Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2018, 02:09 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
If football is doing fine then what's the problem? Why the need for players to explain themselves? Why the need to "read and understand"? Why the need for the league to try to look like it is doing something about it? They should just tell us to pizz off if we don't like it. I know I'm happy to.
Football is doing great. It's the number one rated show on six different channels. Sunday Night Football on NBC was the most watched television show in 2017. Ten of the top twenty most watched programs in the US in 2017 were NFL games. The 111 million people who watched the Super Bowl had 132% more viewers than the second most watched program of 2017: the AFC Championship game. So throw your temper tantrums if you must - - you weren't that much of a football fan in the first place. The rest of us are ready for the season to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 02:12 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

That isn't an argument. As a vet that served in one of Americas war, what these guys need to know is they need me vastly more than I need them. They aren't engendering any affection when they spend their time insulting me.
And as a vet in one of America's war, you don't speak for all vets. In fact my Dad (Vietnam) and Best Man (Iraq) would rip into your point of view viciously. They fought to protect the rights these football players are enacting. And you're insulting what my patriots fought for.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:19 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
And as a vet in one of America's war, you don't speak for all vets. In fact my Dad (Vietnam) and Best Man (Iraq) would rip into your point of view viciously. They fought to protect the rights these football players are enacting. And you're insulting what my patriots fought for.
not trying. don't care.
nor did I suggest there isn't a "right".

The right they enjoy is that the government has not come after them for the act. They do not enjoy a right that states I cannot be offended by their offensive act.

TheDonald has not violated their "right"

The instul here Tristramshandy is that you have clearly and articulately expressed complete ignorance as to what your "patriots" fought for.

I bet those patriots of yours would disagree with me on the act and wheither or not I should be offended, but I also bet they know full well what a right is and what it isn't.

I didn't talk about "rights". that's yet another boondoggle for the ignorant. come with something worth discussing and stop playing misdirection.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:24 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
If football is doing fine then what's the problem? Why the need for players to explain themselves? Why the need to "read and understand"? Why the need for the league to try to look like it is doing something about it? They should just tell us to pizz off if we don't like it. I know I'm happy to.
Quote:
Football is doing great. It's the number one rated show on six different channels. Sunday Night Football on NBC was the most watched television show in 2017. Ten of the top twenty most watched programs in the US in 2017 were NFL games. The 111 million people who watched the Super Bowl had 132% more viewers than the second most watched program of 2017: the AFC Championship game. So throw your temper tantrums if you must - - you weren't that much of a football fan in the first place. The rest of us are ready for the season to start.
Again, so what's the problem then?

Old 08-29-2018, 02:41 PM

17,792 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

That isn't an argument. As a vet that served in one of Americas war, what these guys need to know is they need me vastly more than I need them. They aren't engendering any affection when they spend their time insulting me.
I think the players next move is to kneel for the anthem in honor of our "vets" to demonstrate how ridiculous the "insulting the vets/flag/USA" actually is.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:57 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
President Trump, NFL fans, and random internet posters can engage in all sorts of bluster, but at the end of the day, the owners are on very shaky ground regarding squelching protected pollical speech, and they know it.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:44 PM

1,239 posts, read 510,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
I don't need to read or understand anything. End of story.
This post illustrates the conservative mindset perfectly.

Thank You

As for Football. I've never met someone who gave a **** about the guys kneeling. We watch the game, we're busy drinking, eating and talking before the first kickoff.
The only annoying part is how much media attention this continues to get. We now know why the guys were protesting. Some people care about the plight of innocent black people, and how they're treated by police, and other people are just pieces of crap who aren't going to change their mind.

I like what the NFL proposed, of having the guys who want to protest, stay in the locker room. Their absence will be noticed by those who care.

I also like ESPNs new policy. We don't need to see the anthem on TV. We know that the only reason the NFL even has the players on the field for the anthem is because they get paid for it. It's not patriotism, it's greed.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:55 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Vietnam combat vet here. I agree that the players have a right to “enact” any damn fool thing they want. Now you have to give the rest of us the right to call them ignorant hypocritical jackasses who make a fortune smashing each other senseless and assuming that that gives them the right to lecture us on social justice.

We’re not insulting anything. We just hold a different opinion than you. Attack us viciously and we’ll hit back — which is OUR right.

Got it?

Old 08-29-2018, 03:57 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Vietnam combat vet here. I agree that the players have a right to “enact” any damn fool thing they want. Now you have to give the rest of us the right to call them ignorant hypocritical jackasses who make a fortune smashing each other senseless and assuming that that gives them the right to lecture us on social justice.

We’re not insulting anything. We just hold a different opinion than you. Attack us viciously and we’ll hit back — which is OUR right.

Got it?
What qualifies anyone to opine about such matters? People here on C-D do it all the time.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:09 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
What qualifies anyone to opine about such matters? People here on C-D do it all the time.
Sending a big old Q.E.D. to you.

Welcome aboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies