Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2018, 03:12 PM

910 posts, read 1,082,198 times

Advertisements

If Canada was so awesome, why do I meet so many Canadians that have immigrated to the U.S.? Just this week I met another family, (their son just joined the football team I am coaching). I asked them the normal questions, why move, what didn't you like, etc. I get the same answers every time, taxes are too high, property tax is outrageous, less opportunity for their children.

This family is upper middle class by U.S. standards, based on their home and vehicles they own. I don't know what they earn, but the husband drives a 2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4, and the wife a 2018 Ford Expedition Platinum, and they just purchased a $400,000 home. This family is from Alberta.

I think each country has it's strengths and weaknesses.

Good luck trying to get into Canada. I have had 2 clients that even though they married a Canadian citizen, they weren't approved to move their full time. They wound up bringing their spouse to the U.S.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:41 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
If Canada was so awesome, why do I meet so many Canadians that have immigrated to the U.S.? Just this week I met another family, (their son just joined the football team I am coaching). I asked them the normal questions, why move, what didn't you like, etc. I get the same answers every time, taxes are too high, property tax is outrageous, less opportunity for their children.

This family is upper middle class by U.S. standards, based on their home and vehicles they own. I don't know what they earn, but the husband drives a 2018 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4, and the wife a 2018 Ford Expedition Platinum, and they just purchased a $400,000 home. This family is from Alberta.

I think each country has it's strengths and weaknesses.

Good luck trying to get into Canada. I have had 2 clients that even though they married a Canadian citizen, they weren't approved to move their full time. They wound up bringing their spouse to the U.S.
I moved. Financial/work opportunity and way better weather. That being said, no place is a panacea. There's lots that can be improved here, and there's lots that can be improved in Canada. Not having basic health coverage for everyone is a crying bloody shame for the richest country in the world, and no amount of posturing will convince me otherwise. For what we in the US spend on defense, proper basic coverage would be a tiny fraction of that number, and everyone claims we don't want to be the world's police anymore. Great. Divert some of those funds for something that will benefit ALL Americans.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:47 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post

A $400,000 home?

That's a starter home in most of Alberta. Seriously.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...onavista-Downs

And the trucks they drive? Just about every rig pig has one of those, along with probably another $10-15,000 in customizations.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:16 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
A $400,000 home?

That's a starter home in most of Alberta. Seriously.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...onavista-Downs

And the trucks they drive? Just about every rig pig has one of those, along with probably another $10-15,000 in customizations.

That's pretty close to the average in Alberta of $387K which translates to $298K USD. The national average is $495K which translates to $381K USD, an 11% drop in the last year. This compares to the US average of $387K....very little difference.

https://www.livingin-canada.com/hous...es-canada.html

Old 08-27-2018, 04:30 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
That's pretty close to the average in Alberta of $387K which translates to $298K USD. The national average is $495K which translates to $381K USD, an 11% drop in the last year. This compares to the US average of $387K....very little difference.

https://www.livingin-canada.com/hous...es-canada.html
387K is the median price for a NEW home in the US. Median home price for all homes is $218K.

https://www.zillow.com/home-values/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...rices-alberta/

Also you can't do a currency conversion, as your earnings are in domestic currency as well. Pay is roughly equivalent for like positions, so you don't need to adjust for local conditions, so you should treat everything as dollar for dollar. If you live in Canada you get paid in CAD, and all your expenses are in CAD, so you don't get to discount to USD.

Basically, the median home price is 44% less in the US.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:55 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that is why many close to the border will travel to the US for treatments. They can see a doctor here, quite often quicker than in Canada and they can choose to pay out of their pockets.
Find us one of these type of stories from a Canadian source and you can go back to talking about the less than one percent of Canadians who get healthcare in the U.S. and that's counting the ones who get ill while travelling there://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...108-951-a.html

Old 08-27-2018, 05:14 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Few years old but Canada is much better than the US

Just few: Much safer, less corrupt, lower crime rate, lower obesity rate, universal healthcare, cheap college tuition, generous paid parental leave, paid days off, using metric system, cleaner cities, less poverty, higher life expectancy, better food quality, its biggest cities more affordable than our biggest cities to live, better social safety net, better world reputation, better immigration system, etc.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mac...-canadian/amp/
Canada lacks New York City.

So...

Old 08-27-2018, 05:15 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

So...
True -- but Toronto is a pretty amazing city.

And have you been to Quebec City -- no Quebec City anywhere in the USA.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:26 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
What are you waiting for??? Move already.
Typical- instead of working together to improve America- it's more of the same love of or leave it BS. As long as you have yours, don't change a thing!!

Old 08-27-2018, 06:05 PM

1,261 posts, read 567,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

So...
USA lacks Québec. What’s your point? At least Eastern Canadians are within driving distance to NYC than most Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies