Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 11:53 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,453,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You forgot one correction (I know, it's hard to keep up with the knee-jerk misinformation in this thread): Aldrin's name is Buzz, not Buss. Who are these "leftists", and where/when did they say these things? "His" is the operative word here Did it not? Were U.S. citizens the only ones to read about and watch the moon walk? Another operative phrase. Chose. Another operative word Gosling "thinks" exactly how Armstrong lived out the rest of his life.

Sorry that doesn't mesh with the brain-dead, lockstep, fist-pumping "'murica" narrative.
Nastiness, Mr literal & plain personal attack won't win you this argument. It's a sign that you don't have one.

But it is fine indication of the mindset behind the justification of this agenda driven narrative about the Moon landings that now have nothing to do with history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 12:16 PM

14,463 posts, read 11,229,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
WSJ opinion piece on how thew exclusion of Churchill was a deliberate attempt to "disconnect the event from its time" - sadly, it has slipped behind the paywall.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-dum...irk-1500592065

And here's John Podhorestz in the Weekly Standard.

https://www.weeklystandard.com/john-...unkirk-2009029

Both examples of right-wingers being upset about a filmmaker failing to include something. The Dunkirk movie in their heads was different and better.
C'mon Dane, the movie was seriously lacking context, if I hadn't known beforehand what happened at Dunkirk, I would have been confused as hell. These articles simply outline that same concern.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:18 PM

14,463 posts, read 11,229,390 times
Quote:
<cough>von Braun<cough>
<cough>Robert Goddard<cough>

Old 09-04-2018, 12:27 PM

46,861 posts, read 25,803,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
C'mon Dane, the movie was seriously lacking context, if I hadn't known beforehand what happened at Dunkirk, I would have been confused as hell. These articles simply outline that same concern.
Speaking for myself, the weird-ass timeline interweaving had me confused as hell at least in the beginning. Cleverly done, but one of those clever tricks that get in the way of the story.

We will have to disagree on the need for a historical context - I think it works just fine as a depiction of scared nameless men fighting for their lives and the heights and depths they achieve. But of course I know the story very well and can't really separate my experience from that, so perhaps I'm wrong.

Thing is, I'm extremely hesitant to blame an artist for omitting something. It smacks of me saying "I want you to tell a different story!", and the artist 100% has the right to tell me "I'll tell whichever story I bloody well want, nobody's forcing you to listen." Goes double for filmmaking - a writer can add half a dozen pages, a filmmaker has to cut brutally.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
<cough>Robert Goddard<cough>
Bit of an indirect influence on Apollo, wouldn't you say?

Old 09-04-2018, 01:10 PM

1,991 posts, read 893,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Let's see. What have the leftists said about going to the Moon?
  • 1968 - "Whitey On The Moon" - America's priorities are completely wrong.
  • 2018 - America didn't have anything to do with it. - Globalist thing.
50 years of derangement. It has to be seen to be believed.

And what do the righties say about going to the moon?

That it was faked! You are right, 50 years of derangement are indeed hard to believe.

***Alex Jones***

Old 09-04-2018, 01:41 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,084,750 times
As someone else stated, “I think people are romanticizing the footage and forget what it actually looked like. No doubt it was an epic moment in the history of mankind and exciting to witness, but it wasn't like Armstrong marched out of the lander and valiantly planted it in the ground. The actual moment is a few minutes of Aldrin and Armstrong struggling to get it put together and awkwardly attempting about a dozen times to get it to actually stick in the ground, even almost dropping it at one point. It really isn't the most cinematic thing to portray in a film. Maybe the director decided it was better to show the flag in the ground than the repeated clumsy attempts at it that could come across as comical and ruin the tone the movie is meant to convey.”

Old 09-04-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
As someone else stated, “I think people are romanticizing the footage and forget what it actually looked like. No doubt it was an epic moment in the history of mankind and exciting to witness, but it wasn't like Armstrong marched out of the lander and valiantly planted it in the ground. The actual moment is a few minutes of Aldrin and Armstrong struggling to get it put together and awkwardly attempting about a dozen times to get it to actually stick in the ground, even almost dropping it at one point. It really isn't the most cinematic thing to portray in a film. Maybe the director decided it was better to show the flag in the ground than the repeated clumsy attempts at it that could come across as comical and ruin the tone the movie is meant to convey.”
That's an interesting angle, hadn't considered that. And you're right - it wasn't a smooth operation by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:09 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,749,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post

So? Who said that Armstrong "marched out of the lander and valiantly planted [the flag]" on the moon? Those of us who saw it, didn't find it "comical," BTW. But the fact that it was difficult to plant is all the more reason to stick to the reality of the moment.

If anyone is looking to "romanticize" the event, that just might be the director--who thinks viewers might have chuckled at a true depiction because he didn't know how to effectively film the scene.

Notwithstanding that, though, we have the words of the French-Canadian director, explaining the decision. That's all we need to know.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:09 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,084,750 times
Quote:
That's an interesting angle, hadn't considered that. And you're right - it wasn't a smooth operation by any stretch of the imagination.
Also I think the flag was blown over when the lander launched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies