Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 04:27 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,390,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I just saw a clip of a Kavanaugh interview (maybe they play the entire thing tonight) in which he said he looks forward to the opportunity to defend his integrity. He looked as if he was fighting not to cry.

I feel sorry for him, his wife, and his kids. He has been crucified in the liberal media, and people are already calling him a rapist.

If he is forced out, the Democrats will double down on this type of behavior for the next nominee, unless we go with a) a woman, and b) a moderate likely to serve as a swing vote. It makes me all the more determined that we seat a conservative.
I too felt a hint of sympathy, for a split second. Then thought about that fact that he knows full well his nomination is based on a humbug.

He’s fully aware that Merrick Garland was duped (not that its his fault), and that he’s being fast tracked for two reasons: 1) to serve as DT’s get out of jail free card (to which Kavanaugh would feel beholden) and 2) to swing the SC’s political and ideological leanings sharply to the right.

If this were a crime Kavanaugh may not be considered a criminal, but certainly an accomplice and willing participant. That to me is just as bad; he’s complicit in the lunacy because it benefits him.

Maybe he’ll put on a Golden Globe worthy performance and make me a little misty, but as of now nope... barely any sympathy on my end.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:27 PM

58,736 posts, read 27,080,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Mark Judge's book "Wasted" talks about a drunken “Bart O’Kavanaugh" vomiting and passing out in his car.

https://theintercept.com/2018/09/22/...ett-kavanaugh/

"graduated from Catholic University, he attended the rehearsal dinner..."

Which has NOTHING to do with Kavanaugh in HIGH SCHOOL.

I know very FEW people who DIDN'T do this at least ONCE on college.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:28 PM

30,562 posts, read 18,055,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While I remain skeptical of these allegations (for reasons I mentioned earlier regarding Dr. Ford's allegations and now these new allegations are rather convenient), but it does look like Kavanaugh is finished, fair or not. I don't see him being confirmed with multiple allegations against him (of course, we still need to see what these new allegations are about).

Ironically enough (and, let's be clear, Diane Feinstein made a calculated, political decision to hold off on releasing the letter from Dr. Ford until now, when she's had the letter for MONTHS), the Dems attempt at playing politics will ensure that the Supreme Court remains a campaign issue during the November election. I expect a new nominee in the coming weeks and a confirmation vote a couple of weeks after election date.

Note, if Kavanaugh withdraws, I'd also expect him to resign his seat on the Court of Appeals (or at least take senior status), which would open up another seat for POTUS to fill.

Second note, if Dems try these tactics again for the next nominee, it'll look like even more of a farce that will go a long way to discrediting actual victims of sexual assault.

Third note: I fully expect POTUS to nominate Amy Coney Barrett (my first choice) once Kavanaugh withdraws. This will be a delicious comeback at the disgraceful tactics by the left.
I have to take back what I wrote. It seems that this new "allegation" is even more outrageous that the first:

Quote:
Timeline:
•She didn't know who it was for 35 years
•Kavanaugh was nominated
•She met with Dem lawyer for 6 days to "assess her memories"
•Accused Kavanaugh
•She still isn't even sure it was him
•All the witnesses deny it
•Kavanaugh denies it
•Other outlets passed on story
Critics condemn New Yorker over uncorroborated Kavanaugh story: 'Lazy at best, slimy at worst' | Fox News

Old 09-24-2018, 04:29 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,160,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
What does this have to do with Kavanaugh's confirmation to the Supreme Court? You are hjacking the thread with this stuff.
An enormous amount of this confirmation discussion hinges on whether or not it molested someone.

Or more than one person.

And a lot of people are just ignoring this woman without any sort of hearing. I'm sorry if you have a reality problem, but I would like this to be fair.

I am okay with them confirming someone whose stances I dislike. I'm not okay with them confirming a man who molested people.

Why's that so hard to understand?

I'm not part of either of these stupid political parties.

I'm a concerned citizen.

Period.

What about this do you want to discuss, how fast it can be pushed through and how quickly any allegations can be ignored?

Old 09-24-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What were the circumstances and were you at a party where everyone was ****faced, puke on your shoes drunk? Not to mention that the definition of "sexual assault" has legally changed over the last 35 years. Even in this thread a couple people have morphed the accusation into rape, which has now, and always has had, a very specific legal definition in Maryland.

Societal norms have also changed so what was considered more or less normal behavior 35 years ago is now considered assault. That cuts across all manner of behaviors from the serious to the mundane.
No. I was at home. Nobody was drinking, to my knowledge.

I don't think that drinking means someone gets to molest you, however.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
But would you wait until the 11th hour after the guy has been vetted and almost to the point being hired? Or would you speak up while, or just before, the vetting process started? This last minute BS without any proof, is totally bogus. The guy who shot up the republican baseball practice didn't have this much reason to do what he did. What are the Democrats trying to do?
Why'd Al Franken's accuser wait so long after he'd spent so much time in the Senate? I'm JUST SAYING.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:31 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
because if she walks into the police station and tells them her story - with no evidence, complete lack of details, no witnesses, etc - AND tells them it was 35 years ago, they are going to tell her to stop wasting their time
And there you have it...

Old 09-24-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberiaboy View Post
I think these things are horrific without question but this guy has been a Federal judge for 12 years and why was his morality not checked all those years ago? I agree there should be no statute of limitations on sexual assault investigations, but the weight of the evidence should be compromised when the allegations go back to 1982 and no record of attempts to address those allegations were made on any record since. Doesn’t mean it’s over but it means you need to have an extremely compelling case for what happened throughout those 36 years and where were you when he first became a Federal Judge?

What adversities can you substantiate and point to from this? What people have you spoken to about it? Who else was there?
Maybe she was across the country, not caring about the courts he presided over... the SCOTUS, however, is a biggie.

I don't know. I'm not her.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
What this means is that Jeff Flake has apparently committed to vote Kavanaugh's nomination out of committee and we will see this Supreme Court Justice confirmation vote conducted on the floor of the Senate very soon.

If either Collins or Murkowski also votes yes (I believe they both likely will), then Brett Kavanaugh is on his way to a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.
Yay?

I mean... that's what you think, right? No matter what he did.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
NOPE. otherwise you need to free the tens of thousands of people convicted of crimes as a 17 year old but tried as adults???

So what is it Jimi? Are you up for freeing everyone who committed crimes under lets say what? 21? 25? where is your line? under 18?

shall we free all people who committed crimes under 18???? or just the rich white conservative men ?
You realize we're discussing a person who's at this point in time is NOT guilty of anything and has NEVER been convicted of, or even accused of anything until now?

Of COURSE you do but actually answering the questions HONESTLY doesn't fit the narrative...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies