Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 03:01 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I still haven't told anyone who it was and it's been right about 35 years.

But, I have mentioned that it happened. To close friends, my college counselor, etc.

Mainly, I've mentioned it to help someone else who was having a hard time after a similar event. It's good to know you're not alone in a situation like that and that other people have experienced terrible stuff and gotten through it.

Plenty of women try to tell someone right away and it only gets them blamed for having it happen to them.

Which is really screwed up, when you think about it.

In my case, I knew it would be damaging to other people who I did care about, so I kept quiet about it.

I'd surely tell them if the guy was about to gain such a position of power, though.
What were the circumstances and were you at a party where everyone was ****faced, puke on your shoes drunk? Not to mention that the definition of "sexual assault" has legally changed over the last 35 years. Even in this thread a couple people have morphed the accusation into rape, which has now, and always has had, a very specific legal definition in Maryland.

Societal norms have also changed so what was considered more or less normal behavior 35 years ago is now considered assault. That cuts across all manner of behaviors from the serious to the mundane.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:02 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Its like you completely ignored what I said. Whats stopping her from filing the police report today, yesterday, last week, last month, two months ago?
I don't know why she chose to handle it the way she did. Maybe she'll file one now. Who knows?

Old 09-24-2018, 03:04 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I don't know why she chose to handle it the way she did. Maybe she'll file one now. Who knows?
I'm willing to bet money she wont, and she has zero reason not to now, heck the only thing it will do is make her case stronger, but nope, no police report. Unless I'm missing some legal aspect here, its very questionable to me.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:08 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Asking for an FBI investigation makes me a leftist?

BTW, it IS the FBI's jurisdiction to do a background check on SCOTUS nominees. It's federal jurisdiction.

Constitution 101.

Where is the FBI mentioned in the Constitution? I see where, in Article II, Section 2, second paragraph, some Presidential appointments must be with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, but the FBI is not mentioned anywhere in the text of the document (which figures, since the agency did not exist when the document was written).
As somebody mentioned, "Constitution 101". Begin by reading it!

I have read that BK has had something like 6 FBI full background checks done already. Why do you think another one will find anything?

Old 09-24-2018, 03:11 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoplfrVLBJo

Old 09-24-2018, 03:12 PM

88,966 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Then again, why not a full investigation?
You tell us. Why have NONE of these women filed police reports detailing their allegations of sexual abuse?

Old 09-24-2018, 03:12 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
Quote:
I still haven't told anyone who it was and it's been right about 35 years.

But, I have mentioned that it happened. To close friends, my college counselor, etc.

Mainly, I've mentioned it to help someone else who was having a hard time after a similar event. It's good to know you're not alone in a situation like that and that other people have experienced terrible stuff and gotten through it.

Plenty of women try to tell someone right away and it only gets them blamed for having it happen to them.

Which is really screwed up, when you think about it.

In my case, I knew it would be damaging to other people who I did care about, so I kept quiet about it.

I'd surely tell them if the guy was about to gain such a position of power, though.
But would you wait until the 11th hour after the guy has been vetted and almost to the point being hired? Or would you speak up while, or just before, the vetting process started? This last minute BS without any proof, is totally bogus. The guy who shot up the republican baseball practice didn't have this much reason to do what he did. What are the Democrats trying to do?

Old 09-24-2018, 03:15 PM

717 posts, read 452,409 times
Quote:
Some of the very few women I know who went through all that did it when they had a father who molested them and they also had sisters who were in danger of being molested.

Most women who are molested or raped by people outside their families avoid the person who did it and avoid letting anyone know they were raped or molested.

People treat you differently once they find out and not in a good way.

I did have a college roommate whose dad molested her for years. Used to make her perform sex acts on him before she was allowed to go out on dates.

She finally told her therapist when she thought he was about to do it to her younger sister. He fled the country and her mother didn't believe her.

He eventually returned and confessed. He'd already gotten to one of the younger sisters, but not the youngest. The mom felt pretty stupid and it screwed up her whole family.

I am floored at moms who don't believe their daughters.

If moms can think their daughters are lying, imagine what strangers think.
I think these things are horrific without question but this guy has been a Federal judge for 12 years and why was his morality not checked all those years ago? I agree there should be no statute of limitations on sexual assault investigations, but the weight of the evidence should be compromised when the allegations go back to 1982 and no record of attempts to address those allegations were made on any record since. Doesn’t mean it’s over but it means you need to have an extremely compelling case for what happened throughout those 36 years and where were you when he first became a Federal Judge?

What adversities can you substantiate and point to from this? What people have you spoken to about it? Who else was there?

Old 09-24-2018, 03:17 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
What this means is that Jeff Flake has apparently committed to vote Kavanaugh's nomination out of committee and we will see this Supreme Court Justice confirmation vote conducted on the floor of the Senate very soon.

If either Collins or Murkowski also votes yes (I believe they both likely will), then Brett Kavanaugh is on his way to a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:18 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Some of the very few women I know who went through all that did it when they had a father who molested them and they also had sisters who were in danger of being molested.

Most women who are molested or raped by people outside their families avoid the person who did it and avoid letting anyone know they were raped or molested.

People treat you differently once they find out and not in a good way.

I did have a college roommate whose dad molested her for years. Used to make her perform sex acts on him before she was allowed to go out on dates.

She finally told her therapist when she thought he was about to do it to her younger sister. He fled the country and her mother didn't believe her.

He eventually returned and confessed. He'd already gotten to one of the younger sisters, but not the youngest. The mom felt pretty stupid and it screwed up her whole family.

I am floored at moms who don't believe their daughters.

If moms can think their daughters are lying, imagine what strangers think.
If you want to know where most of the name calling came from that my sister endured: It was her own mother. (my bio mom) But she still went through it, and she still came out with that pos going to prison. So WHAT if someone doesn't believe you. Go to the police, let them do their job. The sooner you report it, the better the chance of getting evidence to catch the person.

Three decades later is too late, and when it's thrown at the very end of a confirmation hearing, is it any wonder that people are doubting this person and her story? PLUS that she can't provide much information, PLUS that none of her witnesses corroborate her story, PLUS she kept making up excuses not to testify and got very demanding.

If you had the chance to tell your story to prevent someone from gaining a position of power, would you then start making demands about how everything will be done, or would you just go and tell your damn story already?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies