Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 09:43 PM

1,261 posts, read 567,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I see you've taken my suggestion.

Again, as others have pointed out - you can worship as you wish. But you can't force others to observe your faith if they're not of it, and you can't have government sponsor it. Instead it seems you want to impose a Christian Taliban or a Christian dominated theocracy, which is at odds with what the USA and the Constitution is all about.
I’m not advocating for everyone to be Christian or limit freedom of religion. I want Christianity to be favored and promoted just like in Europe, South America, Canada, Australia, etc.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:19 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
I’m not advocating for everyone to be Christian or limit freedom of religion. I want Christianity to be favored and promoted just like in Europe, South America, Canada, Australia, etc.
You mean christianity ISN'T favored and promoted in America? LMAO, that was good!

Old 10-05-2018, 09:06 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times
I don't think Muslims should be allowed in the US at all....taxes are moot. Why are they here?

Old 10-05-2018, 09:21 PM

1,261 posts, read 567,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
You mean christianity ISN'T favored and promoted in America? LMAO, that was good!
No it isn’t (enough)

Old 10-05-2018, 09:34 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Do you think that Muslims in America should pay jizya (tax that’s imposed on non-Muslims in Islamic nations under Islamic Sharia Law)? Since they impose that law on Christians and other non-Muslim residents in their own countries, I think Muslims in America and the West should also pay this extra tax. This will bring in nice revenue to the nation which could help pay for many things.
The ideal in the United States is to treat people equally.

The thought of picking those things one doesn't like about other groups in their home lands and then applying these things in the U.S. is disgusting.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The ideal in the United States is to treat people equally.

The thought of picking those things one doesn't like about other groups in their home lands and then applying these things in the U.S. is disgusting.
Why's that? All societies have standards. We can pick whatever we don't like and prohibit it, so if those groups believe in that sort of thing we certainly can prohibit their presence here. Nothing disgusting about defining our national values in a way that protects us from those whose beliefs and culture are incompatible with our own.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:11 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
I don't think Muslims should be allowed in the US at all....taxes are moot. Why are they here?
The exact same reasons we let you stay here.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:23 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times
Quote:
Why's that? All societies have standards. We can pick whatever we don't like and prohibit it, so if those groups believe in that sort of thing we certainly can prohibit their presence here. Nothing disgusting about defining our national values in a way that protects us from those whose beliefs and culture are incompatible with our own.
I don't how you'd ban immigration based on religion. I think the closest you could get would be banning people from certain countries from emigrating.

If I were in Europe, that might be understandable.

In the U.S. we have much less of a problem with potentially being overwhelmed by Muslims...but you could still look at it like "well, right now the only Muslims coming here will be ones willing to become very Americanized...but the more Muslims come here, the more friendly things will become for the less-Americanized Muslims, and then we might have to be more concerned about cultural shifts we dislike."

It's kind of a tough question. People will probably have kids who are the same religion as them, so if you let in a bunch of people with religions you don't like, you'll have likely permanently raised the percentage of your society that's that religion.

But if you ban people from countries due to those countries having large percentages of religions you dislike, that's kind of getting rid of a lot of our freedom-ish culture.

I could understand both sides...although people who are currently citizens must have the same rights as everyone else.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:22 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Good. Maybe we should tell you to take a hike then, because your views are contrary to the spirit of equality and freedom of religion as specified in the US Consititution.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Good. Maybe we should tell you to take a hike then, because your views are contrary to the spirit of equality and freedom of religion as specified in the US Consititution.
Freedom of religion is silly - it was only intended for Christianity - the religion of European peoples....so that the persecutions of smaller sects of Christianity by a dominant State-supported one like the Anglican church couldn't happen again.

Nobody expected that the nation they were creating would be overwhelmed by influxes of people whose religion and culture put them diametrically opposed to the American ideals with which they were chartering the new government.

Equality means for citizens. It isn't an invitation for the world to move to America and become equal to Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies