Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 09:03 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times

Advertisements

The Cato Institute is the world’s leading libertarian think tank. And you need to care about what they think, many R thinking heads, like Alan Greenspan and Ben Bernanke, take what they say very seriously. Several Nobel Prize winners are associated with Cato.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Sounds like libertarians just take some of the worst policies from the left and right.
Nope, they have a very coherent world view, based on nearly total freedom for the individual, the primacy of property rights, and totally free markets. To just think of them as splitting the difference between Rs and Ds is lazy thinking.

Frankly, this lefty is utterly astounded that I am explaining this very basic political information to a bunch of righties. If you don’t know this, I have to wonder what on earth you do know? The Koch brothers fund Rs the way that Soros funds Ds. You’d better learn something about them if you expect to understand what is going on in your own damn party.

Last edited by jacqueg; 08-30-2018 at 09:19 PM..

Old 08-30-2018, 09:13 PM

31,046 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Every "leftist" I've known is against open borders. No one wants open borders. How would we even be a country without borders?

The left and the right don't disagree on this. This thread isn't about leftists or rightists. What on earth is the CATO institute? Never mind, I don't care. Few Americans want open borders; it's a non issue.
Really? The Left is pushing us closer to Open borders with every move they make? Sanctuary Cities and DACA pretty much encourage people to illegally cross our border, have children here, and get a free pass to stay. It's not like these moves would discourage people from illegally coming here, would they? Just the opposite

Pure Libertarians and Liberals just happen to agree on issue.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:17 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Nope, they have a very coherent world view, based on nearly total freedom for the individual, the primacy of property rights, and totally free markets.

Frankly, this lefty is utterly astounded that I am explaining this very basic political information to a bunch of righties. If you don’t know this, I have to wonder what on earth you do know? The Koch brothers fund Rs the way that Soros funds Ds. You’d better learn something about them if you expect to understand what is going on in your own damn party.
I believe they have fantasy world view just like liberals often have. Their ideas couldn't possibly work outside of a small, isolated and homogenized village of people like the Amish if that. At best their ideas basically existed in small white towns prior to about 1920 to 1930. The world has completely changed and their ideas would lead to complete chaos and anarchy today, or at least something more like latin America or at least worse than shanty towns in America of the past.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:17 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Really? The Left is pushing us closer to Open borders with every move they make? Sanctuary Cities and DACA pretty much encourage people to illegally cross our border, have children here, and get a free pass to stay. It's not like these moves would discourage people from illegally coming here, would they? Just the opposite

Pure Libertarians and Liberals just happen to agree on issue.
There are no open borders, just an impossible situation in spite of our efforts.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I believe they have fantasy world view just like liberals often have. Their ideas couldn't possibly work outside of a small, isolated and homogenized village of people like the Amish if that. At best their ideas basically existed in small white towns prior to about 1920 to 1930. The world has completely changed and their ideas would lead to complete chaos and anarchy today, or at least something more like latin America or at least worse than shanty towns in America of the past.
Shrug. I’m not a libertarian, so I’m not defending them. And libertarian thinkers don’t have much influence on my party. But they have a huge influence on the thinking of congressional R leaders like Paul Ryan and the thinking of economic conservatives. This influence is at least 30 years old, so it has been affecting Rs for quite some time. Yet apparently many R voters don’t know it. SMDH.

Or maybe it’s just c-d Rs. I dunno.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:28 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
You are either for deporting all the illegals we can and opposing their presences, and for reducing mass, globalized immigration or you are not and are for open borders. Liberals aren't fooling anyone.
I’m for reducing illegal immigration, but I want the DACA kids to stay and be allowed permanent status. I know quite a few people who have been here since they were little and the US is effectively the only country they have ever known.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:30 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Quote:
You are either for deporting all the illegals we can and opposing their presences, and for reducing mass, globalized immigration or you are not and are for open borders. Liberals aren't fooling anyone.
The only one being fooled is yourself....keep telling yourself what you want to hear.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:35 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I’m for reducing illegal immigration, but I want the DACA kids to stay and be allowed permanent status. I know quite a few people who have been here since they were little and the US is effectively the only country they have ever known.
Then how are you for reducing illegal immigration? If you give DACA amnesty status all you've done is increase the draw for illegal immigration.

These DACA people know the culture of the nation their parents are from about as good as they know America. They try to set up and live in communities like where they're from. Don't fool yourself.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:39 PM

31,046 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
And DAPA?

The problem with DACA and DAPA and even Reagan's Amnesty, is that it rewards people who break laws from the very beginning. Which just encourages more and more people to Illegally come here in a never ending cycle.

DACA and DAPA are band aides that make people feel good and solve nothing. They help the poor people in a bad situation and just encourage more to take the same path, resulting even more people coming here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies