Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 02:12 PM

8,543 posts, read 10,962,618 times

Advertisements

I just finished posting in another thread that was discussing Trump, and the nfl players who kneel during the playing of the national anthem.

In that thread, a link was posted to an article written by Kareem JaBar.
We all know who he is.
This got me to thinking, and now it's time to vent.

I absolutely see it as a disgraceful, disrespectful action, when these highly paid athletes kneel when the national anthem is being played.

Any problems that blacks have in this country, is solely because rather than stand up for change, they sat on their dumb asses, and did nothing but complain.

When they should have been in direct communication with elected officials, who have the power, and resources to bring about change, they chose to march in the streets, where nothing get's accomplished.

Kareem is no better, except he wasn't out in the street marching.
This man has made million of dollars here in the United States, but still is pissin and moaning that blacks have nothing They have no "piece of the pie".

Why he has not used his money, and his notoriety to seek positive change, is beyond me.

One of the influential politicians in Washington(Maxine Waters) lives not far from him.
She is black, and pulls weight in the nation's capitol.
Why has he not taken it upon himself to talk with this woman in congress to seek change?
It all goes back to what I stated before, blacks expect whitey to do all the changing, and in fact they (blacks) require that.
This is why nothing get's done concerning blacks in this country.

Been to Detroit lately? I have not(thank God)
From what I see, and read, it is probably the most deplorable city in the country.
No one bothers to ask why, and this includes all races, and worst of all, all politicians.
Has everyone just given up and look at Detroit as a lost cause?
What ever the problems in Detroit, it should, and can be fixed, if people get involved.
When everyone sits back and ignores the problem, Detroit is the outcome.

Blacks in this country do not deserve anything more than the rest of the population, and the lesson they have not learned yet is, do it yourselves, of it isn't going to get done.
There are "ears" in Washington, and blacks need to take advantage of that.
Running wild in the streets, demanding change, is not going to do anything constructive for the blacks in this country.

Were I a black citizen of this country, the first thing I would do is to get contact information of every black politician in congress.
One way or the other(even if it took a computer in a local library) I would contact these reps, and arrange
to meet with them.
If I had to first approach local officials to raise money for my trip to the capitol, I would do that.
I would come prepared with enough information so these politicians could evaluate the situations.

At this point in this post some will state, many blacks are not educated, and could never do what you are suggesting.
This is more than likely the case, but that should not stop any black from going to people who do have a better education, and asking them to get involved.

That is the problem, no one wants to get involved.
They would rather sit home and do nothing, and expect it will happen.

Well, I have news for them, and anyone else that is depressed, and seeking change, and opportunity.

Get off your duff, or things will always be as they are now.

Protesting in the street, or on the football field is counter productive.
It will change nothing.
These people need, as I stated above, to get involved with people who are in a position to seek change.
What ever is causing blacks to demonstrate in the street, or kneel in disrespect to our country at a sporting event, should be telling the rest of us, something is wrong.

Many of us are disgusted at this blatant show of disrespect for our country, and that includes our President.
There are no easy answers, but that should not stop those who are in positions to do something about it.

To turn a blind eye as though nothing is happening is wrong.

Bob.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:17 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,447,916 times
Meh ...

It is about the most reverent posture I can think of, to make a point. We ought to all reflect upon what it means to these people that they will endure our ridicule and very real threats in order to bring to light this issue so dear to them.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:33 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,137,616 times
No, what's really disrespectful is people who try to curtail the freedom of speech of others.

What's also very bizarre is the way that so many people forget that kneeling is in fact a traditional sign of respect.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:40 PM

25,684 posts, read 18,770,132 times
They are basically kicking their fans, nation, and sport in the nads. Personally, I don't really care. They are overpaid for doing something that is really not all that important when you think about it. The garbage collector is more important to the functioning of society. I occasionally watch a baseball game. That's the extent of my sports experience. And hoisting the middle finger (that's what it boils down to) hasn't been an issue with MLB as of yet. If and when it is, well, there will be no more occasional baseball games in my life.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:42 PM

20,090 posts, read 8,995,406 times
the NFL is giving these players a means to protest -- just stay in the locker room during the National Anthem.

Why would that be a problem? They are after all just employees.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:42 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
No, what's really disrespectful is people who try to curtail the freedom of speech of others.

hence the push back against PC language

Quote:
What's also very bizarre is the way that so many people forget that kneeling is in fact a traditional sign of respect.

when dealing with heads of state, you kneel before the monarchy, and other world leaders. you bow to some world leaders, unless you are on the same level they are.

but you STAND to salute the flag of each country, not kneel.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:51 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:

At no time did Colin Kapernick state that he was kneeling in respect for the flag. He was kneeling because he stated that "black people are oppressed" in this country, which is a load of *******s.

Freedom of Speech does not mean "freedom from criticism".

Old 08-28-2018, 05:22 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Quote:

Criticism is not curtailment. Anyone is free to express virtually whatever they wish. If, like the NFL players, their thoughts are fraught with hypocisy and ignorance, the rest of us are perfectly free to point out their ingratitude and childishness.

Or are you disrespectfully trying to curtail OUR freedom of speech?

Do only brain-damaged thugs get to speak in your America?

Old 08-28-2018, 05:23 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
When I create a thread, or post a reply to someone else's post, I stay on topic.
This thread is about blacks , not about Trumps dislike for McCain.
If you want to talk about that subject, do it in another thread.

Bob.
You post a thread to aimlessly rant about American citiens exercising their rights in this country. Agree or disagree, you have no right to tell them they can't.

You also clearly are not black nor have much exposure to what it is like for many of them. Yes, they could be more productive in seeking change in their station. The issue you run into is their neighborhoods are already neglected and serviced last. That's something that takes generations to change. In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't long ago they had to use separate bathrooms.

Ponderosa is more than welcome to counter with the disgraceful, disrespectful behavior coming from the highest office in our country. An office that intentionally divides the people and carries on like an illiterate ignoaramous. It is that fool after all that is making the kneeling out to be a big issue when frankly he should put a sock in it, atop spending so much time on vacation, and remember he actually has a job.

Seriously. The sack of **** will carry on day after day about the football players, meanwhile he's totally behaved in a disrespectful manner regarding the passing of Senator McCain. It doesn't matter if you like him or not, tradition calls for the flag at half mast till he is buried.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:23 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
the NFL is giving these players a means to protest -- just stay in the locker room during the National Anthem.

Why would that be a problem? They are after all just employees.
If I employed them, they would be fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.