Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 03:12 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,356,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You are using similar reasoning the Nazis ideology used on Jews-the Jews are destructive and for the good of the people Jewry has to be eliminated. Or the same reasoning communist use on capitalism. Christians are an inherent part of America and its heritage and are not destructive of America.
I am doing absolutely no such thing, in no way whatsoever...unless it's Nazi-ish to be a democrat, or republican, or have any other ideology you'd like to spread.

Now, I am using a similar reasoning as people who want Judaism to not want to spread, but that's okay, depending on how you go about that. Trying to convince people to change their opinions through respectful, non-intrusive discussion is perfectly fine.

However, telling people they're going to hell for nonbelief is a form of mild terrorism. That doesn't make those people enemies of the American people. That would depend upon other actions of theirs. I would say a little less respectful of discourse might be warranted to discourage that though...though that depends on how you go about that too. Actually...I could understand being royally peeved off because of that and making blasphemous cartoons for a living explaining how Christianity and Islam are horrible because of that...and tossing in other religions in general.

Also...if you're right, and other people are wrong, you have the right to be more pushy about your opinions. Being right is what mostly matters, but even then there are limits. We can't just do this ridiculous "It's Nazism to what certain religions destroyed." That's nonsense. It's an inherent right everyone has to desire the spread of their ideas, which inevitably requires the destruction of other ideas.

Christianity is not inherent to America. It's more than just its heritage. It's an idea that has affects upon people's thinking. Like other ideas, it can be wrong. If it's wrong, it's best to change it.

Wesboro Baptist church members are a-holes because they're intolerant, but they're mostly a-holes because they're wrong. If they're right, they're actually wonderful people. Lots of atheists think they're protecting children from infectious diseases when they badmouth religion. One major difference though, is that I've never heard of atheist groups protesting funerals. Atheists can still be quite verbally aggressive though at times, over the internet. I've also heard of rare atheistic billboards advising people of certain religions to convert away from their religions...but these people see themselves as trying to defend children from infectious diseases. There are limits to how friendly people can be expected to be when either protecting their children from hellfire, or protecting children from infectious diseases.

The bottom line is, there's nothing inherently wrong with wanting ideas destroyed, depending on how you go about it. That's just part of being a human being. For some ideas to thrive, others have to be destroyed. That's very different from anything the Nazis did. If you associate wanting ideas destroyed with Nazism...you're both a hypocrite, (because you also want ideas destroyed...namely mine) and anti-human. You are opposed to change and desire only a stagnant society that can't adapt to new information.

Last edited by Clintone; 09-24-2018 at 04:02 AM..

Old 09-24-2018, 03:22 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,444,872 times
Quote:
I don't believe Christians and Muslims share the same god. You can't completely explain a god differently and have the same god. It's likely Jews and Christians serve the same god. Jews and Christians have a direct link and lineage almost as much as Protestants and Catholic do, but it's also possible that Jews and Christians don't serve the same god. It's possible there is no god. It's irrelevant to me whether they have the same god or not. Islam is incompatible with everyone else. The problem to the extent it exists between Jews and Christian is not religion but Jewish ethnocentrism as many Christians are very pro-Jewish. The primarily problem with Islam among its various problematic beliefs is it is a religion of conquest and total submission.
pro-israel Is not being pro-jewish

Old 09-24-2018, 09:09 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
How do you conclude that swearing to tell the truth is "taking the Lord's name in vain"?

It's tradition. It's respectful of our American culture and values. It's really quite silly and petty to find a fault with it. It's even sillier to place that fault on Christians by insisting we should know it's... ummmm, how did you put it?... a "no-no".
Our American culture is secular. People who swear on a scripture when taking an oath are doing it because that scripture is sacred to them and they are demonstrating the sincerity of their oath. I’m not sure why so many religious people here are trying to trivialize their own damn scripture as just another meaningless red tape item. I don’t get it.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:25 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I am doing absolutely no such thing, in no way whatsoever...unless it's Nazi-ish to be a democrat, or republican, or have any other ideology you'd like to spread.

Now, I am using a similar reasoning as people who want Judaism to not want to spread, but that's okay, depending on how you go about that. Trying to convince people to change their opinions through respectful, non-intrusive discussion is perfectly fine.

However, telling people they're going to hell for nonbelief is a form of mild terrorism. That doesn't make those people enemies of the American people. That would depend upon other actions of theirs. I would say a little less respectful of discourse might be warranted to discourage that though...though that depends on how you go about that too. Actually...I could understand being royally peeved off because of that and making blasphemous cartoons for a living explaining how Christianity and Islam are horrible because of that...and tossing in other religions in general.

Also...if you're right, and other people are wrong, you have the right to be more pushy about your opinions. Being right is what mostly matters, but even then there are limits. We can't just do this ridiculous "It's Nazism to what certain religions destroyed." That's nonsense. It's an inherent right everyone has to desire the spread of their ideas, which inevitably requires the destruction of other ideas.

Christianity is not inherent to America. It's more than just its heritage. It's an idea that has affects upon people's thinking. Like other ideas, it can be wrong. If it's wrong, it's best to change it.

Wesboro Baptist church members are a-holes because they're intolerant, but they're mostly a-holes because they're wrong. If they're right, they're actually wonderful people. Lots of atheists think they're protecting children from infectious diseases when they badmouth religion. One major difference though, is that I've never heard of atheist groups protesting funerals. Atheists can still be quite verbally aggressive though at times, over the internet. I've also heard of rare atheistic billboards advising people of certain religions to convert away from their religions...but these people see themselves as trying to defend children from infectious diseases. There are limits to how friendly people can be expected to be when either protecting their children from hellfire, or protecting children from infectious diseases.

The bottom line is, there's nothing inherently wrong with wanting ideas destroyed, depending on how you go about it. That's just part of being a human being. For some ideas to thrive, others have to be destroyed. That's very different from anything the Nazis did. If you associate wanting ideas destroyed with Nazism...you're both a hypocrite, (because you also want ideas destroyed...namely mine) and anti-human. You are opposed to change and desire only a stagnant society that can't adapt to new information.
This is unAmerican/anti-American communistic thinking and thought police. God help us if progressives act on this thinking .

Old 09-24-2018, 03:28 PM

46,971 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
How do you conclude that swearing to tell the truth is "taking the Lord's name in vain"?
The presented argumant was "It's not a display you believe in the bible or the religion per se."

Or, as you put it:

Quote:
It's tradition. It's respectful of our American culture and values.
Note how none of you mention it as an act of religious significance? Using the name of God in profane matters is what the commandment specifically bans.

Quote:
It's even sillier to place that fault on Christians by insisting we should know it's... ummmm, how did you put it?... a "no-no".
Is this why you're so insistent on plastering the 10 commandments everywhere - you have a hard time remembering them? I don't care much, really - I'm not swearing on anyone's holy book unless coerced. (If I found myself in a courtroom in deepest Alabama, you can bet I'll swear on every Bible in the room.) Even if I give in, it's obviously not going to entice any sort of extra obligation - it could be a phone book, for all I care.

However, it is not very consistent for a Christian to insist on an oath that involves God's name, yet at the same time argue that it's merely non-religious "tradition".

Old 09-24-2018, 03:34 PM

46,971 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Our American culture is secular. People who swear on a scripture when taking an oath are doing it because that scripture is sacred to them and they are demonstrating the sincerity of their oath. I’m not sure why so many religious people here are trying to trivialize their own damn scripture as just another meaningless red tape item. I don’t get it.
It's just a power demonstration at this point. Faith doesn't enter into it, it's a matter of making other people bend to their will. Look at the insistence on "respect for American culture and values" - or at the entire thread. They feel it's their right to define what's American values and they will use whatever means they have to hold on that power.

Of course, in real life, people swear on whatever they want or don't swear at all.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:40 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
pro-israel Is not being pro-jewish
I think it is but Protestants don't just tend to be pro-Israel, but pro-Jewish too. They believe Jews are God's chosen people, and they read the stories in the old testament and relate to the characters as if it were their own relatives.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:14 PM

1,261 posts, read 568,443 times
Quote:
I think it is but Protestants don't just tend to be pro-Israel, but pro-Jewish too. They believe Jews are God's chosen people, and they read the stories in the old testament and relate to the characters as if it were their own relatives.
Misguided Christians

Jews are no longer God’s chosen people as they rejected Christ the lord and savior. The faithful in Christ are.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:26 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,479,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

Some people on CD will pick apart and argue points never made by someone else, just for the sake of bickering and having nothing better to do. I have no time or desire for that crap. If you do, I feel sorry for you.

Look. America was founded and built on Christianity and the Word of God as written in the Bible. Don't like it? Leave and find your godless utopia someone else.

Did I make that clear enough for you, jacqueg? If not... oh, well... bye-bye.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:05 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,103,478 times
Quote:
Some people on CD will pick apart and argue points never made by someone else, just for the sake of bickering and having nothing better to do. I have no time or desire for that crap. If you do, I feel sorry for you.

Look. America was founded and built on Christianity and the Word of God as written in the Bible. Don't like it? Leave and find your godless utopia someone else.

Did I make that clear enough for you, jacqueg? If not... oh, well... bye-bye.
You remind me why I became disillusioned with the Christian religion more than 50 years ago and never looked back. Bye-bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies