Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 07:34 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,086,000 times

Advertisements

This mom left her kid in a car unattended for 5 min while she went in a store. A do gooder took video with her cell cam of the mom leaving the kid in the car and turned it into the police. An arrest warrant was issued and the mom was suddenly a criminal.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/lif...-legal-battle/

My mom used to leave me in the car all the time for long periods of time. I guess my mom would have got the death penalty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 07:41 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
This mom left her kid in a car unattended for 5 min while she went in a store. A do gooder took video with her cell cam of the mom leaving the kid in the car and turned it into the police. An arrest warrant was issued and the mom was suddenly a criminal.

My mom used to leave me in the car all the time for long periods of time. I guess my mom would have got the death penalty.
Are you typing from your grave???

Old 08-28-2018, 07:50 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
This mom left her kid in a car unattended for 5 min while she went in a store. A do gooder took video with her cell cam of the mom leaving the kid in the car and turned it into the police. An arrest warrant was issued and the mom was suddenly a criminal
If the person with the camera was truly a "do-gooder", she'd have offered to watch the child for 5 minutes while the mom went into the store. She would have spent less time doing that than the time it took for her to run to the cops.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:52 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
I never left my kids alone in a car for 10 seconds let alone 5 minutes. My kids were my greatest treasure. More people should report this form of endangerment.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:54 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:

Very eloquent and thought-provoking. Thanks for posting.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:06 AM

13,692 posts, read 9,011,664 times
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/03/healt...rnd/index.html

Various municipalities have indeed made it a crime to leave an infant in vehicles. I still can't believe that people, here in Texas, during summer (which runs from about April through Halloween) would leave their children in a car, windows up, AC off.

The CNN chart shows deaths, but not the 'near thing', like this case, a few days ago, in Houston:

https://abc7news.com/3-year-old-surv...texas/4032190/

Old 08-28-2018, 08:09 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,788,485 times
My Mom would leave me and my brother alone in the car until one day I put it in gear and rolled the car into the side of a store.

Never again...

Old 08-28-2018, 08:18 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
it is better for a parent to have trouble with the police than a dead child forever because the car was stolen with their child inside or the child was dead from heat stroke. "do-gooders" do the right thing to call the police when a child or animal is left alone in a hot car.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:30 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
it is better for a parent to have trouble with the police than a dead child forever because the car was stolen with their child inside or the child was dead from heat stroke. "do-gooders" do the right thing to call the police when a child or animal is left alone in a hot car.
It wasn't hot out. Why are parents such paranoid helicopter parents these days? WTF happened?

Old 08-28-2018, 08:32 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If the person with the camera was truly a "do-gooder", she'd have offered to watch the child for 5 minutes while the mom went into the store. She would have spent less time doing that than the time it took for her to run to the cops.
Exactly. If she truly believed the child was in some kind of danger then she should be held just as responsible for not taking action. And calling the police in this situation is not taking action.

I raised my kids in small town USA and have left them in the car where I could see them while I ran inside for a minute. I remember waiting in the car while my mom went into businesses. I think people tend to overreact when they have no idea what is going on.

As far as being abducted and killed, less than 1% of children are abducted by strangers. When children are abducted in cars it is generally in association with carjacking.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-l4yXbGYNZx...1600/pram2.jpg

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/...-in-strollers/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies