Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 10:44 AM

1,042 posts, read 873,813 times

Advertisements

I had always respected and admired McCain except for a brief time while he was running for President against Obama. Things got pretty dicey,[bomb iran to the tune of a beach boys song really turned me off for awhile] but when he told that woman at a town meeting that Obama is a good man, I remembered the many positive traits he posesses. He always has had a record of "reaching across party lines," and any politician, whatever their affiliation, gains my admiration when they are strong enough to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 10:47 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,621,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You loved McCain until Trump told you that you shouldn’t.

That is the only reason. You loved McCain until Trump gave you orders not to like him anymore.

And you follow Trump’s orders to the tee.
Really? Show me 1 post where i "loved" McCain"..EVER

Old 08-28-2018, 10:53 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Not a liberal but will note I voted for him in the GOP primary back in 2000.

I also didn't see him negatively when he was running against Obama back in 2008. I thought he was too old to be president though and that his choice of Palin was a poor one as a VP running mate. I also felt that the country wanted to get away from the GOP and the horrible economic collaspe that was occuring, partially because of GOP/GW Bush policies and Obama campaigning on getting us out of the war in the Middle East.
I did. I don't think he had the right temperament to be President. Looking at Obama, Hillary, and McCain, I think Obama was far and away the best choice. I have a more favorable opinion of McCain as a human being, but I think Hillary would have made a better President (although, IMO, that isn't saying much).

Quote:
I do remember when McCain confronted one of his supporters and put her in her place when she was saying negative things about Obama (that he was a Muslim and/or terrorist). I also remember he never engaged in the "birther" stuff - which Trump was actually a part of.
Yeah, that lady was clueless.

That clip was, IIRC, included in both CNN and Fox's tributes to McCain and, IIRC, that lady said that Obama is an 'Arab'. McCain knew what she was getting at, and exited that moment with a measure of finesse.

Quote:
Other than the above - I've always thought that McCain was a war hero due to his service in the Navy and him being a survivor of Hotel Hanoi in Vietnam. I know people politicize this as well about him but IMO his suffering and experiences in the war - due to the fact that he could have left based on his family's legacy and lineage and prestige of service - speaks volumes to his character.

I don't remember anything overly negative said by liberals about McCain other than that they questioned his mental status due to picking Palin and that he was too old and was a warmonger. None of those are overt negatives on him from a political perspective and all the liberals I know respect his service and his sacrifices for his country.

I think it is odd of you OP and others who agree to believe that liberals viewed McCain extremely negatively prior to Trump's ascension in the GOP. They viewed GW Bush WAY worse than McCain lol.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:56 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Hmm I can understand why Liberals would like McCain, maybe your thread should have started with why do you Republicans suddenly praise McCain? If I had my choice between McCain for president, and yes, I voted for him, or Trump? Hands down it would have been McCain. Was he a perfect man? No, but Trump couldn't carry his gym towel. McCain was a class act. Trump? Don't make me come over there.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:59 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I did. I don't think he had the right temperament to be President. Looking at Obama, Hillary, and McCain, I think Obama was far and away the best choice. I have a more favorable opinion of McCain as a human being, but I think Hillary would have made a better President (although, IMO, that isn't saying much).

Yeah, that lady was clueless.

That clip was, IIRC, included in both CNN and Fox's tributes to McCain and, IIRC, that lady said that Obama is an 'Arab'.

Thanks, I couldn't remember exactly, but I do remember being grateful that he showed some decency. I don't watch broadcast news so haven't seen any tributes.

And note that I also thought in 2008 that he was too old and I questioned his judgement on Palin. I think a significant amount of independents and moderate leaning Democrats judged him based solely on him picking her. IMO it ruined his chances. I think if he'd have picked someone else, he may have beat Obama. She was just soooooo.....yuck lol.

Still cannot really stand her. She was like a cartoon character next to him IMO.

I also did believe he was too war-mongery back then due to things he'd said about foreign affairs. But I think the economic crash was what caused Obama to win. I do remember there being lots of reports and people speaking about how McCain was just going to "continue the Bush policies" and people hated Bush policies by then and everything to do with Bush.

But FWIW I liked Bush way more than I like Trump lol. He at least was personable and not an a$$hole.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:01 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,502,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Really? Show me 1 post where i "loved" McCain"..EVER
It is your thread maybe you have to prove first that your hate for McCain is genuine. Why don't you show us any posts criticizing McCain just make it prior Trump Era. I also believe you were perfectly fine with McCain until he lost to Obama.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:04 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
The obvious way to manipulate Dems is to say the opposite of what Trump really wants. He should pretend he wants open borders, free health care and education for illegals as well as instant citizenship.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:05 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
John, was more of Rebel then anything else he had no problem standing up against his own party if he thought they were going against what he stood and fought for. Even though I’m not of either party MCCain was 100 times a better person then Trump will and could be, that’s what Trump can’t stand about people like McCain people respected him even if they didn’t agree with him.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:09 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,621,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
It is your thread maybe you have to prove first that your hate for McCain is genuine. Why don't you show us any posts criticizing McCain just make it prior Trump Era. I also believe you were perfectly fine with McCain until he lost to Obama.
Um..doesnt work that way, You cant accuse someone of lying and not provide any proof of why you believe it. Dont demand someone else proove you are supposedly right

Old 08-28-2018, 11:17 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
I’m a liberal. Obama had my vote and I miss him and Joe. McCain saved Obamacare at a time when his own health was suffering. A hero to the end. He made mistakes like Palin. He fought for our country more than most. What is stunning to me is the way he’s being treated by Republicans. I’ve never seen anything like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies