Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 04:16 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times

Advertisements

Did any of you bailbond-defenders read before posting?

"A person whose risk to public safety and risk of failure to appear is determined to be “low” would be released with the least restrictive nonmonetary conditions possible.
“Medium-risk” individuals could be released or held depending on local standards.
“High-risk” individuals would remain in custody until their arraignment, as would anyone who has committed certain sex crimes or violent felonies, is arrested for driving under the influence for the third time in less than 10 years, is already under supervision by the courts or has violated any conditions of pretrial release in the previous five years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 04:16 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And then right after that, abolish laws altogether...

This is the kind of dumb hyperbole that gives right-wingers their reputation.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:59 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Did any of you bailbond-defenders read before posting?

"A person whose risk to public safety and risk of failure to appear is determined to be “low” would be released with the least restrictive nonmonetary conditions possible.
“Medium-risk” individuals could be released or held depending on local standards.
“High-risk” individuals would remain in custody until their arraignment, as would anyone who has committed certain sex crimes or violent felonies, is arrested for driving under the influence for the third time in less than 10 years, is already under supervision by the courts or has violated any conditions of pretrial release in the previous five years.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:44 PM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times
I am not a liberal but I am for civil liberties.

My first reaction was California passed it so it must be a bad idea. Then I read the details and realized it was a smart move.

This means low risk non violent offenders will get out in 12 hours. They would get out the way it is now but with posting a bond. Many can't afford the bond so they sit in jail. That is not right and they at this point have not been convicted of anything.

Higher risk people would not get out period. As it is now they might have a higher bond and get out. Better for them to be locked up.

I don't see a big risk to the public on this. And they can be forced to wear ankle bracelets. Only problem is if they do not show up to trial. That happens now all the time if Dog the Bounty Hunter is any example. If this turns out to be successful hopefully we end the bail system nationwide.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:58 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
More accurate thread title: "Right-wingers collectively go postal at loss of one way to systemically screw poor people and minorities"

Old 08-28-2018, 07:55 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
The Governor of California just signed SB10 , eliminating bail in California .

“Today, California reforms its bail system so that rich and poor alike are treated fairly,” Brown said in a statement.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...217461380.html
Actually, California has had a history of being the toughest on crime. They were one of the first to implement the Three Strikes Law and you are out. The results have been overcrowding prisons and higher taxes for petty crimes.

They are seeing that it is not working and are doing things to take it in another direction.
Removing the profit incentive is a good step. Also removing victimless crimes like smoking a plant has helped.

Lowering your taxes is a good thing, no?

Old 08-28-2018, 08:18 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,944,881 times
I'm a criminal defense attorney- this is definitely a good change that needs to be adopted in more states. Can't tell you how many times I've had a young/dumb/poor kid sit in jail for >than the typical sentence handed out on a case because he couldn't post bail. Hard to not realize what its like to be that poor when you have never been that poor but 100 bucks can keep some people in jail in perpetuity.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:37 PM

8,549 posts, read 10,973,619 times
Not to worry, this stupidity is only going to last until Cox is elected governor.
He will rescind this bill as one of his first priorities.

Bob.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:05 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Not to worry, this stupidity is only going to last until Cox is elected governor.
He will rescind this bill as one of his first priorities.

Bob.
No I think this thread backfired..

Old 08-28-2018, 11:08 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
I'm a criminal defense attorney- this is definitely a good change that needs to be adopted in more states. Can't tell you how many times I've had a young/dumb/poor kid sit in jail for >than the typical sentence handed out on a case because he couldn't post bail. Hard to not realize what its like to be that poor when you have never been that poor but 100 bucks can keep some people in jail in perpetuity.
If they didn’t commit the crime they wouldn’t have this problem in the first place . As a criminal defense attorney I’m sure you know that most people arrested did commit the crime .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies