this senario any worse by ignoring Ford's requests or seeming to strong-arm her testimony

They also run the risk of losing the opportunity to have a totally conservative justice if they delay and lost the election on the House and Senate side
That is the risk they run now I think--losing the Senate
And they know it

Using a female attorney to question the woman accusing Kavanaugh is just a flawed decision IMO
A woman isn't necessarily the BETTER choice--
The better choice would be to have a FEMALE GOP member of the Judiciary committee--
I don't know there has ever been one---has there?
There were ALL white men on both sides when Anita Hill was questioned
The Dems group reflects more the modernization of American society
The GOP group shows the recalcitrant policies and thinking of the GOP itself---all men many old; and all still white...
It is just terrible optics...but it isn't just OPTICS--a meaningless visual--it is reality of a philosophy that is insular, isolating, mysogynistic...

Losing female voters and men of conscience?

Since when do female voters and “men of conscience” not believe in due process?

Old 09-20-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Laurence Tribe
Laurence Tribe
@tribelaw
OPEN CHALLENGE TO JUDGE BRETT KAVANAUGH:

Brett, if you’re really chomping at the bit to testify that you’re innocent, then insist that Trump & Grassley tell FBI to REOPEN its BACKGROUND CHECK to learn all it can about what happened at that party — and then TESTIFY UNDER OATH

Nope. Not playing your games any longer. Your leftist desperation is showing. Now the time has come for you to lose.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:24 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
The fact that the GOP senators apparently are looking for a FEMALE litigator (not legislator the way I read the headline) to actually front for them and ask Ford questions they want answered is pretty telling...
It tells me they're not complete morons. She's a liar, and they want a professional to demonstrate it.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:26 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Friedman: "My favorite part..."
My favorite part is that people like Brandon Friedman have self-outed as anti-white Christian bigots. They just can't seem to help themselves.

Paul Krugman is another example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASirQL7DrvQ

Old 09-20-2018, 09:28 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Then it would seem he, and Ford are two peas in a pod.
No----a guy who wasn't there, but is a friend of Kavanaugh's, with a vested interest in having him approved takes an idea fronted in a WaPo opinion piece w/o any factual basis or first-hand experience--and suggests someone who is a real person, who was a classmate of Kavanaugh's (how do you think he go THAT name), likely whom Wheland has never even met, and throws that guy's name out as the REAL guy in that room assaulting Dr. Ford...
Whereas Ford WAS in that room, knows BOTH men and definitively says that Kavanaugh was the guy trying to ripe her clothes off and rape her...

Not two peas in a pod at all...
But seems like Kavanaugh has friends who are certainly willing to lie for him and defame other men just to protect Brett's chance at being SCOTUS---and what do you want to bet that Kavanaugh maybe provided the name of the guy who most resembled him in Georgetown Prep...so not only did he try to rape Dr. Ford but now he is maybe screwing over a fellow classmate--
There must be a LOT riding on seeing Brett sit on that bench
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies