Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2018, 10:21 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I don't know how many times I've said this.
You shouldn't be calling for gun control.
None of you lemmings should.
Criminals and those that get off killing others should be the ones calling for gun control.
"Gun Control laws are the criminal's OSHA. They ensure him a safe working environment."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
The 2nd amendment gives the people the right to keep and bare arms,
A slight correction: The 2nd amendment doesn't give the people anything. It commands government not to take away or interfere with their right to KBA. And it even gives a reason why.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:32 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,100,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
When a leftist fires a gun it expels rainbows and social justice.
Do tell, why would a libertarian need to own a gun yet preach that people aren’t capable of committing crimes because of “natural law”?

Old 08-26-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
The 2nd amendment was a monumental mistake, one which this country continues to pay the price for to this day. I don't what the answer is now. It's too late to undo, and people will continue to die for it.
Chalk up another big-govt addict who believes that if govt has the power to decide which of us can carry a gun and which of us can't, society will be safer, more free, and more prosperous.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:45 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Do tell, why would a libertarian need to own a gun yet preach that people aren’t capable of committing crimes because of “natural law”?
Huh? I never said that.

It's simple: you are born into a condition of anarchy and poverty/capitalism. You have self-ownership and rightful private property rights. These are absolute. You may do as you please as long as you adhere to the NAP. Once you violate it you've simultaneously violated the natural rights of another.

People are definitely capable of doing bad things. That doesn't mean you don't have the right to defensive force though. You own yourself. You can defend yourself.

Owning a gun, a tank, a plant, fresh milk (all things the State gets its panties in a twist over from time to time) are guaranteed by your natural right to own private property. To own yourself. To own the fruit of your labor.

Today an individual chose to break the NAP. The crime is in the act itself...not the thing he used, his motives, or how he was treated at age 5.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Huh? I never said that.

It's simple: you are born into a condition of anarchy and poverty/capitalism. You have self-ownership and rightful private property rights. These are absolute. You may do as you please as long as you adhere to the NAP. Once you violate it you've simultaneously violated the natural rights of another.

People are definitely capable of doing bad things. That doesn't mean you don't have the right to defensive force though. You own yourself. You can defend yourself.

Owning a gun, a tank, a plant, fresh milk (all things the State gets its panties in a twist over from time to time) are guaranteed by your natural right to own private property. To own yourself. To own the fruit of your labor.

Today an individual chose to break the NAP. The crime is in the act itself...not the thing he used, his motives, or how he was treated at age 5.
*Ahem*

Quote:
You can't "create" rights where none existed before. If this were true you would be out raping, robbing, and killing others to make your life easier. But you don't because you know it's against natural law. So what you do is invent a mythical social contract to give rights out of thin air (because individuals can't do what government does) to do your dirty work for you.
//www.city-data.com/forum/52060127-post198.html

Old 08-26-2018, 11:09 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
I am genuinely more scared of middle class white males than I am of random black guy hanging on the street corner these days. At least the black thug wears it on his sleeve.
I am genuinely not scared of either. Do you know what worries me? A dysfunctional congress.
I live in another country. I dont worry about middle class white guys, or black guys on street corners. Everyone I know over here who is white or black is middle-class. None of us are afraid of each other. We all worry what dumb war our elected reps will get our country into and how it will impact those living abroad.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:15 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Boy that really stuck with you. I'm honored.

I could have saved you some time and explained it better.

You personally don't do those things (unless you're posting from San Quentin) because you personally believe in natural law...even if you don't consciously acknowledge it.

Most people don't go out and individually violate the NAP...especially to the extreme we saw today in Jax.

My point in that earlier post was that you don't do it in your personal life but the loophole is simply creating the State to do your dirty work for you.

Hypothetical: If the cops find a manifesto in the shooter's home saying he declared himself a State and this shooting was justified because the victims were threatening the State...that is his State...would it make the incident morally ok?

Of course not.

But the government does this every day. Ruby Ridge, Waco, Walter Scott, etc.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Boy that really stuck with you. I'm honored.

I could have saved you some time and explained it better.

You personally don't do those things (unless you're posting from San Quentin) because you personally believe in natural law...even if you don't consciously acknowledge it.

Most people don't go out and individually violate the NAP...especially to the extreme we saw today in Jax.

My point in that earlier post was that you don't do it in your personal life but the loophole is simply creating the State to do your dirty work for you.

Hypothetical: If the cops find a manifesto in the shooter's home saying he declared himself a State and this shooting was justified because the victims were threatening the State...that is his State...would it make the incident morally ok?

Of course not.

But the government does this every day. Ruby Ridge, Waco, Walter Scott, etc.
Don’t flatter yourself just yet.

I don’t believe in the philosophy of natural law, both on a personal level, and from a historical perspective. Humans are simply incapable of living peacefully in an anarchistic society, unless you can provide evidence to the contrary. How’d anarchy work out for Somalia, again?

What loophole?

It’s a false equivalency to equate legal statehood with a bunch of armed whack-jobs in compounds claiming ”sovereignty” from U.S. laws.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:04 AM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
The nutjob should've been checked for a gun at the entry point, once he tried to re-enter. Lazy security protocols like this and Las Vegas have sad consequences.

Surprisingly (and refreshing) I see no 24/7 tv news coverage of the shooting and the shooters background. I guess the body count just wasn't high enough to warrant that type of national attention
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies