Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 10:09 AM

27,425 posts, read 28,498,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Chatterboxx- View Post
It has never been ‘right’ or ‘okay’ to assault another person in the last century, either according to law or social norms.
Back in the 80s, if you were a teenage boy, there was some peer pressure to get a girl drunk so you could get laid.

I don't think that would be acceptable today.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:10 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,388,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I think great care must be taken when you are looking through the cultural lens of today and passing judgement on people’s character based on behavior during a time with different cultural mores. The very cultural differences that made Christine Blasey Ford unlikely to have reported the type of assault she claiming in 1982 compared to a 15 year-old girl today is the cultural difference that would have made the type assault she describes appear more socially acceptable to 17 year old boy then than it would to one today. During that time movies aimed at teenagers glorified kissing a girl against her will, implying she really wanted it but was just playing coy. Of course, it wasn’t right and there were plenty of young males who would never dream of engaging in such activity, but still it was to some degree considered normal behavior. There were no “no means no” lectures back then, instead there were lectures that “good girls don’t put themselves in such situations” or lectures about how important it was not to send out mixed messages.

You can think something is wrong, and it be behavior you would never engage in, without thinking someone who does ought to be punished, chastised, or ostracized. I think abortion is wrong but I would never support punishing, chastising, or ostracizing someone who chooses that option. If it were to become illegal in the future (which I do not want, just to be clear) I definitely would not want medical professionals or women held accountable for choices that were allowed and acceptable today.
Very good point. Unless it was because of rape or because of health/safety concerns for her body, I disagree with a woman getting an abortion.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:11 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,796,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
OK, she passed a polygraph exam. So?
What questions were asked?
Was the examiner experienced in conducting such exams?
She is a psychologist. Do you honestly believe she doesn't have the knowledge to pass the exam regardless of the questions asked? Especially if she KNOWS she is right? For example, if she was asked "Did the incident as you described it actually occur?" and she answers "YES!", since she really believes her memories of the incident are accurate, the "lie detector" will show that as a true statement, even if it is a blatant lie.

Passing the polygraph exam doesn't impress me in any way.
Especially one administered in her own lawyer's office.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:11 AM

20,112 posts, read 16,089,167 times
Quote:
It has never been ‘right’ or ‘okay’ to assault another person in the last century, either according to law or social norms. Of course it has always been frowned upon, or else that sort of thing would have taken place in the wide open public rather than in a private setting. Assault is assault is assault.
How old were you in 1982? I was teaching teenagers. What she described would not have been seen as assault back then, and maybe that is where the disconnect is when discussing this. Even covering her mouth would have been considered “horseplay” by their peers. No, it wasn’t right, but many during that time would not have seen it as wrong.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:12 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,830,521 times
Quote:
There are clips out there of people interviewed saying that it is, not to mention plenty of internet rhetoric defending this sort of thing like it’s normal behavior.
Post the links to the clips you have seen doing so. Please.

4,345 posts, read 2,779,430 times
Neither of these complainants has any evidence or witnesses to back them up. Neither has even gotten her story straight even though both have had months to do it.

Any person can appear creditable. That's not sufficient to warrant an investigation. Especially when the target of the investigation has been investigated before and found spotless.

This Ford person tipped her had when she alluded to a kid from a HS for privileged boys. i.e., one of the acceptable categories of people to target these days.

17,077 posts, read 13,316,143 times
There is little doubt in my mind that if a vote happens this week, Kavanaugh will be seated. The GOP won't take a chance on another nominee this close to the midterms. It's too risky.

10,513 posts, read 5,142,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The voters chose Hillary by a margin of 2.9 million votes. Trump was installed by the Electoral College.
All I did was make a statement of fact and it triggered several defensive responses from Trump supporters.

I fully accept that Trump was legitimately installed by the Electoral College despite losing the total national popular vote. Why can't Trump supporters admit he lost the popular vote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonburgher
For the record, the electoral college is brilliant, and it serves the entire nation well, even if New York and Cali do not get to tell the rest of us how to live all the time.
Texas alone generated nearly 3.9 million votes for Hillary, more than her margin of "victory." So California and New York isn't the only reason Clinton won the popular vote, that's a silly Fox News myth. All 50 states contributed to her vote totals.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:13 AM

20,112 posts, read 16,089,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Back in the 80s, if you were a teenage boy, there was some peer pressure to get a girl drunk so you could get laid.

I don't think that would be acceptable today.
Exactly. It shouldn't have been acceptable then, but it was.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:13 AM

30,227 posts, read 23,643,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I've learned it's not the truth that matters, it's what is perceived to be the truth that matters... and the media is doing everything they can so your perception is he's guilty. Don't let them manipulate you especially without evidence.

Think about it, still not a shred of evidence on Russian collusion but the media and politicians work hard to convince you that Trump is guilty "without any evidence". Come on people, I thought you were smart enough to know when you're being manipulated.

Damn, it feels like we are living in the Salem Witch Hunt era.
Learned that one a loooooooooooooong time ago. I've been telling people for a very long time, maybe even on this forum: "Perception is NOT reality". I fight against that mindset constantly, for many reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annino View Post
So in your world, anytime a woman has a complaint against a guy, he needs to have a polygraph to clear himself? Wow. You must own stock in a polygraph co. They would sure be busy.

You really don’t see how ludicrous that thought is, do you? Do you at least acknowledge that there would be a certain number of women who would wield that like a hammer against any man they disliked, knowing that just making an accusation would result in any guy being treated like a criminal.

I guess you don’t believe in innocent until proven guilty.

Why don’t we just castrate any guy suspected of inappropriate behavior? Now, I say that with obvious sarcasm, but I know their are women here who would actually support that position.

Att. WOMEN.

When this whole sexual witch hunt backfires on you, and it will, you will have set back women’s rights like no man ever could. I already know of a company that has changed some of it’s physical requirements for warehouse workers, mainly increasing the minimum weight that any new hire must lift to be considered for employment. The reason being given is one of safety, making sure new workers are physically able to do the job without injury. The real reason is to make it harder for women to qualify for the job. In a predominantly male environment, if a complaint was made every time a guy cursed, or told a dirty joke that some women overheard, or, god forbid, looked at a women in a way she thought violated her, the there would be no work being done.

This company will succeed in reducing the number of women in its warehouse. I applaud them������.
Women are seen, in the current climate, as too risky to hire. No company wants to spend their time and money in constant legal proceedings, or lose good employees just because any woman can just make an accusation and a guy will get fired.

Hey Girls, you are the ones who will be affecting future employment opportunities for yourselves. You disgrace the memories of the strong, independent woman who fought for women’s rights before you, who just wanted fair treatment, and earned their progress with hard work and smart leadership. They didn’t start crying hysterically if a guy gave them a compliment, or asked them out for coffee.

Keep up the good work, you deserve all that’s coming to you.
Chill out, dude. Not all of us are feminazi idiots, and no we do not all deserve it.

Nonetheless, the type of behavior we have seen from the most vocal females who run to the press over every sleight is exactly why I prefer to work from home. I've worked around mostly males, and I've worked around mostly females. There was way less drama working with mostly males than with females.

But they won't lose all of the office jobs. They can be relegated to the entry level Customer Service Rep jobs that are typically dominated by females - there they can attack each other - and believe me, they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies