Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 11:21 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Apparently, something similar was going on down the street at all girls school Holton Arms.

Why don't we refer to that as toxic femininity?
Maybe it should be, but I have a seventeen-year-old son sitting across from me every morning at breakfast, looking to me for explanation and guidance as this story develops, so that's what has been on my mind. When he asked me this morning why and how the insulting reference to Renate Dolphin made it into the Georgetown Prep yearbook, I did not have a good answer for him, and that left me very sad but also heartened that he recognizes how wrong it was. He's a fine young man, and I'm proud of him.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:22 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I have a daughter (she is 5)

I have had been in a situation in my 20's where I was drunk and a drunk man 60 pounds heavier then me forcefully pushed me on a couch and held me down while grabbing at me and sticking his tongue on my forcefully closed mouth. I literally could not breath because I think I was holding my breath because of his tongue near my nose and my mouth clenched. I was trying to fight him off but at that moment realized I was not a strong as I thought I was **shocking** I was scared. I did manage to kick him in the groin and I ran out of the apartment. I told EVERYONE I knew. The next time I spotted him with his friends I made a scene and let everyone again know what he did. However, if today I saw he was running for some high position I would not bring this up. We were both drunk. I do not condone his behavior however I cannot say that he is a really bad person. He was so drunk. I willingly got that drunk with him. I did not deserve what he did to me but I cannot be sure he TODAY would deserve any punishment for it.

I also once in my early 20's grabbed Derek Jeters a** at a club. Guess that makes me a sexual predator as well.
Do you think he was trying to rape you or just being a sloppy drunk? I was grabbed and kissed by a sloppy drunk probably more than once but there was no real threat. But if two guys had me in a room, pinned down and I had no control I would be scared as ***t.

More importantly, what did Jeter do when you assaulted his butt? I'll guess and say he said, "Yeah, Jeets".

Old 09-25-2018, 11:26 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The Atlantic's Caitlin Flanagan offers up her perspective on the matter...

The Abandoned World of 1982

Parts of it are more brutal than I think were necessary to get her point across, but she brings up points that I think are being lost in the debate over Kavanaugh's worthiness for a seat on the Supreme Court. This is not the same world that Kavanaugh, Judge, Ford, and Ramirez grew up in. I am just a bit younger than Kavanaugh and Ford, but I also went to high school before the term "date rape" gained traction and prior to the publication of Reviving Ophelia. To criticize Ford for not reporting her assault to law enforcement at the time is to demonstrate a deep misunderstanding of the culture of the '80s, which Flanagan compellingly lays bare.

<snip>Why wouldn’t a 15-year-old girl tell anyone, not even her “loving parents”? Because Ford did not grow up in today’s girl culture. Christie Blasey was a 15-year-old girl in 1982...

As it happens, 1982 was a seminal year in the history of the way American girls would come to be raised and educated, and in how millions of them would come to regard their life...

Today, a girl who experienced what Ford says happened to her would find countless resources on the internet to help her, would have been explicitly told by teachers and administrators that there were people she could (and should) talk to if anyone tried to force sex on her, would be immersed in all the elements of popular culture—songs, movies, teen fiction, blogs—explaining to her that what happened was a profound wrong, and that it was not her fault.

This is true. I can't step into a bathroom at the university where my daughter attends college without seeing a flyer about sexual assault that lists resources for getting help. That wasn't the case when I attended high school and college in the eighties. I would not even have known where to turn had something like that happened to me.
This is the truth and I know it from firsthand experience. I grew up in the 80s. Rape was something that happened in dark alleys by strangers. It was unthinkable that a boy who was known, trusted and well liked could assault a "good" girl form a nice area. The world assault menaing things other than rape wasn't part the popular lexicon, sexual assaults that are easily considered criminal today weren't talked about as crimes back then. Girls were expected to put up with a great deal of offensive behavior from boys. Being regualrly groped and pinched was just about "boys being boys." If a girl had the misfortune to be assaulted by someone she knew, the blame would mostly fall on the girl and she would be subjected to endless questions on all the things she supposedly did wrong. I know it and experienced it, telling one's parents would be unthinkable. I don't agree with the timing of this but the story is absolutely believable to a woman who grew up in that time who experienced a similar situation.

Last edited by detshen; 09-25-2018 at 11:34 AM..

Old 09-25-2018, 11:28 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That's nonsense. If the GOP was ram-rodding the vote, the committe vote would already be in the books and the full senate vote would be scheduled for this week. The very fact that we do not even have the committee vote scheduled and are still discussing hearings is proof that there is no ram-rodding. How is Grassley tone-deaf when he has already delayed deadlines, votes and hearings multiple times?
Anything less than "of course we'll delay any vote until after the mid terms" is going to be considered "ram-rodding the vote" and tone deaf by many on the left at this point.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:29 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Meanwhile, been 24 hours of Avanatti's big-mouthed 48 hour promise. Chirp. chirp.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:29 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Lefties mocking Kavanaugh virginity claim
I shouldnt be suprised but I am.
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...ral-sex-video/
And another
https://www.breitbart.com/big-hollyw...ghs-penis-off/
There is no bottom for the bottom feeders
The left hasn't begun to plumb the depths that global laughing stock Trump has.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:31 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,978,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Do you think he was trying to rape you or just being a sloppy drunk? I was grabbed and kissed by a sloppy drunk probably more than once but there was no real threat. But if two guys had me in a room, pinned down and I had no control I would be scared as ***t.

More importantly, what did Jeter do when you assaulted his butt? I'll guess and say he said, "Yeah, Jeets".

I honestly think he had no idea what he was doing. He initially tried to kiss me and I said "No" he then basically mounted me and did what I described. I was pushing and kicking. I think he was just so drunk and he saw me (an able body) and he wanted what he wanted. It was scary. Again, because I am admittedly a small framed person but always thought I could handle my own. In that minute (or 30 seconds) I really had no control. He could have raped me if he wanted to that is how little control I had. I literally got lucky with my leg kick and got him in the right spot and sprung up kicked him again and ran.

If I remember correctly Jeter took it in stride and just turned around and smirked at me. Now this was 20 years ago.. if it were today, he may have had me arrested

Old 09-25-2018, 11:32 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Can the left get any lower?

I don't see how. They are like a cub bear now. What they don't destroy they crap on.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:33 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,592,213 times
GOP does the same thing at other times.

Pot meet kettle.

One side gets in and the other side goes into destroy mode.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:33 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
The left hasn't begun to plumb the depths that global laughing stock Trump has.
I havent heard anyone on the right mocking the so called victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies