Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2018, 03:23 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
the shooter in the virginia tech. massacre bought his guns legally during a gun show a few hours earlier.
But illegally had them on campus. That's the thing... Criminals don't obey laws. We could pass a kajillion gun control laws and it would make no difference whatsoever. Criminals are still going to commit gun crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 03:28 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,882,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeerleader View Post
Actualy no . . .

Just more lambs in the chute of a virtue-signalling abattoir of progressivim.

I bet property management started running when shots were fired.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:31 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeerleader View Post
Actualy no . . .

Just more lambs in the chute of a virtue-signalling abattoir of progressivim.

And? That didn’t stop the shooter from bringing a weapon, I’m sure it didn’t stop others from bringing one either.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:34 PM

9,501 posts, read 4,334,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Very true. Some people ARE comforted by the thoughts and prayers of others. Others aren't, because the prayers don't reflect their belief system. Would a Southern Baptist be comforted by Catholic prayers, well meaning though they may be? Would they be comforted by Muslim prayers? Would it comfort an atheist or Jew to hear that their deceased is now with Jesus?

And---let's be honest. How many people follow through with "thoughts and prayers?" If they hear about it on TV while they are preparing dinner or read about it on the phone while working out at the gym, are they really stopping to think about it and to pray? Will they remember last thing at night before bed to pray?

I do agree that we should all be tolerant of how other people deal with sorrow and express their caring---but so often this "thoughts and prayers" is just an empty phrase and doesn't provide any more comfort than the perfunctory "I'm sorry for your loss" does (although at least when this is uttered at a funeral the person has made an effort to be there, even if they don't have quite the words to say anything meaningful)>

I guess I'm a little more optimistic than you. To me, "thoughts and prayers" simply means that they're thinking of me. I don't care if it comes from a Muslim, Catholic, or whatever - it is meant with the best of intentions. It's the same for "I'm sorry for your loss". If they truly didn't care at all, they wouldn't say anything. There's no need to overthink this - in times of grief it is hard to find words that convey how we feel. "Thoughts and prayers" and "I'm sorry for your loss" is the best some people can do in the moment, which doesn't make it any less sincere. A few years ago someone offered me this advice: Always Assume Positive Intent". It's remarkable how your perspective changes if you truly embrace those words.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:36 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,882,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
And? That didn’t stop the shooter from bringing a weapon, I’m sure it didn’t stop others from bringing one either.
I find most people tend to obey rules established by the businesses they patronize.

That’s kind of the reason for establishing rules in the first place.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:40 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
E. Violations of the Law

a. The commission of any act defined by Federal, State or local ordinances as a criminal act is prohibited. These include, but are not limited to: graffiti, property damage, defacing, damaging or destroying any real or personal property, etc.

b. Possession of a weapon, even if legally carried (except by law enforcement officers) is absolutely prohibited on Landing property

c. Using or possessing fireworks is prohibited

https://www.jacksonvillelanding.com/rules-of-conduct/
People should not have to walk around every day packing heat just to go out of the damned house.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:45 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Here comes another 500 page plus thread, the usual bickering back and forth about irrelevant issues such as gun control, yada yada yada, instead of putting blame solely on the narcissists that do these shootings.

My prediction, yet another disgruntled, alienated loser, with social media rantings and ravings and pictures posing with guns.
Interesting how when its an illegal immigrant, they're all evil murderers who deserve to be shot dead at the border.

But a white guy? The blame is his, and his alone.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:45 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
But illegally had them on campus. That's the thing... Criminals don't obey laws. We could pass a kajillion gun control laws and it would make no difference whatsoever. Criminals are still going to commit gun crimes.
Thats what so many people cannot seem to grasp?!!

Old 08-26-2018, 03:48 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,595,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
People shoot guns. They don't go off by themselves. Bad PEOPLE do bad things with guns, knives, cars, trucks, acid, etc. Address the people not the object.

yes bad people not bad objects.

What law not alreasdy on the books would have prevented this? Thats right, none..as criminals do not obey laws.

Old 08-26-2018, 03:50 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,514,587 times
Do the Democrats really want to remind everyone that they are devoted to confiscating everyone's guns, 10 weeks before the midterm elections?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies