Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 06:13 AM

37,068 posts, read 19,043,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It's all these Leftist skunks have. They can't get any traction with "Russian collusion" (I guess they forgot about Clinton's "collusion" with the Russians) so they have to dig up this old meme.
We're still waiting on a link to it that provides searchable data. Got one...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Trump is an arrogant prick"

And you talk like an uneducated unsuccessful poor person.

He acts like a LOT of peopl from NY City.

Remember the movie, where the guy is jaywalking across the street, a car comes along and the walker hollers out, "can't you see I'm walking here?

Typical New Yorker from the city. People from just across the river in NJ act the same way.
I never noticed NYC being full of arrogant pricks. I'll have to look closer next time I'm up. The folks I normally encounter are good people. The movie was "Midnight Cowboy", and Dustin Hoffman was the guy who hit the cab and yelled.

I'll give you New Jersey. The east side, anyway, all the way from Palisades to Staten Island and ten miles west.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:45 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,629,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I never noticed NYC being full of arrogant pricks. I'll have to look closer next time I'm up. The folks I normally encounter are good people. The movie was "Midnight Cowboy", and Dustin Hoffman was the guy who hit the cab and yelled.

I'll give you New Jersey. The east side, anyway, all the way from Palisades to Staten Island and ten miles west.
I have a lot of friends who hail from NY - most of them left long ago....BUT,

I definitely have ran - many a time - into the "arrogant pricks" being referred to...

It's a sociological thing that combines crowding with the class system in the USA.....my best example was when I took the kids and wife skiing in the Pocono mountains....

We were standing in line to rent skis....and a couple with a thick NY accent and 2 kids about 8-10 years old cut in the line and went right up to the rental desk. The CHILDREN....then, in an extremely pushy voice, DEMANDED various things from the poor clerks behind the desk. I was cowering in disgust (I am a gentleman and I teach my children the same).....but the NYC Parents were beaming with pride at their kids "getting what was theirs" so well.

I chalked it up to being brought up in a place where - unless you push,push,push...then someone else will...and get the best of you.

Those people definitely exist...or, more accurately, EXISTED IN BULK back a couple decades. You know - in Trumps time.

I fully agree that New Yorkers of today are generally better than that....

Oh, come to think of it, I know at least two or three others who are "family of friends" that I have met who are New Yorkers and display those attitudes. They too are older......

I really do think this "NY Prick" thing is mostly dated...as mentioned, among those who would be over 55 now. Many of the NYers I know today you could just as well mistake for being from a rural area or burbs. Nice people and most love the simple things like hiking, biking, nature, etc.

But it wasn't always that way.

Note - I was raised in Philly and my parents owned a small clothing factory. My family is really nice - yet my dad had to be quite tough in dealing with the business world. That was the way things were - nice guys finished dead last in many cases. Everyone was trying to get the better of everyone else.....the art of the deal, so to say.

Unlike Trump, my Dad never went bankrupt. His wealth increased each year for the 35 years he worked...and they went from nothing to retiring at about 53 yo. Also, my mom worked at the factory and among the workers (sewers, etc.) so there was a "oneness" in the whole operation and my parents were looked at well by the workers since they busted their butts all day long and didn't even have an office.

Still, being successful in the "rag biz" meant going to NYC at least once a week and being able to deal with the New Yorkers and come out on the win-win side.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:50 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,629,930 times
Quote:

Southern and Central NJ are different, of course! We considered ourselves "Springsteen" territory when we lived there. In NJ it often depends if you are "from philly" or "from NYC". The later tend to settle up north and keep the same attitudes, while the former are only a couple steps from the farms and the mines (true).

Philly was always known as the "city of homes" and "city of families" - and it was! It doesn't have that massive "business" culture that exists in NYC. NYC was built on trading and has been that way for 100's of years. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, just a different model like SF is a different model (average family size in SF is 1.3, meaning most are single!).

Old 08-28-2018, 10:31 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,434,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I have a lot of friends who hail from NY - most of them left long ago....BUT,

I definitely have ran - many a time - into the "arrogant pricks" being referred to...

It's a sociological thing that combines crowding with the class system in the USA.....my best example was when I took the kids and wife skiing in the Pocono mountains....

We were standing in line to rent skis....and a couple with a thick NY accent and 2 kids about 8-10 years old cut in the line and went right up to the rental desk. The CHILDREN....then, in an extremely pushy voice, DEMANDED various things from the poor clerks behind the desk. I was cowering in disgust (I am a gentleman and I teach my children the same).....but the NYC Parents were beaming with pride at their kids "getting what was theirs" so well.

I chalked it up to being brought up in a place where - unless you push,push,push...then someone else will...and get the best of you.

Those people definitely exist...or, more accurately, EXISTED IN BULK back a couple decades. You know - in Trumps time.

I fully agree that New Yorkers of today are generally better than that....

Oh, come to think of it, I know at least two or three others who are "family of friends" that I have met who are New Yorkers and display those attitudes. They too are older......

I really do think this "NY Prick" thing is mostly dated...as mentioned, among those who would be over 55 now. Many of the NYers I know today you could just as well mistake for being from a rural area or burbs. Nice people and most love the simple things like hiking, biking, nature, etc.

But it wasn't always that way.

Note - I was raised in Philly and my parents owned a small clothing factory. My family is really nice - yet my dad had to be quite tough in dealing with the business world. That was the way things were - nice guys finished dead last in many cases. Everyone was trying to get the better of everyone else.....the art of the deal, so to say.

Unlike Trump, my Dad never went bankrupt. His wealth increased each year for the 35 years he worked...and they went from nothing to retiring at about 53 yo. Also, my mom worked at the factory and among the workers (sewers, etc.) so there was a "oneness" in the whole operation and my parents were looked at well by the workers since they busted their butts all day long and didn't even have an office.

Still, being successful in the "rag biz" meant going to NYC at least once a week and being able to deal with the New Yorkers and come out on the win-win side.

Donald Trump (the person) has never gone bankrupt ...

out of over 500 successful companies, he has had less than 7 of those companies fail

7 fails out of 500...that is a success

Old 08-28-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

out of over 500 successful companies, he has had less than 7 of those companies fail

Shell [sham] corporations seldom file for bankruptcy.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:25 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,668,264 times
If Mueller has Trump's tax returns, it could reveal a lot.

IMO, if Russia is the source of Trump's funding, loans and/or revenue, it explains EVERYTHING.

Occam's razor

Old 08-28-2018, 05:29 PM

20,023 posts, read 8,913,884 times

Old 08-28-2018, 05:30 PM

1,199 posts, read 636,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

Background research is probably frowned upon here, but I have a couple questions:

1) Does your "over 500 successful companies figure" refer only to companies that Trump owns/controls, or does it include companies affiliated with him through licensing agreements?

2) Are you counting any Trump enterprise that didn't go bankrupt as a "successful company?" Are we giving him credit for Trump Ice, Trump Vodka, Trump University, Trump Steaks, etc.?

Old 08-28-2018, 05:30 PM

88,800 posts, read 44,610,756 times
Quote:
Shell [sham] corporations seldom file for bankruptcy.
Actually, dishonest people use shell corporations specifically TO file for bankruptcy.

Quote:
Advantages to corporate bankruptcy

There are only a couple of situations when it is advantageous to file a Chapter 7 for a corporation:
  • When a creditor is poised to lien or levy on assets that could be used to pay debts for which the shareholders or officers are personally liable
  • When the services of a bankruptcy trustee are desirable to liquidate assets and oversee the winding up of the business, freeing the corporation’s officers to seek employment, etc.
  • When filing bankruptcy may discourage creditor suits against the corporation which often involve the officers and shareholders personally, regardless of whether the officers are legally liable for the debt.
Note that generally each of those advantages accrue to the shareholders of the corporation. The corporate shell will still be encumbered with the unpaid debts since the corporation doesn’t get a discharge in Chapter 7.
https://www.bankruptcyinbrief.com/corporate7/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies