Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 12:33 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times

Advertisements

Just a reminder how F up our health system is. If you end up getting treatment form a hospital that is out of network or even if you are in an in-network hospital but the physician treating you is not in-network; you can end up in financial ruin.

Quote:

Life-Threatening Heart Attack Leaves Teacher With $108,951 Bill

Surprise bills occur when a patient goes to a hospital in his insurance network but receives treatment from a doctor who does not participate in the network, resulting in a direct bill to the patient. They can also occur in cases like Calver's, where insurers will pay for needed emergency care at the closest hospital — even if it is out of network — but the hospital and the insurer may not agree on a reasonable price. The hospital then demands that patients pay the difference, in a practice called balance billing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 12:47 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
I'm sure we'll be seeing a bunch of "do your research to make sure the doctor is in your network" posts here. Kinda hard to do that when you are having a heart attack.

If you have to do research into what doctor you can/cannot visit, maybe there's something fundamentally wrong with our healthcare system.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:52 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm sure we'll be seeing a bunch of "do your research to make sure the doctor is in your network" posts here. Kinda hard to do that when you are having a heart attack.

If you have to do research into what doctor you can/cannot visit, maybe there's something fundamentally wrong with our healthcare system.
That's not the issue. What people need to do is not freak out and do exactly what it states at the end of the article. This happens a lot and it eventually gets sorted out. It's just easier to read the headline and post something that isn't necessarily even a news story.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:58 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Teacher With Health Insurance Gets a $108,951 Bill
We need to vote in a government who will resolve the health care issue once and for all. Get rid of people who are more interested in sabotaging the system than fixing it.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:59 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
Well we don't send our best to the hosp.

If they are to stupid to know what's in their insurance.
They are to stupid to decide what insurance everyone else should have too.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:01 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,344,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
That's not the issue. What people need to do is not freak out and do exactly what it states at the end of the article. This happens a lot and it eventually gets sorted out. It's just easier to read the headline and post something that isn't necessarily even a news story.
Right because when you have health insurance and are recovering from a heart attack the first thing on your mind should be the crippling 100k debt and talking with HR, doctors and billing agents to get it waived. Perfectly normal in your bizzaro world where this should be going on and we shouldn't be trying to fix the underlying problem in the first place.

NBD right?

Real men boot strap themselves off that table and tell the doc and heart attack you'll wait for someone in network!

Old 08-27-2018, 01:04 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
We need to vote in a government who will resolve the health care issue once and for all. Get rid of people who are more interested in sabotaging the system than fixing it.
I'm sure you think its the gov. who will solve all your problems and I'm just as sure they won't.

I'm just basing my opinion on their track record, not the liberal broken record.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:06 PM

2,362 posts, read 778,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post

Old 08-27-2018, 01:08 PM

2,362 posts, read 778,612 times
Quote:
I'm sure you think its the gov. who will solve all your problems and I'm just as sure they won't.

I'm just basing my opinion on their track record, not the liberal broken record.
The government is there to make the lives of its citizens better. It solves many problems such as building roads, providing infrastructure for electricity and plumbing, raising a military, and educating tens of millions a kids each year. Why shouldn't it provide healthcare?

Old 08-27-2018, 01:09 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

Absolutely.

In the case of an out-of-network doctor practicing at an in-network hospital, how would you even go about researching that? You can't determine on a day-to-day basis who's going to be working at a hospital's ER, or know for sure which doctor will be assigned to your case. How can you begin to research that?

The whole idea of a doctor being out-of-network at an in-network hospital is ridiculous beyond logic. Any medical professional seeing patients at an in-network hospital should be in-network. Period.

Quote:

Ummmmm ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies