Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 05:35 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
True . California also has the highest poverty rate... but but the tech scene!
Kentucky is one of the 10 poorest states in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 05:38 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
wow this house in the area is only $144,000 .

these workers on $70k will be living like kings .

This same house in l.a would be about $1 million or more.
maga!

Last edited by Yac; 11-27-2020 at 01:58 AM..

Old 08-28-2018, 08:40 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Looks like those coal miners can step right into those good jobs.

So much winning.

600 jobs is 600 jobs - of course, don't count your chickens before they hatch. Foxcon snowed Wis. by talkiing about 100's of thousands of jobs and now they say it will be mostly robotic........

Just to keep the basic score. Coal mining at it's peak was about 900,000.

It's 80,000 or less today. If we consider population, you can double the earlier figure or more...(it as in 1920 or so).

So, we are "short" between 800,000 and 1.5 Million depending on how you look at it.

When I lived in Coal Country in the 1970's it was already depopulated and the folks there told us all the young people left for the cities. Here we are 45 years later and Trumpies have a fantasy that those millions of people are still there just waiting around and will jump into these 600 jobs....and all will be well.

I'm happy for people to get good work....but one of these things has nothing to do with the other and neither move the needle.

If things are truly better for many....well, then, real wages wouldn't be the same or down from a year ago, right? After all, if lower wage or unemployed workers are not making 70K, wage growth should far outpace inflation.

But it's not.........so the point is moot.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:01 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Big win for eastern Kentucky , would of never happened without right to work .

——
This June, construction began on an aluminum mill ultimately expected to employ 600 people earning an average salary of roughly $70,000 a year in eastern Kentucky. It wouldn’t have happened without Right to Work.
Appalachian County Welcomes $1.5 Billion Mill

Without Right to Work, Kentucky ‘Wouldn’t Have Been on the List’

On a site located near Ashland in eastern Kentucky’s Greenup County, Braidy Industries Inc. recently began construction on a $1.5 billion rolling aluminum mill that will ultimately employ an estimated 600 people in high-paying jobs.

Braidy CEO Craig Bouchard originally announced that Greenup County would be the location for what is now expected to be a 1.8 million-square-foot facility in April 2017.

Kentucky “wouldn’t have been on the list” of possible sites, he said, had the state not enacted a Right to Work law at the beginning of that year.

https://nrtwc.org/right-to-work-kent...mpression=true
What are their benefits though. Is their healthcare paid for.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:20 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Up here in the northern part of KY, everyone was so happy when Amazon was going to open a handful of distribution centers, I think they have about 10-12 total now, but when I look in the papers, they are always hiring, they have one of the highest employee turnovers in the state.

When I worked there, they even had rules directed at people that would quit on the spot or walk out without giving notice, this really indicated these jobs were not that great like we all thought, normally 'good jobs' at 'good companies' they have no problems like this.

This new mill sounds great on paper, and that area of KY needs jobs, but lets see what it looks like long term.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:02 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Up here in the northern part of KY, everyone was so happy when Amazon was going to open a handful of distribution centers, I think they have about 10-12 total now, but when I look in the papers, they are always hiring, they have one of the highest employee turnovers in the state.

When I worked there, they even had rules directed at people that would quit on the spot or walk out without giving notice, this really indicated these jobs were not that great like we all thought, normally 'good jobs' at 'good companies' they have no problems like this.

This new mill sounds great on paper, and that area of KY needs jobs, but lets see what it looks like long term.
True.

Still, banking $70K in eastern Kentucky entitles you to live like a rock star.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:09 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Big win for eastern Kentucky , would of never happened without right to work .

——
This June, construction began on an aluminum mill ultimately expected to employ 600 people earning an average salary of roughly $70,000 a year in eastern Kentucky. It wouldn’t have happened without Right to Work.
Appalachian County Welcomes $1.5 Billion Mill

Without Right to Work, Kentucky ‘Wouldn’t Have Been on the List’

On a site located near Ashland in eastern Kentucky’s Greenup County, Braidy Industries Inc. recently began construction on a $1.5 billion rolling aluminum mill that will ultimately employ an estimated 600 people in high-paying jobs.

Braidy CEO Craig Bouchard originally announced that Greenup County would be the location for what is now expected to be a 1.8 million-square-foot facility in April 2017.

Kentucky “wouldn’t have been on the list” of possible sites, he said, had the state not enacted a Right to Work law at the beginning of that year.

https://nrtwc.org/right-to-work-kent...mpression=true
You posted an average salary. Do you have a median salary?

Do the prospective workers have to pass a drug test?

Old 08-29-2018, 05:42 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:

Did they make you wear a GPS?

I remember them stationing ambulances outside their warehouses because they would not install air conditioning until shamed into doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
You posted an average salary. Do you have a median salary?

Do the prospective workers have to pass a drug test?
Great point of median vs average. Im betting 70K is the burdened cost, IE 50K +20K for costs and benefits. There are some pretty nice houses for pretty cheap. I also saw a lot of days on market well over 6 months.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:52 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:

I haven’t heard great things about the Amazon warehouse jobs . I know some people that work as independent contractors doing the deliveries for Amazon and that seems to pay decent but of course no benefits too .
In L.A it seems to pay $20 hour or more and I believe some people get tips. Seems hard to get hours so I doubt people are able to work doing it full time and no benefits of course since it’s independent contractor work and using your own car and gas

Old 08-29-2018, 05:57 AM

2,662 posts, read 1,376,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Terrible news for union bosses and their Democrat cohorts. Their millions are pennies short now!
Yep...we should all do away with our union protections forthwith! All hail big business ownership and management! They will treat us right...just like the robber barons did during the good ol' laissez faire days of the Gilded Age!
Now...if we can just get rid of those pesky environmental, wage, and safety regulations....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies