Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2018, 06:25 PM

16,237 posts, read 5,843,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That’s what it is. As long as we were on the sidelines begging for the TV table scraps, we were fine people. You know...we were always good for being an extra or a friend of a friend. But being the protagonist is simply going too far for the OP.

But ya just can’t let them black folks get too big for their britches.

Look how triggered these conservatives got over Black Panther.
Just a bit of a stretch.
Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Samual L Jackson, just for starters are among the most popular Hollywood actors. If Whites were so up in arms as you alleged then they wouldn't be the supper draw that they are.

In my mind Will Smith's only bad movie (that I watched) was After Earth.

For me the issue isn't replacing white actors with black actors. It's the driving of political agendas. I would love to see Samual L Jackson play Darren Stevens. B&tch twitch that nose, I Mother F&cking dare you. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 06:32 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,723,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
The term white male privilege is not used. What it says is : she’s still not as powerful as a decently tall white man with a full head of hair in America. Which is no different scenario than the original. To me the, full head of hair, bit is a typical lame mainstream comedy remark. Which means the whole thing is meant to be funny.
Yep, white privilege humor, with the hair bit thrown in to make the racism more palatable. Funny stuff.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FYI - the original show was kind of about white male privilege as well but I guess you weren't paying attention since black people weren't involved. Darren was always more powerful in society than Samantha even though she literally had magical powers - same premise it seems from the description of the new show as the old show. Only difference is the black part.
Samantha could have been as powerful in society as she wanted. She was pretty much an omnipotent being. But she reigned in her powers to make a life with the person she loved and experience the American dream. That was the premise of the original show.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:55 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,765,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

are you kidding me? the TV execs have been pushing a social agenda for decades, and if you cant see that you are blind as heck. remember M*A*S*H? that show was loaded with social agendas from top to bottom. please get a clue.
Sure I remember MASH, but apparently you don’t remember that it was the number one show on tv for most of its run and set a viewership record for a non sporting event that may never be broken. And it made boat loads of money for the network. Thanks for making my point.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:58 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,117,910 times
Sounds like you don't know what "PC" means. That implies there was something improper or offensive about it previously.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Sounds like you don't know what "PC" means. That implies there was something improper or offensive about it previously.
From the PC point of view, there are indeed many things wrong with the original version.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:08 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,711,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Just a bit of a stretch.
Will Smith, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Samual L Jackson, just for starters are among the most popular Hollywood actors. If Whites were so up in arms as you alleged then they wouldn't be the supper draw that they are.

For me the issue isn't replacing white actors with black actors. It's the driving of political agendas. I would love to see Samual L Jackson play Darren Stevens. B&tch twitch that nose, I Mother F&cking dare you. LOL

i agree with you to a point, after earth was not that bad of a movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Sure I remember MASH, but apparently you don’t remember that it was the number one show on tv for most of its run and set a viewership record for a non sporting event that may never be broken. And it made boat loads of money for the network. Thanks for making my point.

once again you COMPLETELY missed the point here. i know mash had huge ratings, and is still popular in reruns. i was using it however to make the point that tv producers were in fact driving a political agenda with the shows they produced, and mash was a great example of that pushing of an agenda.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:49 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,765,637 times
Quote:
i agree with you to a point, after earth was not that bad of a movie.

once again you COMPLETELY missed the point here. i know mash had huge ratings, and is still popular in reruns. i was using it however to make the point that tv producers were in fact driving a political agenda with the shows they produced, and mash was a great example of that pushing of an agenda.
And my point is that if MASH had low ratings it would be off. So apparently people have an appetite for left wing hidden agendas. LOL.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:19 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,077,833 times
Quote:
personally i dont care what the skin color of the actors is, i watch tv and movies for entertainment, and not for skin color. in fact some of my favorite actors are black. give me a good denzel washington movie over some of the white actors that hollywood wants to foist on us that barely have a brain in their heads.

the point i am trying to make is, hollywood needs to start generating new ideas, instead of recycling old ones, and adding PC changes to the scripts. want to do a bewitched style tv show? want to use black actors? want interracial relationships of various sorts? go for it. but come up with some original dialog, situations, character interactions, a new title, etc.

the thing i dislike about hollywood these days is the lack of originality. sometimes they do come up with some original stuff, but most of it is rehashed old stuff. i am surprised they havent remade all the old john wayne movies, or the old jimmy stewart movies yet.
Fair enough.

But changing the race isn’t “PC.”

And yeah, Hollywood bites ass when it comes to originality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, I haven't seen any triggered white folks over Crazy, Rich Asians. Maybe I should...wouldn't be surprised.
Lol...they like Asians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Just a bit of a stretch.

After Earth was an abomination. Lol

Old 08-27-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
But changing the race isn’t “PC.”
White privilege jokes are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies