Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 11:12 PM

776 posts, read 393,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
My parents were the same, though they actively encouraged me to smoke to get thinner. I was never anywhere near overweight, but I've always had relatively thicker thighs, and as my mother always put it, "men of means like legs lean".
When was this? I was born in 1994, and I'm describing from when I was born until the total smoking ban came into effect in 2006.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 11:14 PM

26,562 posts, read 14,434,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The temperance movement is afoot!

the oldest existing 3rd party in the US......... the prohibition party!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_Party

i like their never say die attitude.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:17 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
When was this? I was born in 1994, and I'm describing from when I was born until the total smoking ban came into effect in 2006.
I was born in 1990, but yeah, the smoking restrictions eventually put a damper on my parents' smoking until I was finally able to move out at 18.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:28 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
I was born in 1947, and my parents were strictly opposed to us smoking. I never picked up the habit, but I certainly knew many people who did smoke, including some of my closest friends. And of course I dealt with smoke everywhere. The effects of second-hand smoke eventually became widely known, and there was a period of time there - about 10 years? - where people were frequently squabbling about it. I well remember the morning I went to a large diner for breakfast, and the place was practically empty. The waitress went to seat me next to a table of about 6 who were all smoking like chimneys. I politely asked her whether she could seat me further away from them. She did, but the black looks and and denigrating comments made it clear that they thought I was obligated to breathe their smoke and there was something wrong with me if I objected.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:31 PM

776 posts, read 393,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I was born in 1990, but yeah, the smoking restrictions eventually put a damper on my parents' smoking until I was finally able to move out at 18.
I wish I had a means of moving out. I often feel stuck with my parents, taking classes at community college to make them happy and without the means to get to where there's oppertunities for a social life.

Something interesting I've noticed is that smokers in my social circle tend to be the kindest people. I wonder if the people who tend to smoke today aren't the same people who tended to smoke in the past.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:39 PM

482 posts, read 242,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Have a good time! I, for one, will not be joining you. That's not my style.

But I'm beginning to see your point. Your display and reaction makes me think the stereotype does indeed apply in certain cases. You are probably the worst I've met when it comes to admitting using ________ (insert your favorite slang word for cannabis here), while at the same time reinforcing the stereotype that I hate so much.
Drug addict ^

Old 08-26-2018, 11:43 PM

482 posts, read 242,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Help me understand...you are going to go smoke some weed with your buddy and laugh together about - wait for it - someone else who smokes weed?

Consistency, thou art a jewel.
Totally

Making fun of people in denial is comedy gold. This ignorant bufoon that smokes bud 24/7 doesn't think he has a problem. He's the equivalent of that guy that drinks a bottle of wine every night because he "likes the taste."

You can't make this **** up LOL

Old 08-26-2018, 11:54 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
I agree. There is no safe level of consumption for alcohol. It's a toxic substance. I would never agree with making it illegal, but consuming it should absolutely be discouraged.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:50 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
Totally

Making fun of people in denial is comedy gold. This ignorant bufoon that smokes bud 24/7 doesn't think he has a problem. He's the equivalent of that guy that drinks a bottle of wine every night because he "likes the taste."

You can't make this **** up LOL
If you have to resort to name calling because you have no substance, your weak position is so exposed that I am truly embarrassed for you. The most embarrassing part is that since you smoke it, you think you know all about it and are well-versed in all of the different ways it can be used. You are sadly lacking in that knowledge.

I can tell from your attitude that it isn't drug users who are in denial that you "hate" (your word). It is intelligence. Your name for it appears to be "skeazy stoners".

You are uneasy around intelligence because of your fear of being exposed as having very little of. In fact, I believe that is why you enjoy smoking it, because you're the type that it makes stupid. That's fine, if you want to smoke strains that make you stupid and then act stupid, that is your prerogative. But do yourself a favor and open your eyes to the fact that there are many other uses for it other than to make one stupid. If you don't open your mind to that, you will continue to embarrass yourself in front of those who are way more experienced than you.

Concerning your bottle of wine every night analogy, you are describing my brother. He is a life-long alcoholic, but his poison is rum.

He has been drinking all his life, I have been using cannabis instead. The differences between his health and success in life, and mine, are stunning. If you were to somehow find enough intelligence to actually study these stark differences between two family members raised in the same dysfunctional home with two alcoholic, chain-smoking parents, you would discover your analogy is quite a poor one.

You really should thank me. If you were the voice representing the legalization movement, the movement would get set back another 50 years.

Please excuse this ignorant buffoon while I go be a productive member of society, pay my taxes, and raise my voice to the prohibitionists, all so that you and your friend can feel free to "spark one up" and laugh at the word cannabis.

You're welcome.

Last edited by Raddo; 08-27-2018 at 07:49 AM..

Old 08-27-2018, 09:49 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Better question: with cigarettes killing 10X as many Americans as overdoses involving opioids (480,000 deaths versus 42,000 deaths annually), why can you walk into any store and buy cigarettes without any hassle at all?

Every chronic patient must go through and endless, unrelenting gauntlet that even people in no pain would have a hard time complying with: paying for and attend a doctor's office every 28 days (and straight into withdrawal if you're in too much pain to get to the appointment), random drug tests 4X per year, random pill counts (where you have until the end of the day to show up at the doctor's office)--even for painkillers that have very little risk of overdose / abuse like Schedule 3 medications here in NH.

It's time to STOP allowing Big Government to drive up health care costs, while maximizing Big Pharma's profit margins and forcing physicians to turn away patients with REAL health problems because all their time is wasted on pointless monthly office visits (when chronic pain patients have exactly the same prescription and dose for YEARS).
well, this has more to do with MONEY than health or safety, outlawing prescription opioids (or making them very inaccessible), forces addicts to black market opioids like heroin, which is supplied by drug cartels. LE also depends on this in order to wage the drug war (without a consistent flow of drugs coming in, there can be no drug war).

If there was such a black market for cigarettes, I think we would see the same kinds of laws imposed on tobacco, as it would be lucrative enough for them to create laws in the first place. There is a black market for cigarettes, but its nowhere close to being as large or organized as the drug cartels are with street drugs.

Drug cartels weigh their cash by the dump truck loads thanks to tough US drug laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies