Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2018, 10:51 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times

Advertisements

This isn't a raise. It's a cost of living increase. Without the cost of living increase, it essentially means you are making less money than you did previously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 10:58 AM

3,079 posts, read 1,544,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
This isn't a raise. It's a cost of living increase. Without the cost of living increase, it essentially means you are making less money than you did previously.
According to govt sources the avg federal civilian worker makes almost 90,000/yr and that doesnt include the benefit pkg. im suppose to feel sorry for them because they didnt get a pay raise? I dont think so!

Old 08-31-2018, 10:59 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,340,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Out of a total of 2.1 million federal employees, there are 500,000 who make over $100,000 a year.
That's absurd.
https://wjla.com/news/local/federal-...s-half-million
You can't compare the structure of the federal government to your local Walmart. The Fed jobs are heavily weighted professional.

Too, the idea of corporate outsourcing spread to government with agencies turning to contractors - for IT support (which was necessary) and for basic operational support (low-level, low-paid jobs). That was also a political plus because it kept the number of total employees down even while costs to often over-paid contractors increased.

Worse, government services declined because the contract employees often tended to be of much lower caliber (again, profits maximized to the contractor by hiring rock bottom cheap) with more frequent turnover than long-standing employees who both knew what they were doing and were motivated by connections to their employer and fellow employees.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:00 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
To me the point is how can you claim the best economy ever AND a national economic emergency that stops you from congressionally approved pay raises?
You lie.

My guess is that the reason for this is Trump trying to take a dig at the FBI, DOJ, etc. He's pissed so he's acting like the tantrum-throwing toddler he is.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:14 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,340,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I did a fellowship at a federal agency, and I mostly agree with you. A lot of federal government work is so heavily administrative that top positions being filled by PhDs could be done by much “less expensive” employees; so in that sense, many are overpaid. One of the reasons that PhDs that get professional-level positions stay in the federal government for their whole careers is that they don’t develop or maintain a lot of transferable skills. So they wouldn’t have the CVs to be competitive for academics or industry/private sector. That is why they have a lot of fear and panic around the time of potential government shutdowns.

There are definitely exceptions. Intramural scientists and clinicians could and are definitely recruited from the outside. Also, some of the top positions in the federal government are filled by people who had a full, successful career in academia or the private sector, and they take federal positions as their final career move. I’ve found these to be the hardest working federal employees I came across. Many career feds had a 9-5 mentality that they would not be able to get away with outside of the federal government. Also, there was so much teleworking when I was in my fellowship, which was really strange. Nobody was ever in the office. I get teleworking can be productive, but there is something about actually coming into the office. It just seemed like another very lax trait of career feds.
There's some truth to what you say but your observations may have been different a decade or so ago. As I just mentioned, there's been extensive outsourcing of basic functions to non-governmental contract employees a portion of whom demonstrate incompetencies to where their job functions fall back onto the "principals" - who struggle to perform at their mandated professional level with nowhere near the support sometimes (for this is a corporate trend, too) found outside government.

And, yes, at some level there is reduced transferability between industry/private sector and government as experience narrows.

Part of this is due to a different orientation between their defined functions but (and this is a bureaucratic problem) some is due to the rigidity of governmental hiring practices. It is one of the non-monetary "costs" paid by the governmental employee for who would not prefer the flexibility of moving easily among different positions within government - which would then better qualify for non-governmental experience.

There are a number of factors involved with no doubt room for reform. But the basic concept of government is not broken with token gestures like the Trump move not particularly helpful.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:19 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,540 times
Federal employee here. Who in these fora think that everyone should get the same annual raise percentage regardless of performance or potential? Is that how your civilian job rewards employees? It wasn't when I occupied one.

Providing a raise to an employee for simply existing in a job is a bad idea. The only place it really works is in the military and even then, mil jobs with transferable skills are often padded with sizable reenlistment bonuses.

In the last couple years, the federal government has implemented a new evaluation system that allows employees and their supervisors to define core performance objectives and revisit those goals through scheduled feedback sessions. It's then up to the employee to perform. It's up to the employee to show interest in and complete professional development goals. The degree to which those things are accomplished determines the value to the org and, to wit, the amount of raise a person might receive. It might be more than 2.6%. It might be less. At least there is some measure of objectivity in earning the raise other than just standing there breathing. We are in the first year now. I'll revisit this thread if it's not closed and let you know how it turned out.

Now, step-increases (longevity-in-grade) will still be in effect. So people will still receive periodic raises provided they are not capped out. Nothing has changed except that poor performance will be documented and remedied one way or the other. You do want the best employees for your money, right? This is a step in the right direction.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:21 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,931,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Great to see, as Feds will issue merit raises based on individual performance.
Actually, that part of Trump's move I can agree with. Govt pay raises should be handled like any major corporation, which typically means that employees are evaluated for performance, and they get a raise ranging from 0 to x%. Employees who did a satisfactory, but not exceptional, job would get a default percentage increase, say 2.5%. Stellar employees get more. Poor performers get nothing which, after inflation, amounts to a pay cut.

Problem is that it takes some time to set up such a system. If Trump announced that this would happen starting in 2020, that would be OK.

I also want to point out that with inflation now running at 2.9%, even the 1.9% raise approved by the Senate is a de facto pay cut.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:47 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...workers-804574

As the article notes, and as I certainly recall, President Obama had frozen Federal wages due to the recession.

Now, we have been told by Mr. Trump that the economy is doing fantastic. Yet, in his letter to Congress justifying his cancellation of the Federal raise in pay (2.1 percent), he cites the nation's 'fiscal situation'.

What? I thought the Tax Reform Act would fix everything. Lower the national debt, increase tax revenues, etc.

I believe that the military will still get their raises. However, Border Patrol and ICE agents will not.

Happy Labor Day?

There is just no end to his spiteful ways.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:57 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
According to govt sources the avg federal civilian worker makes almost 90,000/yr and that doesnt include the benefit pkg. im suppose to feel sorry for them because they didnt get a pay raise? I dont think so!
Are you aware that certain areas have higher costs of living? I am a govie, and I make 108k, but I live in Northern VA, which has an extremely high COL.

I don’t know if you are a Trump fan, but, man, most Trump fans have such one dimensional thinking. It’s like they don’t understand nuance and complex issues.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:01 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
According to govt sources the avg federal civilian worker makes almost 90,000/yr and that doesnt include the benefit pkg
Link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies