Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 09:40 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While I remain skeptical of these allegations (for reasons I mentioned earlier regarding Dr. Ford's allegations and now these new allegations are rather convenient), but it does look like Kavanaugh is finished, fair or not. I don't see him being confirmed with multiple allegations against him (of course, we still need to see what these new allegations are about).

Ironically enough (and, let's be clear, Diane Feinstein made a calculated, political decision to hold off on releasing the letter from Dr. Ford until now, when she's had the letter for MONTHS), the Dems attempt at playing politics will ensure that the Supreme Court remains a campaign issue during the November election. I expect a new nominee in the coming weeks and a confirmation vote a couple of weeks after election date.

Note, if Kavanaugh withdraws, I'd also expect him to resign his seat on the Court of Appeals (or at least take senior status), which would open up another seat for POTUS to fill.

Second note, if Dems try these tactics again for the next nominee, it'll look like even more of a farce that will go a long way to discrediting actual victims of sexual assault.

Third note: I fully expect POTUS to nominate Amy Coney Barrett (my first choice) once Kavanaugh withdraws. This will be a delicious comeback at the disgraceful tactics by the left.
Why should he resign from anything if all he has are allegations against him? That's just downright foolish...

If the council decides he is not guilty, and he decides to back down or is withdrawn from SCOTUS selection due to poor optics, it will set a dangerous precedent that democrats will surely exploit from here on out. This abuse of power by the democrats needs to be stopped, even if that means enduring a nasty smear war.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:44 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9
Yeah, you're telling us that the Congresswoman revealed Ford's name to Feinstein and that either the Congresswoman or Feinstein revealed her name to others.
Hmmmm..who[m] do we know that receives stolen documents??
No one.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:44 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
1. I never heard of Roy Moore's "accuser", whatever that's supposed to mean, and I never heard of any press conferences, and your comment is unbelievably silly in that it doesn't explain why that press conference is supposed to have been politically motivated.

2. She hasn't "blown up" her life".

3. The fact that you can't distinguish between cases on any grounds other than politics is not something you can correctly project onto everyone else. I apply strict epistemological scrutiny to all claims regardless of the political dynamics.

And the evident truth in this case is that the claim by Ford is entirely politically motivated.

1--Google is your friend
2--it is not for you or anyone to decide if Dr. Ford has "blown up"" her life...that is something she and her family alone decide
3--your epistemological scrutiny is hooie
4--your opinion like mine is just that--an opinion and truth is an empirical assessment
Right now people have OPINIONS about what the truth is in this case
But none of US on CityData know the truth--we only know what we FEEL is the truth...
You can claim to hold the truth but again--that is only YOUR opinion...

Old 09-23-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
1--Google is your friend
2--it is not for you or anyone to decide if Dr. Ford has "blown up"" her life...that is something she and her family alone decide
3--your epistemological scrutiny is hooie
4--your opinion like mine is just that--an opinion and truth is an empirical assessment
Right now people have OPINIONS about what the truth is in this case
But none of US on CityData know the truth--we only know what we FEEL is the truth...
You can claim to hold the truth but again--that is only YOUR opinion...
1. Google is irrelevant to what I do or don't know.

2. Someone claimed she blew up her life. Good to know you agree with me that that person is FOS.

3. No, I'm about the best there is at sorting truth from falsehood.

4. I am not God; I am not omniscient. Her allegations bear the hallmarks of a lie, and it is wrong to treat them as anything else.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:58 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
More women starting to come out with more issues with Kavanagh. Reports out that he exposed his Johnson to a woman. Avenati (Stormy lawyer) says he has some clients who want to get involved.

Looks like he has lied again.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0375f8f9e41f5

Old 09-23-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
In Maryland there is no statute of limitations for felony sexual offense or misdemeanor punished by
imprisonment in a penitentiary
Md. Code, Cts. & Jud. Proc. §§ 5-106, 117
Re-read the post you're responding to. I didn't say there was a limitations period for felonies. And how would "felonies" or that statute be relevant, anyway? The alleged crime was not committed today.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:05 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,800,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Who will then be smeared and slandered by the Democrats at least twice as bad as this one has been. So if the Republicans cannot stand up to this situation, what makes you think they will then successfully stand up to an even more difficult situation next time around?

With that in mind, why would it be a good idea to give up on this nomination?
It is not a very good argument that this one should be confirmed because the next will be worse.

Some judges are not like BK.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:07 PM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Re-read the post you're responding to. I didn't say there was a limitations period for felonies. And how would "felonies" or that statute be relevant, anyway? The alleged crime was not committed today.
I heard that Judge kavanaugh exposed himself several times to his Nanny when he was 6 months old while she changed his diaper.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:08 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,800,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
If he "has the goods" why would he have waited this long to mention it? Only when Ford's claims are on the verge of falling apart. I think the desperate liberals are getting their disciples to just flat out make stuff up now.

Meanwhile, we are still waiting to see any actual "evidence" from anyone.
Women are always told they make these things up.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
In Maryland there is no statute of limitations for felony sexual offense or misdemeanor punished by
imprisonment in a penitentiary
Md. Code, Cts. & Jud. Proc. §§ 5-106, 117
How would that statute be relevant,? The alleged crime was not committed today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies