Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2018, 04:30 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Ahh so you do confess to lying.
...Try again.
Sad that there are so many leftists on here, spreading communist propaganda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
You think the family and friends of gun violence care where it ranks? By your argument, where does death by illegal immigrant rank?
Do you think the family and friends of someone who was pushed out of a window would care where it ranks? Do you think we should outlaw windows? That has got to be the lamest excuse of an argument I have heard all morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
HIPAA is the stumbling block. ...
I am not sure it really is a stumbling block. If it is, it needs to be fixed, but most of what I have seen indicates that this is merely a smoke screen thrown up by liberals who don't want to face reality.

A gun dealer is required to check with the FBI and it is up to the government to police themselves, but the FBI has traditionally been more interested in playing politics than they are in doing their job right. Back in the 90's, when they first built the national database that is used for background checks, they asked that they be exempted from quality control standards that all other government agency databases were being asked to follow at the time. That should tell you something about where the problem lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 05:12 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Sad that there are so many leftists on here, spreading communist propaganda.

Do you think the family and friends of someone who was pushed out of a window would care where it ranks? Do you think we should outlaw windows? That has got to be the lamest excuse of an argument I have heard all morning.

I am not sure it really is a stumbling block. If it is, it needs to be fixed, but most of what I have seen indicates that this is merely a smoke screen thrown up by liberals who don't want to face reality.

A gun dealer is required to check with the FBI and it is up to the government to police themselves, but the FBI has traditionally been more interested in playing politics than they are in doing their job right. Back in the 90's, when they first built the national database that is used for background checks, they asked that they be exempted from quality control standards that all other government agency databases were being asked to follow at the time. That should tell you something about where the problem lies.
HIPAA is a law, not a quality control standard that anyone is being "asked" to follow.

One of the more common reasons I see for not allowing NICS an exemption from HIPAA is that doing so will discourage those who really need it from seeking medical treatment for their mental illness(es). A LOT of people who are mentally ill are either in denial about it, and/or they try to hide it.

Currently, the only mentally ill persons who can be legally identified by NICS' database are "those who have been involuntarily committed to a mental institution, or otherwise have been determined by a lawful authority to be a danger to themselves or others or to lack the mental capacity to manage their own affairs." (Source: HHS) Those who have voluntarily sought treatment for mental illness are not identified.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:11 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
And someone with a record of mental illness -- do we know if he bought gun or stole it,

I'm curious as to how he got the firearm, as well. The news hasn't reported that , as far as I can tell.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:12 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I'm curious as to how he got the firearm, as well. The news hasn't reported that , as far as I can tell.
He did purchase the guns legally.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
He was able to buy two guns from a licensed dealer, another large hole in background checks and reporting people with mental illness.

A licensed dealer where ? Baltimore or Florida ? Can't see it being Florida, an out of state individual can't just walk in an purchase a firearm. You can thank HIPAA laws for not being able to share medical records with the NICS.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:21 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times
Who the heck brings a gun to a "gaming contest".... it fits the narrative, of "If they can't beat someone fair and square, then the aim is to maim and or kill, if they can't dominate over others the aim is to destroy...
This has been a historical pattern, and we likely can be sure this was a "die hard Trump supporter" with a severe conservative consumption.

Liberal minded people are far less likely to do something this horrendous.

No one should take the pursuit of any game, money or anything else so serious they go off the deep with a premeditate intent to kill the competitors !!!!! (bringing a gun to a gaming event, is enough fact, that this was a premeditated act if and when this person did not win.)

Last edited by Chance and Change; 08-28-2018 at 07:20 AM..

Old 08-28-2018, 06:31 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
One has to think about about how retailers in the US have enough money to protect goods from being stolen by the use of detectors, camera's and personnel yet spend no money in protecting people? Yet in Israel where civilian gun/weapon control is extremely high on the agenda to protect people that even the corner supermarkets have some measure to do so.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:36 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
HIPAA is a law, not a quality control standard that anyone is being "asked" to follow.
I never said it was, you misread what I wrote. I made the assumption the reader could see that I was writing about two different databases, and how they interface.

Quote:
One of the more common reasons I see for not allowing NICS an exemption from HIPAA is that doing so will discourage those who really need it from seeking medical treatment for their mental illness(es). A LOT of people who are mentally ill are either in denial about it, and/or they try to hide it.
Sounds like all the liberals (or leftists, or progressive, or whatever they want to call themselves today).

Quote:
Currently, the only mentally ill persons who can be legally identified by NICS' database are "those who have been involuntarily committed to a mental institution, or otherwise have been determined by a lawful authority to be a danger to themselves or others or to lack the mental capacity to manage their own affairs." (Source: HHS) Those who have voluntarily sought treatment for mental illness are not identified.
The shooter in Jacksonville had been involuntarily committed, multiple times, so anyone saying that HIPAA stopped them from reporting is using it as a smokescreen.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/27-vo...ooter/22843359
Quote:
According to court documents, before, during and after Katz lived in the Columbia home, he had "significant behavioral mental health issues," antipsychotic medications, was involuntarily committed to mental hospitals six times and spent 97 days at Redcliff Ascen" in Utah. His mother claimed her son was "in desperate state" and "a potential schizophrenic break."
Also, despite the MSM repeatedly saying he bought the guns legally, it would be illegal for him to purchase those guns with his background, once again showing that laws don't stop lawbreakers.

What this shows is that the government agencies in D.C., Maryland, Utah are not doing their job, which is basically what I said before.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:51 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Who the heck brings a gun to a "gaming contest".... it fits the narrative, of "If they can't beat someone fair and square, then the aim is to maim and or kill, if they can't dominate over others the aim is to destroy...
This has been a historical pattern, and we likely can be sure this was a "die hard Trump supporter" with a severe conservative consumption.

No on should take the pursuit of any game, money or anything else so serious they go off the deep with a premeditate intent to kill the competitors. (bringing a gun to a gaming event, is enough fact, that this was a premeditated act if and when this person did not win.)
Not following the story, I see. Katz was a Trump hater who made many posts on social media about it. He was a left wing nut job. Out of the past dozen shooters, I believe only one was proven to be a right-winger. The rest all belong to the liberals and have been proving how "tolerant" the left is.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post

No on should take the pursuit of any game, money or anything else so serious they go off the deep with a premeditate intent to kill the competitors. (bringing a gun to a gaming event, is enough fact, that this was a premeditated act if and when this person did not win.)
It is being reported by some that he was quite the opposite.
https://davidharrisjr.com/politics/j...tance-warrior/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies