Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 08:14 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
It is not discrediting her right away, it is everything together that makes me not believe her. The timing, the lack of a name mentioned before, and most importantly, the witnesses she said was there do not recall such a party, and even her friend goes on to day she had never met or known kavanaugh.

Have you seen the corroborating letters she submitted to the Senate?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/26/polit...ord/index.html

Her husband says he remembers her saying it was BK in 2012.

Her son's baseball coach says while they were watching their kids play in a public place in 2016, she said she had been assaulted by a federal judge. [For someone so traumatized and had never spoken about it, she blurts it out to her son't baseball coach at a park?] He then said they emailed each other this June where he asked for the name and she said BK. [This should be verifiable if such emails were sent.]

A friend said she told her she had been assaulted by a federal judge when they were having lunch at a pizza place in 2013, and that she has a receipt for that meal. [Who keeps receipts for meals they had 5 years ago?]

Old 09-26-2018, 08:15 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
A retired sex crimes police detective of 18 years called in to a radio show I was listening to last night. He called in about this specific situation (re Kavanaugh and Dr. Blasey-Ford) and he said a report would be taken , but that there would be no investigation for the reasons you state in your post.
To follow that up a woman called in to a radio show I listened to yesterday claiming to be one of his College dorm mates (lived in the same Res hall). She said that what Ford and others are claiming does NOT jibe with the person she knew. She went on to debunk all the drinking/drunk/groping rape chain allegations.

She also went on to say that reporters have been calling her for interviews/confirmation. One "reporter" just before she decided to call in and they ALL tried to lead her, push answers that they wanted on her or got upset when she wouldn't buy into the narrative that THEY wanted confirmed.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The poster you responsed to indicated the senate approved Gorsuch so where is the lie.
did anyone say it was a lie? I think the point is, he would have been confirmed without a single dem voting for. It didn't take 3 dems to get him approved.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:16 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Kavanaugh's behavior (the topic here) was not that of a prudish conservative.

He was the altar boy, choir boy when people were looking and the crazed sexual harasser when no one was looking. Repressing emotions and feelings can only be repressed for so long. Add alcohol, which drives defenses down and hence the real Kavanaugh would appear.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:17 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Have you seen the corroborating letters she submitted to the Senate?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/26/polit...ord/index.html

Her husband says he remembers her saying it was BK in 2012.

Her son's baseball coach says while they were watching their kids play in a public place in 2016, she said she had been assaulted by a federal judge. [For someone so traumatized and had never spoken about it, she blurts it out to her son't baseball coach at a park?] He then said they emailed each other this June where he asked for the name and she said BK. [This should be verifiable if such emails were sent.]

A friend said she told her she had been assaulted by a federal judge when they were having lunch at a pizza place in 2013, and that she has a receipt for that meal. [Who keeps receipts for meals they had 5 years ago?]
all hearsay....not going to cut it

Old 09-26-2018, 08:18 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
No, but she was one of GWB's assistants when he was Governor of Texas, and was his personal secretary when he was POTUS. She's now the Town Manager for Chevy Chase, MD Section 5.

Some of the threats she and their kids are getting are chilling:

https://thefederalistpapers.org/us/d...-churn-stomach
I'm sure she has lots of skills honed from those positions. But, for whatever reason, she was not comfortable answering the question and the signal she gave him to answer it was clear.

The threats to both the Kavanaugh's and the Ford family are chilling.

I'm sure most of them are probably harmless keyboard warriors, but I hope LEO will make some examples out of some of them on both sides.

No one should have to be subject to that.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:20 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I am beginning to see the reason that some of the more qualified and respected politicians do not want to hold office. Everyone has a skeleton in their closet and they realize it is not worth their past being thrown out into the publics eye. let he who is without sin cast the first stone...……...
Be up front about those skeletons OR if you have too many - maybe don't apply for SCOTUS. We all have to be aware of our past transgressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Right...just ask Hillary.
"I do not recall" is Trump's favorite phrase in the hundreds of depositions he's been in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
What a charade. This may please their base but will galvanize the Independents, Dems, women and all supporters of the #MeToo movement to come out in retaliation for not taking Kavanaugh's accusers seriously. They can ignore the accusers all they want, but the polls show most Americans want a fair hearing and investigation. 'Plowing' Kavanaugh through despite all the allegations and his low disapproval rating is going to haunt the GOP bigly.

I can't wait until the third accuser comes out tomorrow!
You know, I heard Republican Senator Kennedy this morning and I must say if Pubs had taken HIS tone; this wouldn't be such a charade. But instead you have the President smearing the victims, McConnell smearing the victims, and the VP just saying none of it matters - he will be confirmed anyway.

Quite the charade. I submit Ford would be better off letting them hold their vote and telling her story to a friendly 60 minutes.

Plus - isn't the judge supposed to be non-partisan? Why did he choose to go to a highly partisan network to give his interview?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Who cares where it came from, prove me wrong...see how easy that is?
Childish posters want to pay childish games.

Get back to me when you've been sexually assaulted.

We'll chat.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:21 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
He was the altar boy, choir boy when people were looking and the crazed sexual harasser when no one was looking. Repressing emotions and feelings can only be repressed for so long. Add alcohol, which drives defenses down and hence the real Kavanaugh would appear.
His Yale roommate claims Kavanaugh was drunk on a regular basis during their freshman year. And a belligerent drunk, at that.

https://www.newsweek.com/brett-kavan...onduct-1136989

Old 09-26-2018, 08:21 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I'm reserving judgement on Dr. Ford's credibility until after she is interviewed by the Senate Judiciary committee on Thursday. Let's hear what she has to say in a public setting.
Do you really believe she is going to show up? LOL.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:22 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Not reporting it doesn't mean it didn't happen. I was assaulted myself, and I was 15 years old as well. I never reported it for numerous reasons, among them the fact that I wanted to forget it. However, that does not mean I automatically believe Ford. She may not be telling the truth. But women who say they have been assaulted are more likely to be telling the truth than not. And the fact that no one can corroborate it doesn't mean it didn't happen either. How many sexual assault victims have witnesses? I am appalled by how many people automatically discount her just because Kavanaugh is a ___________. Besides, what deceitful motivation could she possibly have for bringing it up? What beef does she have against Kavanaugh that she would lie about something so damaging? She is not politically active. She is merely a college professor and no one has discussed any relationship with any bigwig politicians that I know of.
This is statistically false. Of all the reported sexual assaults, the vast majority were false allegations.

However, given the situation of electing a judge, we should not judge people based on statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies