Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 02:21 PM

18,725 posts, read 7,604,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
And Republicans would not even hold hearings for Merrick Garland. If they hadn't decided to vote against anyone Democrats nominated, why did they refuse to even have a hearing?
Already discussed and explained. Please try to keep up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
And after seeing the shrieking and caterwauling of Democrats in these hearings, it's clear why the Republicans decided to not hold hearings a few years ago.

They called it correctly. Democrats clearly don't want any kind of reasonable discussion over Supreme Court justices. They only want to yell and scream, throw their temper tantrums, and keep doing it until the adults give up and give them what they want. Since they can't get their big-govt liberalism by any constitutional method.
Actually, I looked back at what I had written on this subject, and saw that I had made my post specifically in reply to YOUR post. And now I see you didn't even bother reading it, though you had asked the question.

You're providing an excellent example of why it was useless for Republicans to hold hearings on Garland a few years back. Hysterical leftist persons such as yourself don't listen, don't read, and don't think - they merely keep repeating the same long-debunked ideas, hoping somebody will believe them somehow.

Thank you for answering your own complaint. People like you are the reason why hearings on Garland were defeated.

Keep up the good work!

Old 09-05-2018, 02:22 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
I suppose this will be considered a very controversial post, but... Obviously, women are in a panic about their "reproductive rights." That said, whether you're for or against abortion, is there really any reason today why it should be anything but a very rare occurrence? There IS birth control, and it IS 99.9% effective when used properly, not to even mention abstinence.

Have people come to "lazily" rely on abortion to control the number of children they produce when less dangerous, invasive, expensive, and (in some people's view) immoral options are readily available?

Old 09-05-2018, 02:26 PM

12,040 posts, read 6,567,177 times
LOL
Not one sentence on CNN this evening regarding all the anarchy caused at the hearing by democrats today, the second day.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:31 PM

P.S. Even more screaming and disruption erupted again in the hearing chamber, five minutes ago.

The Democrats are plainly determined to keep deflecting, disrupting, and destroying the hearings, without end. Until their tantrums are so obnoxious that adults give up and give them what they want.

Oops, and more Democrat screaming came out as I typed this. Again.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:31 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times
Kavanaugh is showing the people asking questions they are clueless. They are trying to trip him up. They are failing.. Kavanaugh will be in very soon.
And those paid protestors, laughable.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:32 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
LOL
Not one sentence on CNN this evening regarding all the anarchy caused at the hearing by democrats today, the second day.
It's probably Jim Acosta and his staff doing the yelling like they do in Presidential news conferences. I thought I heard Jim asking Kavanaugh a few questions from the back of the room.

You know, just normal CNN reporting.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
LOL
Maybe because none of the "unbiased" reporters for CNN, were at their desks to report on it? They were all over in the hearing room, shrieking and screaming.

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Already discussed and explained. Please try to keep up.

Actually, I looked back at what I had written on this subject, and saw that I had made my post specifically in reply to YOUR post. And now I see you didn't even bother reading it, though you had asked the question.

You're providing an excellent example of why it was useless for Republicans to hold hearings on Garland a few years back. Hysterical leftist persons such as yourself don't listen, don't read, and don't think - they merely keep repeating the same long-debunked ideas, hoping somebody will believe them somehow.

Thank you for answering your own complaint. People like you are the reason why hearings on Garland were defeated.

Keep up the good work!
That was not an answer. I said show in the constitution where Mitch McConnell's actions were addressed. Saying his hearings were "defeated" is not an answer. In fact Orrin Hatch was a huge fan of Merrick Garland and said Obama would never nominate someone like that. Guess what? Obama did. And what happens? No hearings.

"But Hatch has also been a long-time advocate for Merrick Garland, who President Obama will nominate to the Supreme Court on Wednesday. In 2010, when he was considered for the slot that ultimately went to Elena Kagan, Hatch said that he had known Garland for years. He added that, if nominated, he would be a “consensus nominee” and that there was “no question” he would be confirmed."

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/1316...-supreme-court

It doesn't matter. Obama nominated someone the Republicans suggested and Republicans have twisted the process into a nasty nasty fight that will never go back normal order again. Which means in the future, Democrats should choose the most extreme and with no transparency. Obama treated Republicans so much better than they deserved to be treated. That mistake will definitely not be repeated.

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
AGAIN. SHOW IN THE CONSTITUTION WHERE IT SAYS THE SENATE SHOULD REFUSE TO HAVE HEARINGS FOR A SCJ IN THE PRESIDENT'S LAST YEAR IN OFFICE.

Don't pretend to be the party that follows the constitution, then hide behind a remark made by one person almost twenty years ago and never acted on.

It's not in the constitution, it never was. It was nothing more than political gaming that created an atmosphere filled with anger over the appointment of Supreme Court Justices.

The nasty level of that political gaming was made clear when Kavanaugh snarkily mentioned Merrick Garland in his introductory speech.
That comment was made in 2007 --
NOWHERE CLOSE TO 20 years ago.
Biden started the precedent -- DEAL . WITH . IT

Old 09-05-2018, 02:43 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
That comment was made in 2007 --
NOWHERE CLOSE TO 20 years ago.
Biden started the precedent -- DEAL . WITH . IT
There is no precedent. Biden said it in a speech in 1992! Ridiculous and Republicans know it, they aren't fooling anyone. =
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies