Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2018, 08:20 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
That’s incredibly melodramatic.

I’m not in favor of abolishing the 2nd at all.
LOL sure
Your posts here on the subject transcend that notion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 08:23 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
They were pretty clear about the militia thing. The NRA just refuses to be honest about it.
NRA doesn't matter, Supreme Court cases do.

District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008), is a landmark case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm, unconnected with service in a militia

Old 08-26-2018, 08:24 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
The 2nd amendment was a monumental mistake, one which this country continues to pay the price for to this day. I don't what the answer is now. It's too late to undo, and people will continue to die for it.
You don't get your rights from a fictional piece of paper that you never signed.

Property rights are absolute. Each individual is born with them.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:25 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
I was going to make a bad comment about -- let me guess -- white male shooter.......and then I realized -- this isn't funny -- it's just depressing and sad and what can we do. Just accept it I guess.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:26 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,587 times
Quote:
They were pretty clear about the militia thing. The NRA just refuses to be honest about it.

The Militia was to be made up of any able bodied person from 15 - 50+ to be able to come to the aid of the state/civilization/township. Even the Supreme Court Case of Heller vs. DC confirmed this.

For a quick reference: The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

And in it's context Well Regulated quite literally meant in good working order.

So not even being a part of the Militia, the right of the people to keep and bear arms would supersede the previous clause.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I was going to make a bad comment about -- let me guess -- white male shooter.......and then I realized -- this isn't funny -- it's just depressing and sad and what can we do. Just accept it I guess.
That's a 9/10 on the ol' passive-aggressive scale.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:31 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
That's the LEAST funny and depressing part about it.

American culture is complacent with these events. It's just more thoughts and prayers, then wait for the next. Something that should not be normal, is, by and large, normalized.

Not funny. At all. Sad, it is.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:33 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Nope. I won't support it.
I even donated 2k to defcad a few days ago.

Here's the difference between our beliefs Harry.

You want someone to ensure your safety. Guns scare you.

I want everyone to be able to ensure their safety, and to see that their rights aren't violated to have the ability to ensure their safety, as they see fit.
Regardless if it is with a pistol. Rifle. Shotgun. Machine gun. Whatever they want they should have.

Freedom does not scare me nor intimidate me. I'm responsible for my safety and security. As long as that's guaranteed that's all that matters to me. As long as it isn't up to bureaucrats and lemmings compelled by the feels to subjectively interpret or dictate to me and millions of others.
I like being independent and not having to rely on anyone else.
You dont know anything about me and youre way off base.

Just know this, you can hug your guns all you want, but you arent helping the situation, and as long as you dont help, it will bite you in the azz eventually. Because your fellow Americans are committing acts that will take rights away from you if you dont act. You and people like you have a mentality that is against your own interests and you dont even realize it. Have fun with that!
Good night! I made my point clear enough

Old 08-26-2018, 08:34 PM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
The 2nd amendment was a monumental mistake, one which this country continues to pay the price for to this day. I don't what the answer is now. It's too late to undo, and people will continue to die for it.
No, people die because an individual made a choice to take anothers life.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
No, people die because an individual made a choice to take anothers life.
Well, yeah.

But that's just not going to fire up the teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies