Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 01:39 PM

37,037 posts, read 19,018,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Many Republicans are able to accept first trimester abortions. The problem is Democrat demands for abortion right up until the moment of birth and demanding that taxpayers pay for it. Democrats are increasingly celebrating abortion and legitimizing it as a way of life. THAT is a problem.
Either source a link with searchable data to support this, or admit it isn't true.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:54 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,683,745 times
Quote:
Many Republicans are able to accept first trimester abortions. The problem is Democrat demands for abortion right up until the moment of birth and demanding that taxpayers pay for it. Democrats are increasingly celebrating abortion and legitimizing it as a way of life. THAT is a problem.
Apparently both sides are misconstrued. I'll go first.

I was not aware that many Republicans would accept first trimester abortions. The politicians that represent them seem to want to curtail all of it. Sounds like there is a disconnect between the voters and the politicians. Once I hear Republicans make the argument against abortion by way of religion, I can't see how religion would say "the Bible says abortions are ok in the first 17 weeks, but not ok after that." It seems like they want it abolished entirely.

If you ask me, the average Democrat probably would probably compromise on abortion and limit it at 20 weeks or so. Personally, I don't care if they are subsidized by taxpayers. I find that's a pretty weak argument by Democrats. I don't push for that myself.

Are there figures out there for how many third trimester abortions are performed? If, let's say... 95% of all abortions are performed in the first trimester (not counting special circumstances like legitimate danger to the mother), then both sides are fighting over a relatively infrequent event. Kind of like voter fraud. Studies show that there was an estimated 30 possibly illegal votes in the 2016 election. Yet, we want stricter laws governing voting. The chances of those 30 votes, split nationally, actually affect the outcome is negligible. Same with abortions - if the vast majority are performed early.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:20 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,363,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Either source a link with searchable data to support this, or admit it isn't true.
Just a few examples:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/20...al_394020.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGGzHtODB3Q

https://www.lifenews.com/2018/07/05/...rate-abortion/

I would personally accept abortion up to 12 weeks but not encouraged and instead discouraged and shamed. Unfortunately, the Democrats actually enjoy celebrating and encouraging abortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Apparently both sides are misconstrued. I'll go first.

I was not aware that many Republicans would accept first trimester abortions.
The politicians that represent them seem to want to curtail all of it. Sounds like there is a disconnect between the voters and the politicians. Once I hear Republicans make the argument against abortion by way of religion, I can't see how religion would say "the Bible says abortions are ok in the first 17 weeks, but not ok after that." It seems like they want it abolished entirely.

If you ask me, the average Democrat probably would probably compromise on abortion and limit it at 20 weeks or so. Personally, I don't care if they are subsidized by taxpayers. I find that's a pretty weak argument by Democrats. I don't push for that myself.

Are there figures out there for how many third trimester abortions are performed? If, let's say... 95% of all abortions are performed in the first trimester (not counting special circumstances like legitimate danger to the mother), then both sides are fighting over a relatively infrequent event. Kind of like voter fraud. Studies show that there was an estimated 30 possibly illegal votes in the 2016 election. Yet, we want stricter laws governing voting. The chances of those 30 votes, split nationally, actually affect the outcome is negligible. Same with abortions - if the vast majority are performed early.
Most Republicans are not evangelicals and would tolerate abortion in the first trimester. I agree, we should be able to compromise on abortion limiting it to the first trimester.

In reality, we need to return abortion back to the states. If a state like NY wants to allow abortion up until birth, that is within their prerogative. If Wyoming wants to ban it altogether, then that should be within their rights.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:23 AM

24,312 posts, read 17,052,422 times
There are hypocrites in both parties.

There is no doubt in my mind that if some bible thumping anti abortion senator was to get his intern pregnant he would send her right down to the clinic.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:31 AM

2,362 posts, read 772,997 times
Quote:
The later the abortion is done, the riskier it's to the woman. You would think she would know better than you whether to get an abortion, especially when it's her body and/or life on the line. I don't see why Republicans see the need to second guess women in this intimate decision: why they get it, when they get it - it's truly none of your business.

It's her body. She has domain over changes her to body. She cannot be forced to be slave to another being even for 9 months. Shame on you.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:41 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,917,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Abortion rights are definitely one area where I disagree the majority of the GOP. I think the premise OK for me, evil for thee goes beyond partisan lines. This has been the thinking of those with money and power since forever regardless of party lines.
That's what my first reaction was when I read the title of the thread.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:42 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,917,978 times
Quote:
Moment of birth? Have never heard that ever.
Nobody has ever celebrated abortion and legitimized it as a way of life.

That is not the problem.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:50 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,560,300 times
Who knows how many abortions Trump helped cause and paid for? I'll never forget the look on his face when he was asked a question along those lines.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:03 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,560,300 times
Quote:
Just a few examples:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/20...al_394020.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGGzHtODB3Q

https://www.lifenews.com/2018/07/05/...rate-abortion/

I would personally accept abortion up to 12 weeks but not encouraged and instead discouraged and shamed. Unfortunately, the Democrats actually enjoy celebrating and encouraging abortion.

Most Republicans are not evangelicals and would tolerate abortion in the first trimester. I agree, we should be able to compromise on abortion limiting it to the first trimester.

In reality, we need to return abortion back to the states. If a state like NY wants to allow abortion up until birth, that is within their prerogative. If Wyoming wants to ban it altogether, then that should be within their rights.
But states that ban abortion would only become abortion export states. That doesn't look pro-life to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies