Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2018, 01:42 PM

304 posts, read 160,498 times

Advertisements

With the vacancy on the supreme court and lets face it without something major a confirmation there is a vocal but relatively small minority of the religious right that believe to landmark cases.

Namely Roe V wade, and the legalization of gay marriage is (in their eyes) all but certain to be overturned and Christianity will rule over the land (even though by many surveys the people who claim to be atheist, agnostic, no religious affiliation is slowly growing while all other regions are slowly declining)

Besides the fact that I personally think the GOP wants to legal to keep the carrot on a stick for the evangelicals lets say it is overturned. Why should it be?

Now when reading the constitution the 1st amendment says Congress shall make no low abridging freedom of religion. If my belief is believe in many gods or no gods or pull a Homer Simpsons and declare "I don't believe in Jebus" I am legally allowed to. We as a nation or under no obligation to follow any form of scripture. A Jewish elected official can swear in on the torah, a Muslim a Quran, hell some have opted to swear on a book of law instead of a holy book Now This one comes before the gun amendment so obviously this was important to the founding fathers. There is no asterisk next to freedom of religion. In fact the constitution CLEARLY states "No Religious Test" But I just want to play a game for all my GOP/evangelical friends

Now, for the record I do believe that Churches and other places of worship or places funded through religious institutions like a religious school or hospital should have leeway. When my wife wanted her tubes ties we went to a non-denominational hospital because the catholic hospital said no and they were within their rights as a diocese funded hospital to refuse our request (we didn't even bother to ask as there are signs all over the maternity ward about it). I believe if a church refuses to acknowledge or perform a same sex wedding they are within their rights. I am talking about things at a State/Local/Federal level Please give me a NON-RELIGIOUS reason why the following should be outlawed.

Abortion (while i disagree with people using it as a form of birth control that's a very small percentage, most people struggle terribly and don't come to the decision easily, as some people say would you want your daughter to carry her rapist baby)

birth-control (when used correctly prevents conception, no conception = no life begins, also easier access to birth control will equal less abortions)

Gay marriage (don't give me because it prevents children straight couple chose not to have kids all the time)

homosexuality in general (you cant be a "small government conservative" and want this outlawed if you want the government off your back you also want them off your genitals, also when does it matter what consenting adults (the 2 most important words here) do)

Last edited by dannyboy84; 09-07-2018 at 02:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 01:45 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
I would add marijuana to that list. While it's not at the top of their list, the religious right is a major reason it's still illegal. If you want to see a "small-government conservative" quickly embrace nanny-statism, bring up marijuana.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:35 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Roe V wade is not going anywhere despite the fear mongering from the Left that it is.

Gay marriage is another more recent ruling that isn't going to change.

Legal Marijuana is making headway in many states and will eventually be legal nation wide.

What really gets me about legal pot is that so many voted for it in my state and it passed but now we have the same people that voted for it trying to block a pot shop from opening in their town or their neighborhood? I guess they are all for it but not in their backyards.

I don't know why the Dems are flipping out over the Kavanaugh nomination. Nothing is going to change as we know it but America might just be preserved a while longer.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:41 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
Roe v Wade is not going anywhere.

That being said abortion is wrong. Has NOTHING to do with religion. Taking the life of a defenseless human is wrong. The abortion argument boils down to this: What determines personhood? It's not about equality, feminist principle, reproductive rights, or religious belief. It is about what defines a person. If you don't think it's a person, you don't care if you kill the baby in the womb. If you believe it's a person -- which has nothing to do with religion -- then you know it's wrong to kill a baby in the womb. Act of aggression vs do no harm. Moral principle, not religious.

Gay marriage? Change every govt approved marriage license to a civil union and tell people to get 'married' in churches. Problem solved.

As far of outlawing BC or homosexuality, I know of no group that has either of those views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies